1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your beer line up for Super Bowl XLVII?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

I've got a buddy coming over who's not very educated in the ways of the craft and just downs everything, going to have to find something on the cheaper side so he doesn't drink all my good stuff lol. Any suggestions? They have an Abita Variety pack on sale never had any of their stuff maybe I'll get that? Plus it come with a free glass FTW

2. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'm going to our family's annual Super Bowl party and planning on introducing the brothers to Sucks. They love Little Sump'n Sump'n so I'm guessing that they be easy enough to win over. Not sure what else I'm bring yet. One brother loves stouts and the other refuses to drink anything heavy. I may do a mixed pack of NG Blonde and Revolution Eugene.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  3. seakayak likes this.
  4. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

I'll be in the land of Citra

5. chetw

chetw Aficionado (170) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

Hopslam, Nugget Nectar, Founders Breakfast Stout.

6. Ommegang Abbey Ale, Luganitas Sucks

highdesertdrinker and mecummins like this.
  7. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Saving all my good stuff for the FA Cup final in May.

8. Borkinator

Borkinator Zealot (80) Vermont Mar 2, 2011

keg of shed IPA and maybe a bottle of Anchorage Love Buzz?

9. rayre

rayre Initiate (0) California May 13, 2010

Starting with a Pliny.... Label has niners red and white, and it pours gold! Oh and a little good luck ducks green for my boy LMJ! Ok, maybe I just keep finding excuses to drink pliny. Hopefully celebrating with a '10 Abyss.

10. GO Gunners! ;)

BeachRez likes this.
  11. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Savant (295) Florida Jun 30, 2011

Doing a Pale Ale and IPA tasting. Lots of different breweries; Cigar City, 3 Floyds, Green Flash, Firestone, Deschutes, etc. Really just need to do some Spring cleaning bc people are starting to get generally concerned for my health and hording problem, haha.

12. Buttermilk

Buttermilk Savant (315) Illinois Jul 9, 2010

Party at a buddy's house - he's stopping at 3 Floyds to get some growlers :)

I'll be bringing some Lagunitas Sucks, Hopslam and possibly some Flying Jenny (Grey Sail) and 'gansett Porter.

13. grrrah

grrrah Savant (385) California Sep 21, 2009

A sixer of sucks
    Growler of hopocalypse white label
    Bomber of hopocalypse black label

14. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

since I am rooting for the 49ers, maybe some Anchor or Sierra Nevada.

15. Sucks, Sucks, and Sucks! I'll drink my first Rochefort 10 the night before while watching Argo and smoking the ribs.

bifrost17 likes this.
  16. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Work until 8. Then maybe a leftover beer or two along with some food that is not good for you. I bought a cheap mixed twelve pack of Horny Goat beer today (it had three dark beers out of four so I said why not) so whatever I have left from that on Sunday I'll drink.

17. not necessarily for the Super Bowl. however, this weekend i'll be doing a tasting with a buddy of mine including:

BCS '12, BCS Coffee, BCS Cherry, BCS Baudoinia (convinced a bar to fill a growler for me!) can't wait to try these all side by side. the only one brew i haven't had out of the 4 is the cherry. needless to say, i am thoroughly looking forward to this.

josephwa likes this.
  18. jlt6116

jlt6116 Aficionado (205) California Oct 13, 2009

Keg of Drakes _________. Not sure what I'll be having from them yet but it'll be awesome.

19. Shout out from SF! Anchor Steam for sure...Helped the Giants win 2 world series in 3 years...May crack some special bottles for the occasion...Drakes Black Label Hopocalypse perhaps...Go 49ers!

20. For a the pre game hype Ola Dubh 12-16-18 hut hut ,
    & as soon as The Star Bangled Banner is done I will crack open
    Deschutes 'The Abyss' and sip a great beer while
    watching a great game , hopefully , Go Ravens

21. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I absolutely could not care less about football. I went to Auburn University and still barely know the rules. That said, I will not be watching the Superbowl.

