1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's your opinion of Brooklyn Black Ops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jayhoop, Jan 9, 2013.

1. It's $25 in NY and IMHO, not at all worth it. I'd rather buy 3 four packs of BCS. It does age nicely tho. If you can hang onto it for 3 years, then you'll have something nice!
  2. I tried it once 2 or 3 years ago and thought it was decent but I wasn't a huge fan of the champagne yeast element. I through one in the cellar to see what a few years would do to it. Anyone have any thoughts on 2 to 3 year aged Black Ops?
  3. I'm not much of a fan of it fresh (at least in bottles, it is nice fresh on cask though). After it's been sitting a year though it starts turning into something really nice. My cousin opened a bottle of the 09 batch on Christmas Eve that I thought was doing very well, and I plan on doing an 08-12 vertical some time in the next few months.
  4. jupe13

jupe13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Jan 18, 2006

it's like watered down BCBS. Way too thin for me.
  5. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (350) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I bought a couple of bottles just before Christmas...never got to it on NYE like I planned...and didn't particularly feel like cracking it at random...so in the cellar they sit.
  6. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

You bought a bottle..... I'm wonder what YOU think of it?
    paulys55 likes this.
  7. I still have a 2011 and a 2009. Drank both of my 2010s and my other 2011. Think it's a pretty tasty beer, but like others said, def a different BA taste.
  8. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

This thread seems to be dominated by the non-fans of Black Ops, so far. For each thread full of people who hate it, there's a thread full of people who love it. Like any high-profile beer, it tends to be polarizing. I don't understand why. Perhaps because it's different from the standard model of bourbon barrel imperial stouts, perhaps because it's fairly available, not an incredible whale.

Personally, I like it. I like it even more with a couple years on it. We shared an '09 among some serious beer geeks on New Years, and I heard no complaints. I know a number of brewers who love the stuff. It's certainly a good beer, and you may like it. Or not.

As to price...it's normally priced around $20. If you're seeing it at $30 or $40 or more, your store is trying to rip you off. Blame them, not the beer.
    Crookdrain likes this.
  9. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

10. Cost not justified...by me in my area.
    There's no shop anywhere near me selling Black Ops for $20.
    Almost everything of note is substantially more expensive here in SE PA compared to other areas of the country.
    At least we don't have silly %abv limits like some other states though.

Had a choice between Black Ops & FW 16th today (basically no limit of each)...and did not hesitate to went with 2 FW 16th without hesitation. Cheaper & without a doubt will be enjoyed more by me.

Also, Fruet was $$$ & totally worth the cost of admission.
    Like anyone cares about my opinion.
  11. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

I liked it a lot, thought the barrel character was awesome. Only downfall was the cost.. I've had much better barrel aged beers for much less.
  12. I think it's extremely subpar for the style, and very overpriced. Thin, boozy... it's all been said. At $20 I would consider it too much - it should be about a $12 beer. For the $25+ it often goes for, it shocks me that it doesn't sit for very long.
  13. Jaru1026

Jaru1026 Savant (295) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2011

I really disliked this beer, because of the champagne yeast. It gave me a terrible stomach ache. I have one more bottle that I plan to sit on for a long while. I am hoping that matures into some thing that I would enjoy drinking!
  14. I liked it the one time I had it.