1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your opinion of Brooklyn Black Ops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jayhoop, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jayhoop

Jayhoop Zealot (85) Quebec (Canada) Sep 12, 2012

Just bought a bottle and was wondering what people thought of it?
  2. Send it to me and I'll let you know. ;)
    djaeon and barleywinefiend like this.
  3. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Its Ok, but nothing special for me. I won't buy another bottle at the 20+ price tag.
    pschul4 and mackeyse like this.
  4. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

good, but won't get you wales.
  5. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Good, but better with 1+ years of age on it IMO. I passed this year due to price, and spending too much on other beer.
  6. not a fan of it fresh. I dont buy anymore unless for trade
  7. I had it once, and liked it, but cant remember to what degree I liked it. But I cant pull the trigger on nearly $30 a bottle
  8. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I thought it was OK. Not sure if it was just me, but it seemed to have waaaaaay more carbonation than any other BA stout I've ever had. I also found it a little thin for my taste and didn't have as much bourbon character as I like my BA stouts to have.

I do think it's a unique BA Stout and worth trying once. I do remember it got much better as I drank it (it wasn't too cold when I started, so it's not like it needed to warm up). Not sure the reason for that, but that is one thing I do distinctly remember. If I ever have another, I'm going to crack it and let it sit for an hour or so before consuming.
  9. Pricy, too pricy. I've almost traded for this a couple of times and each time I can't stomach the cost. Want to try it - yes, want to pay the high price tag for it - no.
  10. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Due to the champagne yeast they use. I'm not a fan of it either
  11. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

That's what I figured.
  12. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I would point you in the direction of its reviews but, since the site change, you'll get way more numbers than actual opinions.
  13. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

it's okay with a year+ of age on it, however it's too expensive, overcarbonated and slightly one-note in the amount of harsher bourbon alcohol that comes through.

look at it this way - would you rather have one Black Ops or a 4pk of BCBS (and a few $ to spare)?
    BMoldy and Kaydogg like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Ticked it once, not worth the price to revisit.
  15. tasty, overpriced, not a regular buy.
  16. mackeyse

mackeyse Aficionado (105) New York Aug 21, 2012

Same here--saw it for 22.99 and pulled the trigger just to try it--wont do it again
  17. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I was in Cleveland over the holidays and saw this on the shelf for $8.99. I bought two bottles and will age the hell out of them, as the previous bottle I had still was very boozy after 1+ year of age on it.
  18. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I bought three bottles, drank one fresh and put the other two down. I liked it but found the profile lacked any significant bourbon barrel influence. Not saying it's a bad thing but certainly a different style of BA beer. I don't regret buying them and look forward to tasting with some age on them.
  19. Thought it was good but pricey and I like Black Chocolate Stout Better.
    smonice likes this.
  20. Or you could uncheck the "Show Hads:" checkbox on the reviews page and undo the reason for your complaint.
    Zach136 and digdug1810 like this.
  21. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

It's $19.99 at Whole Foods in NY, not too bad a price. I really like it, especially with some age on it. Cracked open a 2009 bottle for my wedding earlier this year (have one more 2009 in the cellar). REALLY good on cask if you're lucky enough to stumble upon one at the Brewery on a special night.
  22. Skrip

Skrip Savant (360) South Carolina Oct 7, 2012

$16 in SC i actually dig it. especially for that price
  23. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

A little thin for me.
    Better a year old IMO as well.
  24. $36 up here in Canada, not even worth trying at that price.
  25. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Like it, not love it. I think I enjoy it a bit more than some because of the carbonation and the muted bourbon influence. Got it for $20, I little on the high side for me.
  26. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I prefer a slightly more carbonated stout, so that part was good. Not very bourbony. My gripe is that it has a certain astringency (harsh alcohol bite). Not as smooth as bcbs... nor bourbony.
  27. $42 in my local store, i'd ask if its worth it but I think I already know the answer?
  28. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Should be closer to $20. Don't get me wrong. It's a good beer. IMO worth the $20... just 1 notch below world class. Not $42 though.
  29. Or 3-4 four packs of BCS.
  30. Especially when they have a range of Cantillon for around $30...
  31. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Pretty solid but just barely worth the $20... will re-visit it after a year on it. A bit over hyped IMHO
  32. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Bad representation of the BA stout style.
  33. Tasty? yes
    Worth ticking? probably
    worth buying frequently? no
    worth trading for? depends
    better with age? not sure; I put one aside for this very reason
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  34. I also put one aside. I cant wait to age for a couple years and trade for a whale!
  35. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Just saw some last night for $26. Bought one and planned to get more today...then I tried it. It was a good beer, and I enjoyed it. But the bourbon was almost non existent to me. After reading some reviews I was worried it'd be really carbonated but it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Had it slightly chilled and poured slowly into a glass and it all worked out well. Might age one if I can justify going back for it at that price. I say try it and if you like it get another.
  36. thats less than cost. you should have bought the case.
  37. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

They only had 2 bottles.
  38. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

Good beer, but WAY overpriced. It's $25.99 in my local store where I can buy a 4pack of BCBS for $24.99. I bought one bottle this year, but I keep buying the BCBS.
  39. It's much drier and lighter on the palate than comparable barrel-aged stouts and the whiskey shines through more predominantly. That doesn't bother me, though, as it's aged in Woodford Reserve barrels, which I much prefer to most of the barrels other companies use. I also think aging is a must for this beer. It really comes into it's own after a nice two year slumber and opens up in ways that are really masked when fresh.

That being said, I haven't bought Black Ops in a few years because the prices are just completely out of whack. I've seen stores in Brooklyn trying to sell a single bottle for more than a four-pack of Goose Island BCS. As they say on the streets, "that shit be cray."
  40. I prefer Black Op's over any BBA Stout, (i have had KBS and BCBS and other less well known ones). It is costly but imo worth it.