What's Your Opinion On Sixpoint Hi-Res 2015 vs 2014?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Feb 16, 2015.

?

Which Hi Res did you prefer?

1. 2015

66 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. 2014

23 vote(s)
    25.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

I think this years version is legitimately world class...I kind of liked the novelty in a boozy IPA that 2014 provided but this year is a balanced masterpiece

Also, do you think maybe this site should have sub ratings for a beer? For example, hi res garners a 93 overall rating...I feel that the ratings for this years version are higher, though and the 93 (no slouch obviously) doesn't represent what 2015 is...I think that when there is obvious changes to a brewing recipe, there should be numbers under the overall rating that shows ratings specific to each year versus the occasionally beer listed in different names ex: prop 2013 and 2014

2. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

I haven't had a six point beer yet, I can't get them here. But I love the idea of ratings for seasonal beers for each year. Untappd has this system in place already for rating a beer on its specific year of release. It's a good thing.

SCW and CleanFiend like this.
  3. PVMT

PVMT Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 New York

This year's Hi-Res is absolutely world class. It's flavor is unique and wonderful. A masterpiece.

That said, SixPoint, by their own admission, did tweak the flavor this year. So, depending on how big a tweak it was or how much of a purist you are, your idea of breaking out 2014 from 2015 has merit.

No idea as to the logistics to implement this (or how to reconcile the existing ratings and reviews) but I like the suggestion.

CleanFiend and SCW like this.
  4. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

It was damn good last year and it is damn good this year too.

5. JFear

JFear Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 Virginia

I honestly have a hard time picking...I want to give a slight edge to last year's for aroma alone, but man, overall it's pretty much just as good this year. The slightly toned-down sweetness in this year's makes it easier to detect more specific hop flavors, but last year's had this nectar-like quality to it that was unbeatable, and I honestly taste the booze more this time around.

SCW, BradenMK and jman005 like this.
  6. Spify

Spify Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2014 Indiana

I did not have the 2014 version, with that being said I love the 2015 version, wich is suprising because I am not huge fan of IPAs.

7. scotay

scotay Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2014 Pennsylvania

I voted 2015.

I detect more of a faint fruity banana ester thing and a notch less of the boozy notes that I remember from last year.

But in both vintages I am left with the finish of pure unvarnished ethanol. It finishes like a shot of vodka.

I don't know what it is. I'm all over resin and Bengali and I savored sensi harvest, but hi-res is a sixpoint dud for me.

8. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Universal law of beerdom - it was always better last year...:stuck_out_tongue:

Bshaw22, FalconOne, colty42 and 4 others like this.
  9. SFNC

SFNC Savant (1,085) Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

They are exactly the same down to the finest of molecular structures. Science, bitches!

SCW, TurkeyFeathers and aderousseau like this.
  10. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Pooh-Bah (2,017) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

While not that different, I'd have to say this years is better. The hop aroma, flavor and subsequent bitterness this year was more intense and helped to balance and reduce the booziness I found last year. The slight drop in ABV was also nice too, allowing the hops to really shine.

World class beer.

SCW likes this.
  11. schramlo

schramlo Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 Michigan

I just picked up a 4 pack tonight, can't wait to try it.

12. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Sixpoint announced that they tweaked the recipe this year. Last year's was good, this year's batch is top tier.

Masters, CleanFiend and SCW like this.
  13. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

I stand corrected (was just being glib). Never had before this year, but thought it was really solid. Reminds me, the last can is in the fridge... back in a mo

SCW likes this.
  14. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Send me a beer mail with your address and that is very likely to change.

15. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

While I didn't have the chance to try the '14, I would agree that the '15 is world class. So deceptively smooth it's frightening! Hands down the best Sixpoint beer I have had yet. Keep up the good work!

SCW likes this.
  16. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

Thought I was the only one. It was world class this year.

17. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

18. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

It's drinks very similarly despite the change in abv

19. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

Wrong thread sir! Nice pic tho

MisSigsFan, SCW, Mongrel and 2 others like this.
  20. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Never had 2014 but I'm lovin' the 2015 I just traded for...:slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.