1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your favorite Citra Hop beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 17, 2012.

1. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Santa Adairius Rustic Ales' Simple Citra, followed by Kern River Citra.
  2. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Funny enough, I posted that right before I found out Knee Deep was distributing here. I'm going to try to get my local shop to carry it.
  3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Zombie Dust without question. Wished more beers were brewed with only Citra.
  4. Fuzzy Baby Ducks.
    codasnap52 and darkandhoppy like this.
  5. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Doesn't Boneyard's RPM IPA also use Citra?

I swear I taste Citra. I love that beer and I can't wait until they start canning it, so I don't have to buy it by the growler and get fucked up drunk everytime I open it :)
  6. Zombie Dust is near perfection. But I like psuedoSue better. And 2011 Wet (Citra, because of Simcoe shortage) was beergasm-inducing.
  7. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

I live in California, and I can get those easily but my Dad lives in West Chester and I'd like to stir him toward the Simtra, which is a little expensive for an IPA, but certainly excellent!
  8. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

There are many good ones, I will go with White Rajah, Dark Horse Citra Crooked Tree and Zombie Dust.
  9. jgluck

jgluck Aficionado (210) California Apr 19, 2012

If you like Citra hops, Knee Deep's Citra is a great single-hopped APA that's worth trying. I haven't had it side-by-side with ZD or other acclaimed Citra beers, but I like it a lot better than the BA consensus seems to... maybe it has a short shelf-life? Try it!
  10. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to find out what kind of hops are in different beers? I am still new to the whole world of craft beer, and I know the beers that I like, but there are times when i am scared to try something new. If i could get an idea of what is in the beers that I really like, then I might be able to figure out some other beers that i have not had. I will still try new brewers/styles, but its nice to get something that I already know i like or should like.
    Tchfunkta likes this.
  11. 1) You can try looking at the brewer's description--some list ingredients.
    2) Google the beer. See what homebrewers are using in clones. Or you may find a description.
    3) You can sometimes email the brewery. Some brewers are forthcoming, others not so much. It helps if you have a clone recipe you're putting together as a homebrewer and just want to see how close you are.
    4) Work hard (meaning drink lots of beer) and you can start to differentiate among the different hop varieties. This is why some people describe Citra as a pineapple-mango citrus bomb and others describe it as cat piss (or, like me, both--which oddly enough is an amazing thing).
    Tchfunkta likes this.
  12. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Thank you. I agree with number 4 and rather than cat piss I think of an onion with bad BO that exploded in the beer. The bad or good thing is that I am really liking beers with those flavor profiles
  13. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

Good stuff, I worked on a clone recipe before surrendering to my ignorance. Abrasive is my top reviewed beer and despite not being the best I've "had", it is quite amazing.
  14. Must note that my previous selection of Zombie Dust is in a tie with Space from Half Acre!

[​IMG]
  15. I've never had it but will try to clone it as soon as it comes back on tap around here. I've accumulated some info on it and once I run a taste test, should be able to tell if there is citra or not. Pretty sure there is.
  16. reyolb

reyolb Aficionado (240) Minnesota Feb 23, 2005

Easily ZZZombie Dust (have a case to drink!) , then Abrasive
  17. been dying to try this. been on tap twice at the local bar and both times has kicked b4 i got a chance to try it
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Pure Citra Hops - Zombie Dust and Kern Citra. Blended Hops HF Susan, but the Citra is heavy. I have no clue what HT and or Abrasive use but they are fantastic.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Smokebox_79 likes this.
  20. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

When Surly Wet was 100% Citra two years ago. Ridiculous.
    sacrelicio and surlytwinsfan like this.
  21. ndak

ndak Aficionado (130) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2010

Love Kern River Citra.....have to mention that this beer also uses Nugget during the boil and Amarillo during dry hoping.
  22. roostor07

roostor07 Savant (320) Minnesota Jul 24, 2012

This for sure. It as so different when they changed to Simcoe this past year, and not the good kind of different. Hopefully they go back to Citra this year.
  23. Going to do an IPA in a couple weeks With Columbus and Cascade then dryhopped to hell with Citra! Very excited
  24. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Considering the beers I have had the chance to try:

Easily......New England Brewing Co.........Fuzzy Baby Ducks I.P.A. (6.2.%abv)

Cheers All.........
    codasnap52 likes this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

My last APA was cascade and citra. The cascade compliments the fruit flavors in the citra and helps cover some of the musky flavors.
    Smokebox_79 likes this.
  26. Although there is Amarillo in it, Citra DIPA from Kern River is unbelievable.
    1424IpA likes this.
  27. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

Summit hops if too young have a garlic onion BO profile. It ages into Tangerine.
  28. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

I recommend homebrewing, it really hones your beer senses.
    Smokebox_79 likes this.
  29. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I enjoyed this today.

[​IMG]

Hermitage Single Hop Citra. It didn't have anything I don't like about Citra like cat pee, sketchy dankness or weird bitterness. Completely different from Zombie Dust. I aspire to brew a beer just like it.
    MrDave likes this.
  30. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Never had Kern or HF, so I'm all-in with Orange Whip.
  31. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

What ^ he said!
    [​IMG]
  32. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Exactly...this and ZD
  33. Kern Citra and Zombie dust, cant forget HOPPY BIRTHDAY
  34. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

ISO: your hopped to hell citra IPA
  35. ....Guess I'm a noob... whats ISO?
  36. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

37. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

ISO = "In search of" ( when you are trading). :) It's a compliment.
  38. Wow!! That's awesome!! I haven't had anyone other than 1 or 2 of my brew buddies interested in my beer!! HAHA!
    2beerdogs likes this.