What's your Beer Strategy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcaulifww, Jan 14, 2013.

1. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

I recently bought a bcbs Cherry Rye for 18 bucks and asked myself, "Why did I just spend 18 bucks on a bottle o beer? I'm sure it'll taste good, but at that price I could land a solid 6er of a seasonal release". In my world I consider this a Whale, some may consider it a special release, but none the less, what do you find yourself purchasing the most of and why?

I've decided that I'd like to get away from Whale super limited releases and one-off brews and try to enjoy a healthy variety of seasonals and regular special releases.

Sludgeman and GeddyLeeRocks like this.
  2. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

I'd be happy to take that bad boy off your hands if your having second thoughts. However in reply to your post, I do buy some year round stuff for casual drinking. But most of the time I'll stick with the seasonal / limited.

Azzy likes this.
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

My beer strategy: I go to the beer store in search of one particular beer and end up walking out with 100$+ worth of stuff.

Reminds me of my mother when I was young. "Don't worry, we're just going to the store for milk and bread." Two shopping carts, three hours, and 250$ later... well, you get the idea.

Kelp, Torieos, jzeilinger and 23 others like this.
  4. (e) - None of the above.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

My strategy is if a beer sounds interesting to me and doesn't have an absurdly low score on beer review sites I buy it. People say "it's only beer, they'll make more", and I say it's only money I'll make more. You are only on this planet once, don't skimp on treating yourself.

That said, if you are in a rough financial spot you probably should prioritize and shouldn't be trading or buying $15 bombers.

mrhartounian, powz87, MarioM and 17 others like this.
  6. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Strategy implies your trying to win something? right?
    Strategy (Greek "στρατηγία" (strategia), "art of troop leader; office of general, command, generalship"[1]) is a general, undetailed plan of action, encompassing a long period of time, to achieve a complicated goal.

no I do not have one of those, I do have a fixed income and a budget. its why I homebrew like a crazy person now days.

7. mcaulifww

What's your strategy?

Gregfalone likes this.
  8. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I also suffer from this so-called "strategy" :)

9. mcaulifww

your goal is to drink some tasty brews. you do so by considering your budget and income (a wise move) and homebrewing. Sounds like a strategy to me, but if you don't like that word then feel free to substitute a more applicable one for the sake of the topic.

azorie likes this.
  10. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

My beer strategy is to enjoy it.

11. azorie

was just sarcasm, ie. No the real point is if you go into a store WITHOUT a plan your going to spend your ass off on beer at first.

mcaulifww likes this.
  12. mcaulifww

seems the poll isn't showing up....

13. azorie

too late i done that before....

14. j47paco

j47paco Savant (370) California Dec 19, 2010

That's what she said.

domtronzero, Brunite, wesbray and 5 others like this.
  15. I buy and drink beers that are fresh, reasonably priced and regularly available that satisfy my desires. I stopped buying what I was "supposed" to drink and ticking new beers only because they were new to me long ago and I am much more satisfied drinking what I like to drink on a regular basis.

rocdoc1, azorie and mcaulifww like this.
  16. I usually go looking for a particular beer. I try to get that one as long as it's not priced unusually high.

Otherwise, I'll grab something new to satisfy my ticking need. I also write a blog, so I try to get something that has a cool story to make writing a little easier. If all else fails, I try to find something that my girlfriend will like. I'm slowly breaking her into bigger and better beers. We've gone from none, to just oud bruins, to wheats, so I'm thinking saisons are in the near future.

Also, if I see a Belgian sour that is at all rare, I'll usually grab it unless it's too pricey. Can't pass them up.

17. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

My only strategy is to walk into my Total Wine with the hand basket and not the shopping cart.

18. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

i usually go in with the mindset of one beer to cellar and one seasonal six or four pack. usually changes when i see what they have.

19. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

I go after beers from breweries I like and trust that I haven't had before, or interesting sounding seasonals or new releases. Cost factors in but if something gets in the 20$ range for a bottle I"m not sure I'll love I usually call around to my local drinkers asking if someone wants to split this bottle with me, it works often.