However, I was invited to a Puppy Bowl party. I didn't know what the Puppy Bowl is, but after Googling, I've found that it's an Animal Planet special where they toss a whole bunch of puppies in this little "football field" with puppy toys and pretty much record them playing and wrestling for two hours. That sounds way more exciting than football. I share the sentiments with the rest of my friends (who don't care about football) that we should be drunk for this. The Puppy Bowl will be enjoyed at a pizza joint that has some craft brews. Absolutely nothing extraordinary, but I anticipate that I'll be enjoying some Rogue Dead Guy Ales and, my guilty beer pleasure, White Rascals.

markmcconv likes this.
  22. tfischl

tfischl Aficionado (185) Indiana Dec 28, 2005

In honor of the 9'ers - SN Bigfoot, SN Pale Ale, SN Torpedo, Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty Ale!

ChanChan likes this.
  23. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

A client just slipped me these. Guess I now know what we're having besides Sucks!
    [​IMG]

davesway10 and ChanChan like this.
  24. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I generally try not to open anything too special, as the focus will be on the game. Opening a rare beer is an occasion unto itself for me.

I got a growler of NEBC Gold Stock, and I will be picking up a growler of NEBC Fuzzy Baby Ducks for the event.

25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I bought a Growler for Sunday. Snake River Darth Vader Russian Imperial Stout.

cavedave and highdesertdrinker like this.
  26. Nugget Nectar
    Nugget Nectar
    Nugget Nectar
    Nugget Nectar
    Nugget Nectar
    Nugget Nectar

27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Been making progress drinking the cellar. I'm thinking Super Bowl a good excuse to make more headway. Used to be unable to make it to this section. Maybe find something good in this mess, not 100% sure what lurks in the behinds.
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

It looks like you have a big glass there. Maybe you'll be lucky like me and find a bottle that fill 'er up.;)

cavedave likes this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Somewhere in there are a bunch of Super Kitty's from back in the day, can't remember what years or how many. Be nice to run into those friends again, but filling that glass with em probably not the best idea at 12%. Unless, hey, you won't be in the neighborhood will you?

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Hill Farmstead: Abner, Foster, Arthur, Life Without Principle, Earl

31. Bitterbill

No or I'd help you with that.;)
    That RIS I posted about is also 12% and since I won't be in your neck of the woods, I doubt you'll be in mine.:(

cavedave likes this.
  32. dman127

dman127 Savant (250) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

A growler of Tired Hands HopHand or The Light and for my stout loving buddy, a 2011 Hunaphu.

33. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Hoping to get to New England Brewing tomorrow and grab a few growlers of FUZZY BABY DUCKS.

34. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

In essence, this is just a glorified latest haul, but on "specialty" weekends with events like the Superbowl, I don't get in as much trouble for dropping so much money on beer ;) (thanks, hon!)

So I got lotsa stuff - not all for Sunday, of course - and most of this is new, setting the stage for a "New Beer Sunday - Superbowl Edition" (only the Skull Splitter, Vintage Ale, Anniversary Ale (previous year's vintage, tho'), and London Porter are familiar) - alright, enough already - here's the goods:
    [​IMG]
    Really wanted to mix it up:
    Fuller's London Porter
    Uinta's Anniversary Barley Wine
    Sierra Nevada's Tumbler
    Yes! I scored a: Barrel-Aged Bigfoot
    21st Amendment's Brew Free or Die
    Fuller's Vintage Ale
    Sixpoint's 3Beans
    Allagash's Four
    Allagash's Tripel (the guy just threw this one in for free!)
    Lagunitas' Sucks
    Orkney's Skull Splitter

Believe it or not, even with all that, I'm unable to stop thinking about Thomas Hardy's Ale, Pannepot, and Verdi - so there's a good chance that they make an appearance, too... :rolleyes:

And for the record, I don't care who wins the Superbowl - both teams stink - lol (Steeler and Giant fan, you see (didn't do much this season did they? :mad:)) - hey, makes the beer even more important :D!

See y'all later!

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

The only beer that I've designated for the Super Bowl so far is a bomber of Wookey Jack. I'll fill in the rest with some Hopslam, Sucks, Brown Shugga and a Stone Sublimely Self Righteous.

36. Lagunitas Sucks, Southern Tier 2X, Sublimely Self-Righteous, Big Foot, Founders Imperial Stout, and a Backwoods Bastard.

37. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Palate wrecker (x2), sucks (x2), couple GI X-mas...Bed...

38. Heading to Delaware to have brews from Dogfish's restaurant.

39. nugget provided it arrives in time. if not, hoponius will do.

40. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

mmmmmm sounds delicious

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.