1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your Beer Strategy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcaulifww, Jan 14, 2013.

1. I like to go to stores and look for out of date stock and whine about it to a clerks who dosen't care. Than i post about it on BA.
    5thOhio and zach60614 like this.
  2. My strategy is.. Pay rent.. Buy ramen noodles and pasta for the week...go spend way too much money on beer.
    reyes29201 likes this.
  3. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

I like the wording "I'd like to" as opposed to "I'm going to" because you aren't.
    mcaulifww likes this.
  4. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

My strategy is try everything once and only buy what I like after that.
    FEUO likes this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

For 18 bucks you could have bought two sixers of some average beer you can get every day. I'm sure spending 18 bucks doesn't leave you broke, so forget about and just enjoy it, most here will never see that bottle on the shelf.
  6. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

My strategy is to try everything, buy enough to share, and to exercise enough not to gain weight from actually drinking the beer.
  7. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

My strategy usually consist on going to the stores I frenquent and grabbing about 40-50 dollars worth of beer. What I buy depends on what they have. Its kind of a simple strategy.
  8. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (885) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Drink mostly homebrew and then obtain as much Hill Farmstead, Tired Hands, Upright, and Logsdon as possible. Other than that, do my best to keep a very healthy stockpile of Drie Fonteinen, Cantillon, De Cam, Tilquin, and Girardin.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  9. My strategy? Why, thanks for asking.

A. Buy my favorites fairly often;
    2. Try new beers now and then;
    C. Splurge once in a while;
    IV. Skip any wildly expensive beers. (I'm a simple guy with a simple palate and probably wouldn't appreciate the depth, complexity and oh so subtle nuances of pricey beers. And besides, there's just waaay too many good beers out there at decent prices to overspend on costly beers);
    5. Stick with the reinheitsgebot philosophy and consume beers the way St. Gambrinus intended: hops, water, malt & yeast. No fruits, veggies, spices, or other flavors meant for the dinner table.
  10. beer is beer, right? as long as it contains ethanol and doesn't contain botulism and gets you real good and funny drunk, who cares if it tastes like your basement smells...
  11. My plan is to drink down my collection and home brew more.
  12. Old Rasputin. Always solid, affordable, and down-right delicious! Sure, there are some better RIS's out there, but for what it is, Old Raspy always delivers.
    keithmurray likes this.
  13. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Your A & B methods are how I started exploring beer in the pre-BA days. It works.
    Eastside151 likes this.
  14. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

My strategy of late has been:
    Do they have Alesmith?--Yes, buy Alesmith until my wallet can't take it.
    |
    |
    No---Do they have Lagunitas Sucks? Yes--Purchase it!
    |
    |
    No--Purchase Founders or Sierra Nevada---Leave store happy.
  15. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (390) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Nearest good bottle shop is 35 miles away, so make a run once a month.
    Since they give 20% off on mixed 6 packs, get roughly the equivalent of 2 cases, usually around 130 bucks
    Get mostly first time beers in styles I like that are rated above average (3.6) on BA
    Using this method, have accumulated a "go-to" list of 40+ beers, some of which I'll pick up if I have a hankering for them.
    Rarely get 6-pack of same beer, unless I really want it. Currrently looking at you FIS and Nugget Nectar.
    Make a few trips to relatively nearby brewpubs. Always bring back growlers.
    Go home, enjoy beer, and watch wife's lips get thinner.
  16. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

:Bows before thee: