1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your #1 rated beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Feb 13, 2013.

1. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Rochefort 10. It really is noticeably better than every other beer I've ever had, though a younger and more properly stored Westy 12 might give it a run for its money. We shall see.
  2. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

Haven't technically rated yet. But having only consumed one pint of Heady Topper six months ago, it's the only beer I can imagine the taste of so vividly. And Ommegang BPA really blew me away recently.
  3. lsiberian

lsiberian Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 11, 2013

My top rated is the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. I love that beer, but the Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale I tried this week might be my favorite so far. I got a lot more to try though.
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  4. FBS. Protip: It tastes best on a Sunday afternoon when the family is all napping and Ohio State (Football or BBall) is on TV.
    In all seriousness, this beer was a 4.5 when I had it in the evening, and a perfect 5 in the afternoon. Reconfirmed multiple times, for my palate this is the PERFECT afternoon beer. For my "Had", averaged it out to a 4.75.
    And yes, I suppose I should probably try this in the morning, considering the name. My wife would probably start looking up numbers for AA if I broke out a beer at breakfast though...
    jtdolla911 and SometimesIfart like this.
  5. RichD

RichD Advocate (605) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I don't have any on hand. Is there a specific year you're looking for?
  6. JTBruin8

JTBruin8 Disciple (70) Georgia Feb 5, 2011

Rochefort 10
  7. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

My hads show 4.75 for only Celebrator, Ruination 10th, Bourbon County Coffee & Old Backus ( barleywine found on cask at Free State in Lawrence KS)
    As part of a winter weekend I had two sniffers of Old Backus Friday and opened a King Henry ( previous 4.5) and Sucaba 2012 ( just gave 4.5) before and after the game.
    Upon reflection I need to bump King Hank up a notch, so much going on there even compared to two great English style Barleywines.
  8. Right now as the world spins around, I have to say that after a bottle share this past weekend with 5 different FiftyFifty Imperial Eclipse's, a White Chocolate, Consecration, and NUMEROUS great brews; the one that really stood out for me was a Mother Earth (N.C.) Windowpane Series Fig and Raisin. That shyt is off the hook !!
  9. To date it would have to be The King named Henry.
  10. Mandy0494

Mandy0494 Aspirant (25) Oct 10, 2012

#1 Beer is: Cutters Empire bourbon Barrel Stout
  11. #1 for me is 2006 BA Darkness. A friend of mine received one and we had a big tasting around it. I would also throw in Rare, King Henry, Black Tuesday and 2008 IST.
  12. tlacott1

tlacott1 Aficionado (130) Maryland Jun 16, 2012

I think I would have to go with Zombie Dust. Hard to choose though.
  13. The Abyss
    Cherry Rye
    Birth of Tragedy
    Founders Imperial Stout
    Short's Publican Porter
    Kern Citra DIPA
    ...Ok I guess that is 6.
  14. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

You don't get a name like "the king of beers" for nothing!
  15. fitrock2112

fitrock2112 Aficionado (210) Ohio Aug 28, 2012

KBS in the spring, Kellerweis in the summer, Backwoods Bastard in the fall, Too many good Imperial Stouts in the winter to mention.
  16. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Mine would be Heady Topper, Backwoods Bastard and anything Bourbon County
  17. fitrock2112

fitrock2112 Aficionado (210) Ohio Aug 28, 2012

18. Jonbw

Jonbw Savant (345) Mississippi Dec 19, 2012

Three Floyds' Dreadnaught IPA, Three Philosophers
    Docrock likes this.
  19. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I thought that's the regular?
  20. alex021224

alex021224 Savant (295) Michigan Nov 3, 2012

I have two beers that I rated a 5, Founders Backwoods Bastard & BCBS. But I would give the edge to Backwoods Bastard.
  21. celfan

celfan Savant (455) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Heady
    Hill Farmstead Abner
    Lawson's Double Sunsine
    Kern Citra

it's a big drop after that
  22. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Heady topper is perfect
  23. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I would love to get my hands on XII.
  24. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Aficionado (225) Indiana Jan 1, 2012

BA Behemoth wick Cherries.
    Docrock likes this.
  25. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Alpine Bad Boy followed by Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine.
  26. RichD

RichD Advocate (605) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Good luck finding XII. I've only seen XV and XVI in my neck of the woods. Hell, if I found XII, I might buy it for myself!
  27. CoachC

CoachC Aficionado (165) Florida Nov 25, 2012

Bell's Hopslam
  28. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

Out of 118 beers so far, Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.
  29. Fresh Nelson. Perfect stuff.
  30. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (525) Florida May 25, 2012

31. 1. Pliny the Younger 2. Heady Topper 3. Citra
  32. Westy 12, CBS, and Fall-Zombie Dust, winter-Zombie dust, spring-zombie dust, summer-Zombie dust!
  33. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

By rating, Blaecorn Unidragon. Gave it a perfect score. Haven't had it in a while, maybe I'll revisit that soon. Closely followed is Rochefort 8.

Off the top of my head though, the 2009 Black Tuesday I had for my birthday a few months ago was better. As was 2010 KTG.
  34. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Struise Black Damnation V: Double Black still counts as the best single beer I've ever had. Absolute perfection in technique and execution.

Black Damnation II: Mocha Bomb is the one I'd be willing to drink morning, noon and night though. Amazing stuff and I'm praying for a re-release so I can stock up.
  35. Toss up between apple brandy hunaphu and westvleteren 8 and HotD Matt. If I could drink these three beers everyday I would be the happiest man in the world
  36. 2005wendyrika

2005wendyrika Disciple (70) Belgium Jun 10, 2012

Black Damnation serie by The Struise Brouwers.
  37. DenMar

DenMar Aspirant (35) Nov 4, 2012

Cuvee Delphine by Struise closely followed by an aged Beer Geek Breakfast by Mikkeller.
    2005wendyrika likes this.
  38. True, freshness could be playing a big part. For what it's worth, I've never had a Pliny in bottle that I even thought was in the top tier of all IPAs. I've had PtE from a growler from RR flown by checked baggage side by side against a bottle shipped FedEx from CA same time frame, and the bottled beer was in a lower class like it's a different beer, IMO, not just less good than the draft. Of course the bottled beer couldn't have been as fresh.

However, maybe it's the transit mode that makes the difference. I shipped Heady Topper to myself to share with family on vacation and it wasn't nearly as good as I expected. When I got home two weeks later, the cans left from the same case as that shipment were still like new. Cans and bottles perhaps don't kindly suffer being thrown around in a truck for several days.

Wish we could just get PtE and PtY on draft here in Massachusetts. We're so spoiled with good beer--spoil us some more. ;)
  39. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

According to my ratings:

Splinter Gold (when it was fresh)
    Alpine Bad Boy
    Surly Moes Bender
    Cascade Sang Noir
    Apple Brandy Hunahpu's