1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wheat Free Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by koctail, Aug 15, 2013.

1. koctail

koctail Initiate (10) California Aug 15, 2013

I have been doing this "Wheat Belly" diet for about 4 months. During that time I have tried gluten free Omission which isn't bad, but I was told it is high in carbs and basically just as bad as traditional beer. I am not gluten intolerant, but I am eliminating wheat from my diet. I was told by the guy that invented the diet that Michelob Ultra and Stella Artois contain no Wheat. I was also reading that Bud and Bud light may contain no wheat....are made with corn.

What other beers do any of you know of that contain no wheat? Do many of the American light lager style beers not contain wheat?
  2. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Most beers styles are not made using wheat. Barley is most often used. However, if you are trying to eliminate every trace of wheat that is another story, as it might be hard to tell whether a specific beer contains traces of wheat.

Most macro American lagers do not contain wheat. Hefeweizens and American Wheats both are made with large percentages of wheat malt.
    Mothergoose03 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  3. Wheat is different from other malts such as adjuncts like corn and rice, because when a beer is made from/with wheat, it [usually] entirely changes the style. You're pretty safe to assume that most AALs are wheat-free, although traces can't be ruled out I suppose.
  4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

the list of beers that don't use wheat is considerably longer than the list of beers that do.

are you trying to avoid gluten or wheat? the former is tough. the latter is very easy.
  5. Wheat is an unusual enough ingredient in beer that when it is used the beer is usually described as a "wheat beer" or "weiss beer / weizen." However, barley also contains gluten so I'm not sure why you would want to eliminate wheat but not barley?
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  6. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

I'm guessing he believes in this:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
  7. BethanyB

BethanyB Savant (320) New Jersey Jun 20, 2013

I've been seeing more and more gluten free beers on the market. I've been seeing bottles from Green's and Omission all over the place. Both specialize in gluten free beer. Of course, I'm in NYC during the work week, and that's where I buy. If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's near you, I should think you're bound to find a decent selection.
  8. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Most stouts/porters and barleywines are wheat-free.
  9. New Planet, Lakefront New Grist, and Greens. Also DFH Tweason'ale is gluten free
    DanH83 likes this.
  10. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Aficionado (225) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Don't even bother sacrificing taste if you're just doing it for dieting purposes. My fiancé has a gluten allergy, so we've tried many sorghum and other gluten free beers. Gluten free beers will still have close to the same amount of calories with a huge reduction in taste. Not to say some aren't good (we've come to like New Planet Raspberry 3R) but chances are if you are on beer advocate, gluten free beers just aren't going to cut it. I've taken several of the "miss" GF beers to bottle shares for kicks, and most people have to end up drain pouring their tiny serving.

If you absolutely want to go gluten free, I would highly recommend switching to ciders for a while.
  11. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (520) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Or mead!
  12. Czech or German lagers have no wheat.

Edit -bottom fermented biers for certain BA's.

Edit2 some Koelsch is made with a small portion of wheat, those are top fermented then lagered.
    BrettHead likes this.
  13. koctail

koctail Initiate (10) California Aug 15, 2013

Thanks for all the info. Been very helpful. I just wrote beer off my list of things I could have assuming that wheat was an ingredient in almost all beers. I definitely know the Hefe beers are wheat beers. Unfortunately they were one of my favorites.

How about Pale Ale's...like Drifter?...that was one of my favorites. Or IPA's? Do these typically contain wheat? Which styles of beer other than the American Macro Brews would most likely contain no wheat?
  14. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (395) Illinois May 17, 2013

Anyone named Wheat would open this thread and immediately be disappointed. No free beer for you, Wheat!

(sorry, it's bad joke Friday)
    seanyfo likes this.
  15. Blaming wheat for weight issues is ridiculous--this diet is not the worst nutritional idea to be sold to the public, but it's pretty high on the list. If you think you're having weight issues, quit the stupid diet and stop drinking beer. The no-beer diet will be far more effective than no-wheat diet.
    JrGtr likes this.
  16. HawkeyeNation

Do you want to just cut out wheat, or cut out gluten? You do realize they are different, right? Gluten is found in barley, rye, and wheat. Malt comes from either of the aforementioned but most commonly barley. I think you'll be really hard-pressed to find a wheat free beer that is also not labeled as gluten free.
  17. HawkeyeNation

