1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your favorite trappist?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roman5150, May 12, 2013.

1. Roman5150

Roman5150 Savant (300) Spain Mar 29, 2013

How many trappist beers have you guy's tried? So far i've had Orval, Chimay (all three), Achel, La Trappe/Koningshoeven Dubbel, Westmalle Dubbel/Trippel, and Trappistes Rochefort 6,8,10.. Here's my current stock, along with some great cheeses (seriously, if you don't pair quads with cheese, you're missing out).

[​IMG]

My favorites:

Dubbel: Achel
    Trippel: Westmalle
    Quad: Rochefort 10

I can't seem to enjoy Chimay as much as everyone else does, it's just too sweet for me.

I'm excited to go the Westvleteren abbey next year and check that off the list, along with Engelszell. Gonna hopefully grab a case so get your Dark Lords and Plinys ready!!!
    dan027 likes this.
  2. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Of the Belgian Trappistes I've had all but Chimay Doree & Petite Orval (Monk's table beers from each of those monasteries).

Out of the beers currently produced:

Strong Dark Ale / Quad: Westvleteren 12, followed closely by Rochefort 10
    Dubble: Achel Bruin
    Tripel: Chimay, followed very closely by Westmalle

Pale Ale: Westmalle Extra, followed closely by Westvleteren Blonde
    yamar68 likes this.
  3. Roman5150

How did those compare to their normal offerings? From what I understand most of the abbeys brew a 'Patersbier' which is lighter so the monks can drink all day and not be completely shitfaced. I'm curious to try one, i've heard Orval Petite was good but nothing special.
    BobZ likes this.
  4. Rochefort 10
    St Bernardus Abt 12
  5. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Of the table beers, I've only had the Westmalle Extra and I really enjoyed it.
  6. Roman5150

Technically not a trappist, but it's also "technically" the same recipe as a Westvleteren 12... ;)
  7. Orval is my overall favorite.

Dubbel: Westy 8

Trippel: Westmalle

Quad: Rochefort 10
  8. Orval. Less is more.
    Errto and LambicPentameter like this.
  9. Rochefort 8
    cnbrown313 and kuhndog like this.
  10. Thought I read St. Bernardus used to contract brew for the monks at Westy.
  11. Chimay Red
    Roman5150 and herrburgess like this.
  12. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

My favorite Trappist beer, thus far, is Rochefort 10.

However, on Tuesday, I'm scheduled to receive a Westy 12 (my first) from my trading partner, so we'll see if my answer changes or not...

After my Westy, I will have had beers from all 8 Trappist breweries. A great collection of beers!
  13. That has been an ongoing debate on this board since the birth of this board!
  14. All of them
    IrishKevin likes this.
  15. Westy 12 followed closely by Westmalle Dubbel.
  16. Rochefort 10 followed by Westy 12. Westmalle triple is excellent.

I cant stand any Chimays as they are too sweet.
  17. Orval is phenomenal
    rocdoc1 likes this.
  18. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

Dubbel: Westmalle
    Tripel: Westmalle
    Quadrupel: La Trappe

Belgian Pale ale: Orval with 2-3 years on it is the shit

All opinions aside, I haven't really been disappointed by any Trappist that I can recall. I also love the Achel and La Trappe Dubbels. Never seen any of the Blonde ales that some of them make at the store.
  19. Orval. They are the only trappist brewery that produces just one beer, and it is daaaaaaamn good. It also responds beautifully to aging.
  20. Westy 12 followed ridiculously closely by Rochefort 10. Westy 8 is fantastic, and so is Rochefort 8. A fan of la trappe's bock and tripel, and achel is pretty excellent with their offerings as well. I belive the only ones i havent tried so far are Stift Engelszell's Benno and Petite Orval. So I guess Westvleteren and Rochefort are my favorite trappists...haven't had one yet that I didn't like tho.
  21. dufman86

dufman86 Disciple (50) California Nov 21, 2010

I'd have to say having been to Westvleteren their Blonde stole the show over the 12. Delicious!

If you go to West Vleteren, you must also make the short trip to Oost (East) Vleteren and go to De Struise. It's right near the main road that you turn off to go to the Saint Sixtus Abbey.
    mattbk likes this.
  22. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Rochefort 10
    La Trappe Quad
    La Trappe Is'Ador (spelt wrong I'm sure)
    St. Bernd 12

Any of these paired with Chimay cheese, yeah yeah I know..........
  23. Jack's Abby!
  24. Roman5150

Yea if anyone could elaborate on this i'd love to learn more, from what I understand they basically used to be under the same roof and then split?
  25. In 1946, the St. Bernardus brewery in nearby Watou was granted a licence to brew beer under the St Sixtus name. This agreement ended in 1992; St. Bernardus still brews beers of similar styles, but under their own name.[3] That same year, the abbey opened its new brewery to replace the older equipment

So according to wiki St. Bernardus brewed under name of St Sixtus which is Westvleteryn. If they trusted the quality for 46 years that is saying something.
  26. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Chimay Red. My first trappist and my favorite.
    DJFairhurst likes this.
  27. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Rochefort 10, but La Trappe's Oak Aged Quad (well, batch 8 at least) is right up there.
  28. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Rochefort 6
    Chimay Red

(i love dubbels)
    DJFairhurst likes this.
  29. Westy 8 is just unbelievably good, especially with some years on it.
  30. Rochefort 10. An amazing beer that is readily available. I've yet to try Westy 12 but I doubt that it will be so much better that I could see myself regularly going through the hassle to get it.
  31. I just had Benno the other night. It's quite nice and very interesting, but not mind blowing. But it's nice to have a quasi-Saison in the Trappist quiver.
  32. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Orval overall for sheer uniqueness. Otherwise I'm quite partial to La Trappe, and more specifically their Bockbier.
  33. Well my avatar answers my favorite....followed by Chimay tripel, Isid'or Trap, Westmalle Tripel, Rochefort 8 and La Trappe quad. Haven't had all the Westy yet but I have had a small sample of vintage 2006 Westy 12 and it was absolutely amazing.
  34. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

Well, I dont like dubbels or quads, but my favorite tripel/pales are Delerium Tremens, Tripel Karmeleit, Piraat, and La Fin Du Monde. I am not sure which or these are actually Trappist beers, or if any are.
    Edit: Westmalle Triple and Orval also make the list, and I know they are Trappist beers:)
  35. None of those are but still excellent choices. (Tripel Karmilet is a bit too sweet for me in regards of a tripel) Cheers
  36. bobbyr5

bobbyr5 Savant (290) Michigan May 17, 2013

Roch 10.

Go Wings!
    Roman5150 likes this.
  37. For me it is Westy 12 followed closely by Rochefort 10. I have a La Trappe triple in the cellar so perhaps that will join the list.
  38. BruChef

BruChef Savant (285) New York Nov 8, 2009

Very little love for achel on this thread, even on this website for that matter. I feel like they've always been the overlooked, red headed step child of all the Trappist breweries. Despite achels fantastic ratings, the most reviews any one of their beers has is 520, while the other ones (roch, westm, chimay, Orval, westy) have at least a thousand or more. Is achel harder to find in some states or is it really just that overlooked? Imo, i think the Trappist extra is one of the best bsda's available.
    unclekeith likes this.
  39. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Chimay Blue. God told me it's his favorite beer, and I had to agree with Him.
    Premo88 likes this.