1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your "Non-Whale" surprise beer this year?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by henryspam, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatch

Gatch Savant (465) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

Where is this found in New England? Is it released every winter? Hard to find?

2. Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge

3. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Thanks brotha!!! Sorry for the headache!! Let me know if you ever come down to So.Cal so I can repay you for the headache and bad beer!!

Cheers!

4. airfoil

airfoil Aficionado (155) California Jun 14, 2007

New Glarus R&D Sour Ale
    Crooked Stave Persica
    Hill Farmstead/Tired Hands Delicado
    Pizza Port Dusk til Dawn

5. tronester

tronester Advocate (645) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

6. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

I feel like the Delicado and Persica, at least, are both whales—just maybe less hyped. SLIGHTLY less hyped, in the case of Delicado (helps that there weren't any official bottles to make the rounds).

7. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I got one as an extra in a trade a few months ago. It was phenomenal. Dark Horse hasn't disappointed yet.

libbey likes this.
  8. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

For me the shear unexpectedness of Enjoy By and the Ruination 10th Anniversary. Also had my first Zombie Dusts acquired in a trade and realized that 12 was not enough. So many great tastes this year. Compiling all of them for my year end list.

Cheers.....

9. FlyingKelly

FlyingKelly Savant (260) Texas Nov 28, 2012

I have three: Allagash Four (draft), Boulevard Harvest Dance, and Stewart's Stumblin' Monk.

10. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (340) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

I am not sure but I think it is single batch release, it was around RI for awhile, I think they do a different batch every year but probably didnt make many

11. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (340) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

pretty things our finest regards, probably my favorite non BA barleywine

luwak, DrewCapzz, koflaherty and 5 others like this.
  12. Thanks for the heads up, have 2 bottles I picked up a few months ago.
    Perhaps I will crack one soon.

13. For me Lawson's Chinooker'd without a doubt! First thought after trying it was that I think I'd bathe in it and that thought hasn't changed since.

Gash likes this.
  14. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Some great surprises (from stuff released for the first time this year):

-Enjoy By
    -R&D Sour Ale
    -Sour Black

15. wesdorris

wesdorris Disciple (70) California Jul 25, 2011

Without a doubt, this was my "drive-by" beer of the year, I still can't stop chomping at the bit on this one!

16. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Yeti. Rocked my world first taste.
    That and Zombie Dust. The hype is warranted.

17. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA!!!

18. wesdorris

I had the fortune to help out with Toronado's Cascade event here in San Diego during our Beer Week (reads month), awesome time! I enjoyed all of the event beers so much but after the event I tried Sang Royal at the bar...blown away! Really like the way things are now with Cascade, hope I can make it up there later on in the year! All in all, excellent choice! Cheers!

Jules11788 likes this.
  19. Atlas1977

Atlas1977 Aficionado (125) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I just had a Batch 0 that I picked up while in Amsterdam last year, so freaking good!

My contribution to this thread is Escoffier by Vivant. I keep tooting its horn. Wild Ale with Brett in a can, it is awesome. One of the best food beers I have ever had.

20. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Fantome Extra Sour

21. wesdorris

I gave Mitch a hug for making that beer at GABF this year! I remember seeing him as an AB guy in Beer Wars, makes you think...so many people are really quick to judge.

22. wesdorris

Mind and bottle blowing! The batch I had (clear label, not blue) exploded with every bottle I cracked open, so much damn fun! Best matched up with Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" (my opinion).

luwak and GennyCreamAle like this.
  23. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

NG Serendipity, NEBCO Galaxy and several Toppling Goliath brews (Mornin' Delight, Millennium Falcon, ZeeLander and PsuedoSue)

24. wesdorris

SNPA was my gateway, enjoy the times and cherish the amazement.

25. Terrapin Oak Aged Big Hoppy Monster and believe it or not, Leinenkugel's Big Eddy's RIS - tastes like a cherry brownie. Shocked by this one, but I am cruising this 4 pack.

26. wesdorris

In addition to all of the ones already mentioned and replied to, today I had the fortune of going down the road to the Stone Comapny Store in South Park and tasting/growlering (is that a word?) Suitable for Cave Aging: An Imperial Smoked Porter Tribute to Danny Williams aged in Bourbon Barrels. Really damn good BBA brew! Not really whale in the monetary sense but definitely elusive and sporadic, ready to be burned at the stake.

27. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

[​IMG]

SouthAtholSuds and Horbar like this.
  28. All Day IPA
    Vivant Farm Hand

29. Revolution Anti-Hero
    and Gumballhead for like the fourth year running

30. mtalley999

mtalley999 Savant (405) Maryland Oct 6, 2011

Schlafly A IPA
    Elysian Great Pumpkin and Dark o'the Moon
    Flying Dog Dogtoberfest
    Weyerbacher Insanity
    BCBS
    SN Narwhal and Ruthless Rye

31. You can never beat an old standby, Old Rasputin is one really awesome Imperial Stout for the cost which is generally no more than $10 a four pack.

Next in line?

Probably Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. I know it is a 750... I know it is $11 to $12... but my god. The quality and the taste and just freakin' everything about that beer is amazing and totally worth the price. I've payed upward of $20 for same size bottles and even more for smaller amounts but have not been quite that satisfied. It's worth every penny.

To end, Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA. Under $7 for a 750ml... 9% abv... and one really really good Double IPA. Can't be beat. Totally obliterates my hop cravings every time.

32. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Savant (335) New York Jul 24, 2010

Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #4
    Captain Lawrence Hops n Roses

DrewCapzz likes this.
  33. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

The whole "whale" thing confuses me. Lol. I've even seen threads that try to explain the difference between whales and non whales and I'm more confused after reading them. I just think I've seen a lot whales listed here. Don't mind me, lol.

Gash likes this.
  34. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Stone Arrogant Bastard, Sublimely Self Righteous, and Sam Adams Noble Pils, due to the fact that the first time I had those beers I hated them. Now after revisiting those brews a year or two later, I love them. (Hooray for evolving palates).

35. Pumking
    Hop In The Dark
    Serpents Stout

36. Simtra. Just a monster of an IPA. Not the cheapest, but I'll be picking up lots of these in the near future.

Row 2, Hill 56. Not expensive, not hyped. But harder to get ahold of than Pliny

afrokaze likes this.
  37. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

NARWHAL!!!

Omg this ber is fucking delicious!!!

ellswrth likes this.
  38. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

Anchorage Love Buzz was a huge surprise barrel saison

WassailWilly, afrokaze and libbey like this.
  39. DFH120

DFH120 Aspirant (40) Ohio Apr 12, 2012

Maybe the one that stood out the most this year because its $8 a six is Lagunitas Maximus. Also Sierra Nevada's Narwhal is a great one at $8 too. Seems like every brewer big or small wants to be in that $10-12 segment.

40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

So far this year my stunner was how much I enjoyed the light but tasty Agave Wheat from Breckenridge, who I find to have a fairly underwhelming quality to most of the stuff I've had, this one I would definitely seek out as a nice sessioner. The other stunner has to be picking Coors Light out of a blind taste test w/some light beer macro loving friends. It certainly had what you'd call the essence of taste, the "want to" if you will compared to Butt Light & Filler Lite...perhaps running the old Banquet beer up the flag pole is on the '13 horizon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.