1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your "Non-Whale" surprise beer this year?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by henryspam, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Logsdon Seizoen Bretta. Amazing beer. $15-20 for a 750. Only problem is latest batch explodes out of the bottle.
    HoshuaJobbs likes this.
  2. Berkshire - Coffee Porter - perhaps one of the greatest coffee-centric beers ever created. Try it for yourself.

Maine - Zoe - almost prefer it to Lunch.

Founders - Breakfast Stout. I could drink this all day long.
  3. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Central Waters - BBS, got one as an extra then immediately traded for three 4pks. Will be seeking at least a case here soon, I think its released around this time of year, no?
  4. nicnut45

nicnut45 Savant (290) Illinois Jan 6, 2007

Uinta labyrinth
  5. New Holland Black Hatter and Beerhive, 21A Hell or High Watermelon, SKA Euphoria, Steven's Point Cascade Pale Ale
  6. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (250) New York Aug 15, 2012

Jacks Abby Kiwi Rising is great stuff, Also Hoponius Union. thankfully I have family out by Boston, they bring me back this stuff when visiting (NY). Hoping for all the best with this brewery, they make some great great beers.
  7. Avery Uncle Jacob Stout is up there for me this year. I was able to get a couple of bottles. I'll also piggy back on the ones that said Kiwi Rising from Jack's Abby, actually, I think this was the first year I had Hopponeous Union as well which has become quite possibly my favorite beer.
    Retail1LO and libbey like this.
  8. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (335) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I hadn't seen any hype when I first tried it, but I too am very impressed with Zombie Dust.

And while it came pretty highly recommended, I'm loving Narwhal, too.
  9. Weyerbacher Double Simcoe

Two Brothers Heavy Handed IPA (Label says wet hops)
  10. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

i just had Resin the other night at a taproom and it surprised the shit outta me. my buddy was drinking it and offered me a taste and i loved it
  11. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

The beers coming out of Perrin Brewing Company. I really enjoyed their Two Faced Raspberry beer, strong raspberry flavor and not cloying.

and

Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000
    GR_Rick likes this.
  12. Yes but this is no surprise
  13. I would say Stone has impressed me the most in 2012.
    -Ruin10
    -EnjoyBy
    -Mint Chocolate Stout

Runner up probably goes to Knee Deep Simtra
    jrnyc likes this.
  14. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

I'm sipping a Simtra as I type. This beer is locked in a delicious battle with my palette. A great beer, one that I am thoroughly enjoying, but my tongue will be dead after this.
    HoshuaJobbs likes this.
  15. BearsSox

BearsSox Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 22, 2008

Better than Old Rasputin, you say? Hmm... not sure that's a fair claim, but to each their own. When Narwhal wins a dozen-plus gold medals and becomes the standard for BJCP judging of the RIS style, I'll concede.
    lokieman likes this.
  16. Chunksofgunks

Chunksofgunks Aspirant (25) Nov 22, 2012

My friends first IPA. It was great. He is a home brewer but I think he'll be famous one day.
  17. Phillips Green Reaper
    Lighthouse Switchback IPA
    Wernesgruner in tall cans
    [​IMG]
    On draft it is amazing
  18. dalepryor

dalepryor Initiate (0) Kentucky Aug 30, 2007

Samuel Adams - Merry Mischief

Fairly easy to come by and freaking delicious!
  19. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Lagunitas Maximus - best IPA/DIPA I've had yet
    NB Red Hoptober - much more enjoyable than Bell's togt 11 I thought
    Backwoods Bastard - bourbon was a lot to handle, but it was a good intro to BBA beers for me
  20. 1fine69

1fine69 Zealot (75) Virginia Oct 1, 2010

I thought Backwoods Bastard was amazing this year, and very cheap for the quality, though I was only allowed to buy one 4 pack. The Stone Mint Chocolate was also good, but they only let me have a single bottle of that. I also tried Narwhal for the first time the other night, besides the fact that it was extremely cheap, I thought it was an awesome beer, and much better than a few of my friends have suggested.
  21. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Surprising? Easily Leinenkugals Big Eddy IIPA. I basically expected nothing, given it was a Leinie's, and it turned out to be excellent.
  22. HF Everett as mentioned and Susan reminded me of Alpine Duet though the hop flavor was different.
  23. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I'll 6th, 7th, 8th....whatever we're up to for Rayon Vert. Not usually one of my favorite styles but I can't stop buying it and drinking it. Beautiful beer... Also Chainbreaker from Deschutes surprised the hell out of me. So refreshing and tart in the best way...can't wait to enjoy several at the lake next spring and summer.
    Duff27 likes this.
  24. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

hollow promises greenbush
  25. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (555) Washington Apr 30, 2008

World Wide Stout and the Chocolate Oak Aged edition of Yeti
    verr tasty
  26. Alpha Klaus. Absolutely amazing
  27. Just quickly going off memory here, trying to remember which beers I really shared a moment with...

KBS
    Old Rasputin on Nitro
    Any of the Yeti's
    Kane's Head High

Mainly because I wasn't really expecting much from it, but THIS v is really good. Probably the only one I regularly bought (since it went year round)
    Also, I gotta give a shout out to a little brewpub in the area, Trap Rock's (Berkeley Heights, NJ) IPA really wowed me.
  28. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Had a lot of good beers this year. For me NG Enigma, NG Serendipity, and Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout were all winners. Also had Cantillon Gueuze and Bramble Rye for the first time this year but those are whale-ish.
  29. I heart tank seven
    ComRock12 likes this.
  30. mocktm

mocktm Savant (355) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

Midnight Sun Berserker....Awesome!
    Azzy, Angst and BrewBoone like this.
  31. Schlafly American IPA. got a 6 pack on a whim and went back the next day for a case. continued buying it whenever it was on the shelves . . . which was entirely too short a time period.
  32. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

Mine was Stone 10th Anniv. Ruination. I was completely blown away by the fruity flavor, how easy it was to drink and the super low price tag. However, it was my first Anniv. Ruination and I only bought one (like an idiot). By the time I went back to the store, they were all gone. :(
    digdug1810 likes this.
  33. Jack Abby Brett Biere De Garde
    Bruery Tart of Darkness
    ptownjosh and Cugabuh like this.
  34. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Columbia River's Baltic Porter. My favorite in that style so far.
  35. Fluteswell

Fluteswell Savant (255) Maryland Feb 15, 2011

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA.
  36. dipaguy

dipaguy Aficionado (200) Florida Feb 20, 2011

Wake n bake by terrapin! So good.
  37. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Parabola I think.
  38. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Schlafly TIPA for sure. Nice pick. Not a whale and def not crazy expensive. Cheers!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.