What's your "Non-Whale" surprise beer this year?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by henryspam, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Having just moved from Germany, Bitburger would be way down on my list of go to Pilsners, but I think much of the US is hurting for solid Pilsners.
    Luckily, this is not the case in Portland. Engelberg Pils, is one of my all time favorites and can easily be put up against any German pilsner, Heater Allen is very solid as well.

vurt and tronto like this.
  2. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (440) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Boogoop from Mikkeller and Three Floyds was a pleasant surprise for me.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  3. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Mad River Steelhead Extra Stout & Smuttynose Robust Porter are two standout regulars that I crave from time to time.

4. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (400) California Feb 15, 2011

Yeah that stuff was all kinds of delicious

cfrances33 likes this.
  5. Dude that Sloop Peach Berliner was amazingly good

cavedave likes this.
  6. tronto

tronto Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

I'm sure it is. Just one of my personal favs and kinda my gateway into craft. (even though its not craft)

7. Schlafly T-Ipa for sure. Sooooio fantastically done.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  8. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Yea I remember seeing this quite plentifully at City Beer last Dec (FW XIV) yet I couldn't find XV anywhere... also City Beer was charging $35 a bottle for it so, yea.

9. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

FWIW I stopped by the brewery last week and they have a special box of 14, 15 & 16 selling for $125. After seeing that I didn't feel so dumb for buying at least 2 bottles of each when they came out!
    Even better, they had bottles of 13 for sale at the restaurant for $100 a pop, dine in only!

10. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Impressive....jealous.

11. Wielder

Wielder Aficionado (160) Indiana Sep 5, 2012

Schlafly T-IPA. The regret of only buying a single six pack from the last case I saw.

duobob and creepinjeeper like this.
  12. Pellinore1

Pellinore1 Savant (280) Illinois Sep 22, 2010

I gotta second this one. Rayon Vert is the one beer I've found myself regularly encouraging other folks to try this year.

GennyCreamAle likes this.
  13. Lagunitas Brown Shugga and Maine Beer Mean Old Tom were both first time haves for me this year. They were also both pleasantly delicious.

Parabola and BCBS were also first times, but based on how hard they were to find in my area I would give them partial whale status.

14. jupe13

jupe13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Jan 18, 2006

Knee Deep Simtra was my surprise this year.

Nicolay3535 and UnknownKoger like this.
  15. Ever been to those Wholefoods 20% off events? Earlier this year the beer buyer found a few bottles of FW13 in the storage, I think I paid around $15 each. (20% off the original retail price)

luwak, El_Chupahueso and afrokaze like this.
  16. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Another good thing about that night, it gave you the idea of what to use for your BA user name ;)

17. afrokaze

Whoa that's awesome. I always do the rounds when they have the 20% off days, it's a great time to do some cellar building and try stuff I've had my eyes on. Last time the beer guy gave me some Cantillon from the back, but some 13 would be cool too :D

18. SN Narwhal
    Flanders Fred
    Sang Noir
    Imperial Biscotti Break
    Lagunitas Sucks

WassailWilly likes this.
  19. Leaf_hound

Leaf_hound Zealot (95) California Aug 29, 2012

The rio Reserva is no whale but... it does cost 35-40 for a bottle. It is one of the best quads I ever had though.

20. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Bells - This one goes to 11 ale

I had a tasting of fresh Pliny vs. fresh Heady Topper, then we finished up by drinking a 6 pack of 11 ale.

Different styles, yes, but everyone agreed that the 11 ale was the star of the night.

21. Was it James from Oakland Wholefoods?

22. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (290) New York Mar 6, 2009

Stillwater Premium and for whale status Schneider Hopfen Weise aged in Pinot/Gin barrels as part of the Zymatore project.

23. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Stuff I tried for the first time this year? Ballast Point Big Eye. Tried a lot of new stuff when I went to SF on spring break and I keep coming back to that as a surprise. The Pliny was good too, but I was expecting that.

24. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

It should be Ipswich Oatmeal Stout, which has blown me away every time I have tried it.

However, Deschutes's Red Chair blew me away even more.

So, Deschutes Red Chair.

Bitterbill and Mandark like this.
  25. I picked some up today. Brewed 11/24. Saw 2 places that had multiple cases of this left.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  26. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

I have to agree with this 1. Sebago bbbw for the win! Had it side by side with Firestone Walker Sucaba And it was not close

27. Palate Wrecker!!!

Indian Brown Ale
    And Bitch Creek ESB

duobob and fmccormi like this.
  28. For me the biggest surprise will be when Punk IPA more or less tastes the same over two successive batches.

29. afrokaze

Nope it was the beer guy from the Whole Foods on Bascom in San Jose (unfortuntely I'm terrible with names, but he was a cool dude and deserves a shout out.)

30. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Ooooh, Palate Wrecker. Excellent nomination.

flayedandskinned likes this.

31. Yeah pretty cheap for how much brett they use in it. Love that motherfunking beer.

fmccormi likes this.
  32. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I'm on my way to buy more! I killed a 4 pack way faster than I should have.

Sarlacc83 likes this.

33. Peep out FRESH Sculpin. Blows awayyyy big eye and is just as good as Pliny, just way different and opposite ends of the hop spectrum. Big tropical smells and tastes and quite a bit drier than Pliny.

34. Bear Republic Tartare. Just a fantastic Berliner Weisse.

35. FW Wookey Jack... especially on tap! Not a huge fan of Cascadian/Black IPA's. This is really fantastic!
    Cortland Brewing Flight Level 410 BBA Barleywine... KILLER!!!
    Adirondack Imperial Cream Ale... Wish they'd bottle this!
    De Struise Black Albert... Why did I have to have this? It's forever gonna make enjoying any other Belgian RIS a problem! DAMN NEAR PERFECT!!!

Schwantz likes this.
  36. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Those of us who are married don't need our testes anymore.:p So what can I get in the way of whales for swimmers?

But seriously, Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break is golden!

WassailWilly likes this.
  37. airmike

airmike Aficionado (185) Iowa Apr 12, 2011

Totally adhere to this statement! Phenomenal stuff

38. afrokaze

Second that. I thought it could have had a touch more wheat if they were going for a traditional BW, but either way it's a great beer. I must have drank a quarter of the keg at my local by myself.

39. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Thanks for sharing bro. Just thanks. So hurt right now. Couldnt even send a handbottle. You act like I made you drink the worlds worst barleywine on a dare of something and now hold that against me. Oh wait..........That was a real thing. :oops:

Cheers!

40. afrokaze

Haha don't tear yourself up over it, it was perversely enjoyable for the first hour or so until the headache came on :D But yeah, I tried pretty hard to get a growler fill but no dice. I have a feeling they'll be making it again, I'll see what I can do! Cheers dude

FosterJM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.