JimSmetana likes this.
  20. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Tactics might be the better word for the short-term store visit? And interesting thought that "whale" can be a relative term (from the OP) - makes sense to me. Strategy - I'd be in the try as many tasty brews as I can afford category.

First, I have a lot more beer-wareness than I had two years ago, so I can spot some of the highly sought after prizes. I don't really hunt them down. Lately, I've been buying a four or six pack of something I know I enjoy, then picking out a handful or two (depending on the budget) of things I want to try or that look interesting. I know a lot more about the flavor profiles I like now, but will try almost anything. As a result, I have a real mixture of "this and that" sitting on the beer shelf. I might go on a spree in terms of a brewery moreso than a particular style. I also tend to stock up and then empty the cache rather than continually buying and adding - I'm usually a one a night, maybe two, kind of drinker so building the stash makes no sense (as somebody told me - drink 'em when you get 'em).

The huge flaw (depending on your outlook) is walking out leaving something behind that is probably a "must try"...I've left Breakfast Stout and BCBS variants sitting on the shelf (before I knew that was akin to a mortal sin ;)) If I was truly seeking a particular beer and it blew the whole budget - would really have to think twice. Think I would still try a pod of porpoises versus one whale. Anything over $15 a bottle gives me pause to think no matter how highly rated, hyped, or genuinely desirable.

mrcraft likes this.
  21. My strategy is as follows:

While people trample one another for a $38 bottle of The Bruery Fruet, I will grab a sixer of Mayflower Porter, a sixer of Ithaca Flower Power, a sixer of Long Trail Double Bag and a bomber of Pretty Things Jack D'or for the same $38.

Drink the reasonably priced, often under appreciated beers and save the "whales" for the chumps.;)

If I get lucky enough to try a whale at a beerfest or from a friend, great! Otherwise, I don't really care.

22. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Well, I do buy my regular go to beers for everyday consumption with dinner of what not, but then when I do go to Wine Works I make it a habit to select a different Italian beer for my research and if I am feeling more froggy, I will try something from a new brewery I have never had, whether it be American, Belgian, or from where ever! Very simple strategy for me!

23. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

My 2012 strategy was drink as many Beers of Fame as I could and get a better understanding of what I like and don't like. My 2013 strategy is to not buy bourbon aged beers and stick to IPAs, Stouts, and most Belgians.

24. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I believe there is a reason why we are beer friends here! hehe Though I will never be shaking my head at whale buyers, I will though enjoy and same as I know you do what we love. No harm to any party and everyone wins! :D

Providence likes this.
  25. It's in a state of flux. I have stopped buying and trying new beers just because I haven't tried them yet. Too many misfires. If I'm in the mood for something new, I research what may be available at my local stores or bars, check out a few ratings, then go for it. I've also tried to try more new beers on draft or in single bottle purchases so I don't waste money. Other than that, I prefer IPAs over all other styles so I try to drink down my inventory when I know there will be a seasonal release I want. This month I have a problem. Two seasonal releases [Sucks & Nugget Nectar] so I'll have to get rid of those pesky bottles of water so there's more room in the beer fridge.

JxExM likes this.
  26. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Sadly, I have a hard time assigning value to 'money' I tend to value 'things' more. This is often hard on my wallet, but good for my beer fridge.

So my strategy tends to be, "buy the beers I'm interested in, and be shocked at how much I spent later."

That said, I did resist the bottle of Utopias I saw. Although occassionally, I regret that. :)

mcrago and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  27. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I dont have one. I wing it. All day everyday. Just go with the flow.

Cheers!

HarrySTruman likes this.
  28. I usually set a dollar limit, but once in a while exceed it. I like buying things I've never had before and try really hard to not buy the same stuff twice, and every once in a while I like springing for the more expensive stuff. Buy what you can afford, and what you know you like.

YogiBeer likes this.
  29. Yeah, I definitely understand the whole "whale slaying" thing. I was like that for a brief period of time when I first got into craft. It wore off quick though as I realized I was paying twice the price for beer that was not twice as good as the stuff I can get in my own backyard.

