1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wheat DME

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MP72, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MP72

MP72 Aficionado (240) Pennsylvania Sep 25, 2006

A friend of mine gave me 2 1lb packages of wheat DME because he accidentlly bought them a while ago thinking they were light DME. My question is without brewing a wheat beer how can I use these and will it effect the taste in a dramatic way in other beers. If I can only do a wheat beer with them that's fine I am just trying to not have these go to waste.

2. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Use it to make starters.
    Use 5-10% in some non-wheat beer to improve head retention.

MP72 likes this.
  3. MP72

MP72 Aficionado (240) Pennsylvania Sep 25, 2006

Thanks was unaware of the head retention.

4. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

just be aware that clarity may suffer a bit.

MP72 likes this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Maybe? I've used wheat at this level without haze issues.
    If it is a concern to the OP, wheat for head retention is still a good strategy for stouts and porters.

MP72 likes this.
  6. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I have successfully used wheat for head retention in several beers, including a stout. I guess it worked, because every beer I've made that contained wheat came out good, with good head retention. :rolleyes: Cloudiness wasn't a big concern for me, rarely is. I like clear beer, but I like cloudy beer too, and I mainly want my beers to be tasty regardless of whether they are crystal clear or not.

I made an extract batch with just wheat LME (no steeping grains) and it came out great, FWIW (obviously was cloudy though).

Never tried the wheat DME, but the starters idea is a good one if you don't want to brew with it.

MP72 likes this.
  7. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

One thing that nobody has mentioned.... wheat DME is not 100% wheat. Depending on the brand, it's 35-45% barley malt extract.

MP72 likes this.
  8. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Unless I'm feeling lazy and want to do an extract batch, the only DME I buy is wheat dme (for starters). I dunno, just the fact that its the only DME that is purely base malts puts my mind at ease.

I also use it to prime weizens (I feel that using the amount of sugar necessary to reach desired carbonation takes away from body, but then again, I'm weird), but that keys into brewing a wheat.

If you're just switching out a pound of light dme with wheat dme, I don't think there would be that much of a difference. A bit more mouthfeel and head retention, but nothing to write home about.

9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I use wheat DME for starters. I have always heard that it provides better yeast nutrients do to higher protein content.

10. Feel free to substitute it 1:1 for Barley Malt extract in pretty much anything you're brewing. 2# (probably <15% of your 'grain' bill will be wheat) will not dramatically change the flavor of any recipe, and the increased head retention would be a plus if, indeed, you experience it. FWIW, clarity will not be dramatically impacted by this, either. It may take a bit more time (not saying it will), but it will clear up just like any other 100% barley based beer. And who knows? You may prefer it to what you've been doing. (that's why I use Pilsner malt in virtually everything I brew now)

MP72 and EdH like this.