1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your favorite beer accompanying snack?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Michigan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

It seems like most of my burps taste like a bourbon barrel stout and Goldfish. I prioritize my money to the beer, not the snack.

What are some of your favorite treats with your favorite beer?
  2. Not my favorite style, by any means, but a Baltic Porter with sunflower seeds.
  3. rholmes

rholmes Zealot (95) Florida Sep 11, 2012

Either Chips and salsa or a Super Pretzel if I happen to have some on hand.
  4. Cheese, bacon, meatballs, pizza rolls, Cheetos, pretzels, peanuts, dark chocolate, sausages, shrimps, bacon wrapped-creamcheese-filled jalepenos, humus and pita bread, chips and salsa, bean dip and fritos, potato chips, and sour cream and onion dip, ribs, fried chicken wings, I could go on forever... I didn't even pause to think while typing this
  5. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

It depends on the beer but cheese is the ultimate beer companion.
  6. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Imperial Souts with Ice Cream as some of LNBA friends may have noticed.

Chips and Salsa with IPAs.
  7. SirDirkDIggler

SirDirkDIggler Initiate (20) Jan 28, 2013

Cheese. Soft or semi-soft cheeses are always a winner. Tuma an underrated Italian cheese is like a mix between Asiago and Muenster. If you can find it get it, goes with every type of beer in my opinion.
  8. Do you grill them? or do you roast the peppers in tin foil? I find roasting the peppers in tin foil makes this snack amazing! Personally I am a big quesadilla fan with beer. Sweet potato fries are also super delish!
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  9. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I love eating a few of those Mini Babybel Cheese while sippin' on a Barleywine or Imperial Stout...They just go hand in hand...

Cheers!
  10. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I usually snack after I drink (you know how that goes). But in any case,I once had oreos with Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Oatmeal Stout which was heavenly. (And I'm not a big beer+food person). I wonder if oreos would compliment other stouts or porters as well?
  11. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

Mixed nuts and once I start its hard to stop. Its part of the reason I try and limit how much I drink or the amount of calories consumed gets way out of hand.
  12. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

Celebration and Snyder's Buffalo Hot Wings Pretzel Pieces
    injuredreserve likes this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Unsalted peanuts.
  14. Blue Cheese
  15. Nachos- the kind you make in the oven with real cheese, not the dipping cheez whiz stuff.

Superpretzels with stone ground mustard.

Roasted peanuts in the shell (it's also an activity!).
    beerandcycling88 likes this.
  16. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Peanut butter & jelly sandwich, or Stilton cheese.
  17. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Salt & vinegar potato chips. Has nothing to do with the beer, I just love those chips.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  18. I've had a milk stout run through a randall of oreos...named 'cookies & milk.' The answer is 'yes' they will:) It was so good.
  19. THIS.

Or pizza/wings for session beers.
  20. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I agree with cheese, but that list from Grefalone is pretty tempting too... I try not to snack when I drink beer because I can limit my beer easily, but if I start on chips or any other tasty munch out food I can get carried away. I would rather save the calories for the beer.
    Great list, and I will add Another vote for cheese. Most times I try not to snack when I drink beer because I can limit my beer easily, but if I start on chips or any other tasty munch out food I can get carried away. I would rather save the calories for the beer.
  21. Gonna go with wedges of sharp cheddar. Maybe some crackers.

I find that when I mix sweets with strong/bitter beer like Russian Imperial stouts, the sweet stuff tastes sickeningly sweet, and the beer just too bitter.

I dunno. I don't really like mixing opposites. But something savory I find goes well with beer.
  22. I don't generally eat until after I'm done drinking unless it's just a beer with dinner. When I was younger, it used to be about 30 White Castle burgers and a sack of fries after drinking! LOL!
  23. A shot of Bushmills
    Cdax likes this.
  24. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Homemade soft pretzels.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  25. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I eat after I drink, but if I am forced to eat while drinking over a long period of time like at a tasting I go with cheese and crackers.
  26. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I bet those would go great with gueuze.
    Hanzo likes this.
  27. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

[​IMG]
    Chicago-style, stuffed pizza with green peppers and mushrooms. The definitive snack with my Vienna Lagers or IPA.
    CreightonSM, BeerKangaroo and Lantern like this.
  28. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Cheez-Its or almonds usually.
    DagenhamDavis likes this.
  29. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

MEAT. And lots of it. Some mild sausage and hamburger meat with my brown ale is hard to beat. Some raw oysters with a stout is fantastic as well
  30. More beer.
    CreightonSM likes this.
  31. 1,000 day aged gouda.
  32. If I'm trying something for the first time I don't snack. Usually I break out the goldfish, Chips and Salsa, or Potato Chips and Top the Tater when I do snack.
  33. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

So what you're saying is that your brown ale makes it hard to beat your meat?
  34. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Too much brown ale would certainly result in that
    bifrost17 likes this.
  35. Avalon

Avalon Aspirant (45) California Jun 26, 2011

Pretzels with amazing mustard (preferably made with beer)!
    Saltiness anything goes well for me:)
  36. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I love those vegetable chips you can get at some grocery stores (Pavilions, Vons...) that are just by the pound.
  37. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

uh, really? sorry bro, but I think I'd rather have a Blonde Ale or an APA with sunflower seeds. Thinkin' of men's softball league games with Victory's Summer Love or a Headwaters and sunflower seeds sittin' on the bench waitin' for my turn at the plate.
  38. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

yeah, me too.
  39. I
    usually grill them, but sometimes I broil em for 5 minutes on each side
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  40. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Brownies, the special kind, paired with a massive stout.
    CreightonSM likes this.