30. Brew versions of the world-class UK, Czech, and German beers I fell in love with when I lived abroad. Support local brewers who are committed to providing the most well-crafted, freshest product available, even if it means limiting distribution so I have to travel to get it. Continue to travel to drink the world's best beers -- 99% of which are readily available in their home region -- in their original settings.

frazbri likes this.
  31. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

Everything is based around a set weekly budget and then the pecking order is A) highly sought after bottles B) Seasonals C) Everyday beer. I have no problem blowing the weeks budget on a couple bottles that I have no intention of drinking anytime soon and then just not having a beer that week. Being able to try new thigs and having the ability to trade for something I'm interested in trying is the main thing. It is along the lines of quality over quantity but that doesn't necassairly fit as stuff like Two Hearted is obviously still "quality".

I think sticking to the budget prevents "hoarding" and it also forces me to be pickier about which seasonals I buy because I can't afford to get them all. I know all the cool kids are going to say they've grown up and are happy picking up the weeks SNPA but ultimately it's all about what YOU enjoy right?

32. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I simply try to find a good mix of buying/drinking year rounds/seasonals I love, trying new beers that look interesting, and maybe getting ahold of a special beer every once and a while.

33. I realize that I will not get any rare beers where I live. What I do is search out and find the really great gems I can get my hands on. When ever I travel to another state or larger city I try and search out the brew pubs and craft brewers and try their beers. I realy work on the local and regional stuff and the seasonal stuff from national guys.

I kind of think of it as spending all of my time obsessing over sleeping with a 10 and not enjoying all of the home town 7's I can actually get my hands on. Isnt five 2's as good as one 10? LoL

34. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I enjoy buying rare/really expensive beers only for special occasions. I find that the extra price isnt' normally worth it. I just find that there are too many great beers out there for say, 10 bucks, as opposed to paying 30+ for something similar. For example, I'm sure that all of the Eclipse/50 50 barrel aged stouts are amazing, but You can find similar beers for half the price or less. Hell, I paid 10 bucks for a four pack of Sierra Nevada Narwhal and thought that was the best deal ever.

35. Dead easy. I go to the pub and see what's on the pumps. If it's a beer I haven't had before I ask for a sample (if I need to, often as not it will be offered)
    Then I can decide what to buy.I keep on buying until I've had enough.

frazbri likes this.
  36. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

Only if you drink them all at the same time.

37. I don't think I've ever gone in with a set amount of $ to spend, more an amount of beer I want to leave with depending on the occasion. I have gone into some stores knowing that they had a bottle I wanted to try, so I'll go in and look for that. If I know it's something I'm going to cellar, then I view that as an "investment" in some way, and then will buy a sixer or a 4 pack of something I know I'll enjoy and wil drink straight away.

Other times I'll go thinking along the lines of "I've got a dinner tonight, then x event, and then y event" and will buy depending on what I've got going on and when I know the next time I'll make it back to the beer store. I'll also buy depending on my audience. For example, if a friend is coming for dinner and I know that they like a variety of "good" beers, then I'll usually throw somethings in the cart or basket that I want to try and want them to try too.

If I'm having dinner and just want to have something in the fridge to offer up, then I'll buy a couple of sixers of things I know are good.

I suppose circumstances dictate my strategy, unless I am seeking something out specifically...then the beer dictates.

38. it's not a whale, nor is it a wale. Cripes.

domtronzero likes this.
  39. IKR

IKR Savant (320) California May 25, 2010

My strategy is to get and drink the best beers I possibly can with a reasonable amount of effort and continue honing my home brewing skills to narrow the gap between what I can make and what's available.

StaEva and TWStandley like this.
  40. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

More recently I've been buying seasonal stuff that I know I wouldn't be able to get if I didn't get it right there and then, such as Wake n Bake. I bought a 4 pack one day last week at one store and another the next day at a different store because I knew they wouldn't have it next time I was there. In between I've been buying lots of mix a sixs to try different things. I just started buying whales now too, two FW 16th, great divide 2012 imperial cappuccino stout, and a BCBCS. So basically I tend to buy a little bit of everything and let my mood dictate what to drink more than my wallet (Lagunitas capp stout this year has been happy to fulfill both).

Zach136 likes this.