1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your "Non-Whale" surprise beer this year?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by henryspam, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Flash Rayon Vert
    He' Brew Sweet Sixteen
    Southern Tier 2XMas
    Founders Bolt Cutter
    Flyingdog Wildeman IPA
    Reinaert Flemish Ale
    Bruery Saison Rue
  2. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

This brew is awesome! But, I think its a whale. Maybe Im too far away from Oregon.
  3. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Up until recently it was available for purchase online straight from the brewery.
  4. Hopzilla, Imperial Biscotti, and surprisingly Zhukov
  5. Airyk12

Airyk12 Aficionado (155) Oregon Jan 1, 2011

The beer stores around here still have XIVs by the dozens, and plenty of XVs. Also just picked up a 2007 Dissident and a Cascade Sang Royal. Holy hell... Most surprising non-whale? An IPA by a tiny place, Mt Tabor. Delicious.
  6. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Also, Tyranena's Dirty Old Man. Best rye stout ive ever had!
    chanokokoro likes this.
  7. Southern Tier Back Burner. Amazing at 8 bucks a bottle.
  8. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Odell Deconstruction. It sounded interesting but it ended up being so complex and beautiful it blew my mind. I went back the next day and bought another for $15..
  9. Wormtown's "Norm" for sure. One of the most complex and well balanced brews I've ever had. Absolutely phenomenal. And the toasted coconut flavor was out of this world. Also, Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. Blew my mind. And I usually strongly dislike Quads. Well played, Boulevard.
    SouthAtholSuds and VelvetExtract like this.
  10. Jack's Abby - Kiwi Rising

Epic for the price...Drank about 4 growlers of this stuff while it was around. Could crush it all day
    hoppy99 and DrewCapzz like this.
  11. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (625) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Tyranena Rocky's Revenge
  12. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Seriously came here to say exactly this. Sofa king good
    Ford and HevvyMetalHippie like this.
  13. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I'll try not to be too repetitious here and avoid some brews that have already been mentioned. Ommegang Scythe and Sickle was so subtley complex, it never got the attention it deserves. I found it to be an amazing beer. FFF Stack n Stabb, Rye'd Da Lightning, Hells Black Intelligencer, and Live a Rich Life (formerly Shark Pants-with the recipe slightly tweaked) were also great. CCB Cucumber Saison was the perfect summer brew. FW Wookey Jack and NG Black Top are two the better black IPA's I've had. Just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll have a follow-up post.
    ThisWangsChung and huysmans like this.
  14. huysmans

huysmans Savant (320) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Rye'd, Hells, and Live a Rich Life were all amazing! Great Divide Espresso Yeti and Hibernation are two that come to mind. Had my first La Folie as well, and I want another, and another!
  15. I think my surprise beer of the year would go to JW Lees Lagavulin cask 2004.
  16. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

Lagunitas Brown Shugga. I didn't have it last year...but tried it this year and was way shocked how good it was.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. Every new good beer I've had this year. I think its probably been years since anything I've had would have been considered a whale. Although I did cellar some amazing craft Oregon cider for 4 years and finally drink it and it was AMAZING ( granted I know this would not be considered beer).
  18. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

Celebration.
  19. Ditto on the schlafly American Ipa. I'm miffed that the Tasmanian never made it to New Jersey.
    Great beer.
  20. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Just had this on tap today... it was my first beer.. only was going to have two today, so I was going to try something else on the second pint.. but this was so, so good I ended up having two pints of it... man.. what a great beer.. hope this becomes a staple for Sam Adams at Christmas time.
  21. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Victory Red Thunder (this beer exceeded my expectations) I gave in a 4.5 out of 5 on our youtube review. I thought it was fantastic.

Cigar City Moat Water was also a tasty brew. Cheers
  22. I just got one of those as well. Good for you man!
  23. Agreed. Bought The Sauer Peach on a whim because I had never heard of Sloop and like trying some local brews. This was delicious stuff. The peach character shinde quite nicely with the Berliner style.
  24. Driftwood - Satori Harvest
    Unibroue - Grande Reserve 17
    Elysian - Bifrost Winter Ale
  25. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

My surprise non-whale beer this year goes to Breckinridge's Agave Wheat, better then expected as I find the brewers stuff to be rather underwhelming. Great sessionable wheat beer & my only repeat buy from Breckenridge.
  26. This.
  27. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Barney Flats gets lil love 'round here but it is solid as is Anderson Valley's stuff a great oatmeal stout for the money. And props for mentioning Mackeson's haven't had this great sessionable stout in awhile & I'm going to have to hunt it down.
  28. Dieu du Ciel Solstice d'Ete
    Dunham Leo's Early Breakfast IPA
    Great Lakes 25th Anniversary Robust Porter
    Muskoka Legendary Spring Oddity
    Dunham Imperial Black IPA
    Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour Pale Ale
  29. '09?? '09 is the flattest beer ever. It has negative carbonation. It sucks co2 into a void. I've had several of these and get pissed every time. '10 is good though. Just my opinion.
  30. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil 'Engineers Reserve' wood cask...this beer blew my mind.
    JW Lees 'Harvest Ale Calvados' on draft
    Every vintage of Victory 'Old Horizontal'

....and the New Style Saisons:

TOol 'Snowball'
    Evil Twin 'Ron and the Beast Ryan'
    Jaindrain 'VI'
    Stillwater 'Stateside'
    Stillwater 'Cellar Door'
    Mckenzie's 'Vatour'
  31. Well said! It has become a favorite beer of mine; not only as an IPA, but as an over all go to beer. (Whenever I can get my hands on it.) I can't wait to try others in the Schlafly line. It's great to taste pride in St. Louis brewing. (And your avatar is making me even more homesick.)
  32. Coffee and Cherry Rye are waaayyyy better, get some and satisfied!
  33. ScottO

ScottO Savant (280) California Mar 4, 2012

HOTD Adam knocked my socks off. Can't imagine how good AFTW and CAFTW must be. Hope to find out some day.
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  34. Liquid Breadfruit. I know it's not very hightly rated here, but for whatever reason I loved this beer.
  35. I second this motion.
    trevorjk likes this.
  36. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Ivan the Terrible provided me with a full-on sexual experience the other night. So, there's that...
  37. Bonis

Bonis Savant (400) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Epic Big Bad Baptist... I still can't believe I constantly see this beer.
    trevorjk likes this.
  38. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Sucks and Myrcenary, both epic beers.
  39. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I was a big fan of Jackie Os bourbon brick kiln. Yummy!
  40. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

Alpine Nelson...blew me away.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.