1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your #1 rated beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Feb 13, 2013.

1. tuka

tuka Aficionado (190) New York Apr 17, 2012

DFH Burton Baton
    kemoarps likes this.
  2. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (555) Washington Apr 30, 2008

statistically speaking the beer that currently holds the highest rating amongst my rated is (drumroll please)...
    Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

And I'd like to thank... Wait, what's that music swelling in the foreground... you're playing me out ALREADY!?!
    boooooooo
    mrelizabeth and Bluecane like this.
  3. I think from my continuing purchases of different beer, it has yet to be found.
    kemoarps and MostlyNorwegian like this.
  4. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I don't review, but I'd say my #1 would have to be Struise Double Black. Honorable mention to BCBVS and Goose Island Xocolatl/Mayan Gold.
  5. Heady Topper is atop my list. Has been since my first sip about 15 months ago.
  6. FatHeads Headhunters IPA.
  7. Currently Cherry Adam from the Wood. Easily. That beer just blew me away. It obviously had a ton of Cherry and Bourbon flavors, but the base beer had so much complexity and the layers just kept evolving. I couldn't get enough of it. I want a full case of it already.

(Spoiler Alert: King Henry is a new favorite, the video just hasn't been uploaded yet.)
  8. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

La Fin Du Monde
    seakayak likes this.
  9. st bernardus abt 12
  10. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

It's a tie... Founder's IS and Trappistes Rochefort 10
  11. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

Citra followed closely by pliny the younger.
  12. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (460) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Bourbon County Coffee shares the top spot with Kuhnhenn BBBW for me.
  13. weonfire

weonfire Savant (340) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

Bell's - Black Note Stout. 4.9
  14. Pliny the Elder on draft. It was my #1 over Heady Topper and Pliny the Younger by a nose. That review is now gone, deleted in the multiple serving types purge. Pliny in bottles is junk compared to on draft. If it still seems good to you, that's how good the beer is despite the abuse of being bottled.
  15. 50/50 Imperial Eclipse EC 20 and Westy 12 are tied for my number one in my ratings. I think those ratings actually reflect my current feelings of best beer Ive had. Pegs Rare and BB4D are very close, and also in my top 10 ratings wise. Hopslam is my favorite beer, but for me its hard for an IPA/DIPA to match up with the big complex styles in terms of 'best' beer.
  16. I've been lucky enough to have Pliny the Elder on tap and in the bottle and found them comparable (both very good). It's really all about the freshness. People always assume that having it on tap is fresh but who knows how long that keg is sitting around before it's tapped. And you can get a week old bottle that is sublime so not really fair to label it "junk".
    1424IpA likes this.
  17. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

Darkness 2008 was the beer that fueled The inner beer geek in me. Hands down the best I have ever had the pleasure to taste.
  18. Beejay

Beejay Savant (495) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

Westy 12, followed by Black Tuesday.
  19. Ten Fidy
    By a slim margin over
    Enjoy By
  20. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (185) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

I loved the tenth anniversary Ruination.
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  21. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

Pliny The Elder and Heady Topper. Great brews!
  22. Huffaroma

Huffaroma Savant (260) Montana Jan 2, 2012

Most recent would be Dogfish head Midas Touch. Not the most hoppy and extreme but a very Good balance. Best beer of all time would be Widmer's Snow Plow no longer in circulation.
  23. Maine brewing "Lunch" takes first place for me...Palate Wrecker and Stone "Enjoy by" being tied for second. But also I might include that I've yet to enjoy any HT or Zombie Dust, one or both of those could influence that ranking lol
  24. Atlas1977

Atlas1977 Aficionado (125) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Black Albert or flossmor barrel aged hi-fi rye
  25. tacoME

tacoME Aspirant (30) Maine Jan 29, 2013

Had Mo on draft at a local restaurant. Spent half my dinner thinking about whether or not they would sell me the rest of the keg. Quite possibly one of the finest brews a functional alcoholic can imbibe.
  26. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

So far mine is Goose Island Bourbon County Cherry Rye.
    CTJman likes this.
  27. shagens

shagens Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2013

I do not think I can pick one but I can narrow it down to 3
    Goose Island Bourbon Barrel Coffee
    Orkney Brewery Dark Island Reserve
    De Molen Hel and Verdomenis variant with the red wax cap
    Not far behind would be
    Nebraska Brewing Black Betty
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Calvodos Edition
    Mikkeller Black and Black Buffalo
    North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin Aniversary BB age RIS
  28. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (600) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

I like the bc cherry rye and Heady of course
  29. When reviewing mine I was surprised so no comment because it wasn't what I expected contrary to what I thought. Prost everyone! :)
  30. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Bourbon County Coffee
  31. duobob

duobob Savant (255) Illinois Oct 10, 2012

Zombie Dust!
  32. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

At this current point in time...

Probably.... Fat Head's Head Hunter. It's simply the perfect IPA for me. It's not alcohol heavy, it smells of strong grapefruit and pineapple, and has the bitter hop bite with little to no malt backbone. Absolutely delicious, and perfect any time of the year.
  33. Tie between Bourbon Barrel Plead The 5th, and KBS for me
  34. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Cherry Rye.

I will never have enough of this
  35. MMVolcom

MMVolcom Aspirant (30) California Sep 23, 2012

Port Hop 15... Stone 15th
  36. BCBS.

BITCHHHHHH
  37. fall/winter: KBS (honorable mention to tenfidy and old raspy)
    spring/summer: Heady Topper (honorable mention to Hopslam and Lunch (sorry PtE))
  38. Lagunitas Sucks
  39. I've long since given up on saying this is number 1. There's always something else.
    Mattco likes this.
  40. I've got two beers tied for highest score at 4.9, Duvel and Bourbon County Rare. Is Duvel one of my two favorite beers of all time? No, but I do make an effort to rate to style, and it's pretty much the definition of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale (similarly, if I ever get around to reviewing Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I'm sure it'll end up scoring quite high). Bourbon County Rare I opened within a month or two of its release and it was absolutely sublime. Definitely an all time great drinking experience for me. Honorable mentions go to KBS and Firestone 14 for scoring above a 4.8 (4.85 and 4.83 respectively).