Yes, just cutting wheat is ridiculous. BUT, cutting GLUTEN will help trim your weight, especially if one is actually allergic. You might even be just slightly intolerant and not know it. I am assuming you mean "just for dieting purposes" but yes, just avoiding beer, or cutting back significantly will definitely help you lose weight. Or, if you must drink beer (like the majority of us here), exercise!
  18. If I had to drink gluten free beer I would drink wine.
    Bobator, Providence and HawkeyeNation like this.
  19. Reap the whole thread--it's a wheat-free diet, has nothing to do with gluten intolerance (which would not be affected by the trivial amount of gluten in beer) or gluten allergies (which are, but then barley would present the same problem). It looks like some quack just came up with a new way of making money without a shred of scientific evidence. Just another fact-free craze like paleodiet.
  20. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Green makes some nice gluten free beers actually. My wife has an intolerance so we've tried most of them and Green's are the best. glutenator is decent and there's a brewery in Spain that makes a solid lager that is made with glutenous ingredients but they strip the gluten from them so it's rated gluten free. I also made a damn good one imo, I made a rhubarb honey ale that's fully gluten free as well as ciders and mead soon for the wife.

But as said before most beers don't contain wheat, some craft breweries actually list ingredients now (types of malt, yeast and water is usually it :p )
  21. Well said. Although I would say that one doesn't need to eliminate beer to lose weight. Exercise is the key.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  22. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I remember 5 years ago when almost no one was allergic to gluten. It's strange that modern thinking has led to the conclusion that we should eliminate foods that have been staples of our diet for thousands of years with no issues.
  23. Most "allergies" to gluten are actually intolerance, which is merely a digestive problem. Combine the ignorance of the difference with significant underreporting in the past and you have an "explosion". Crohn's disease and Celiac disease diagnosis is much more common now, so it may make it appear that there are more cases, when, in reality, it's just better identification.
  24. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

True, I have friends who have Celiac so they have a legit issue; I was more talking about people who have jumped on the bandwagon because they "just feel better" not eating gluten :rolleyes:
  25. There have been a number of straw-grasping reports that elimination of gluten from diet helps children with autism or spectrum disorders or Down Syndrome to develop better, closer to norm. There have been similar reports about dairy. I have no idea of their accuracy, but I doubt these have much to do gluten-free beer. If anything, they might be closer to anti-vaccers.
    afrokaze likes this.
  26. Not celiac disease just an allergy to wheat. Does anyone know of any good wheat free beers, not gluten free. Thanks in advance.
  27. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (585) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Most beers don't have wheat in them. Avoid wheat beers and Hefeweizens and beers that list wheat in the ingredients.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  28. HawkeyeNation

I did read the whole thread and OP never specified. Was just trying to make sure he knew the difference is all. I know everyone else mentioned wheat-free, but OP himself never did specify if it was just wheat he wanted to cut out or gluten in general.
  29. job478

job478 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014

I recently found out I have a wheat allergy. I also read wheat belly. Gluten free is one thing, but wheat has unique properties that create havoc in our bodies. It is not just about losing weight. Weight gain is just one of many horrible causes of a wheat diet, not necessarily gluten, which is found in other grains. I highly recommend reading this book to gain a better understanding. Anyhow... I find it interesting that many comments suggest there is no wheat in most beers. This is not true. I have begun the lengthy process of calling each company that I want to indulge in their beers and have asked. I explain... wheat free not gluten free. I explain my allergy. Some reps are confused, but I explain that I am just looking for the ingredient wheat. So far I have found these beers do have wheat: Sam Adams, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada, Corona. Coors and Coors Light do not. If you are not sure and you love that beer, then pick up the phone and ask. And by the way , I have been wheat free for 5 weeks and have never felt better. Obviously I am allergic... but others are having the same results by elimination. After one week I stopped craving it too... its addictive properties were out of my body. Yes, addictive! As addictive as narcotics... bet you didn't know that. Read Wheatbelly!
  30. GMD

GMD Initiate (10) Massachusetts Feb 1, 2014

I am allergic to wheat too and I also have made calls to all of my favorite breweries. Everyone that I've called told me that unless the beer is a wheat beer (i.e. Sam Whitewater IPA or ColdSnap, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, or DFH Blood Orange Hefeweizen) then it does NOT have any wheat in it. Did specific beers get mentioned or is it just part of their brewing process to use wheat?
  31. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Most of those you list are not beers. They are breweries that produce multiple beers. I find it hard to believe that every beer produced by Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada is brewed with wheat.
    riemster and BrettHead like this.
  32. I agree, on the Sierra Nevada beers. All that one has to do is look at the beers on the website, where it lists the ingredients.
  33. Sipchue

Sipchue Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

So sorry. I thought the OP said "Want Free Beer?". That's why I clicked on it. Anyway, there are some good answers above. Glad to hear you're not seeking hop-free beers, 'cause that might be a little tougher.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  34. I think you probably got the "processed in a facility that also processes wheat" answer. You said you have an allergy, so for liability reasons they don't want to promise that there aren't trace amounts of wheat in their beers. That doesn't mean there's wheat in Boston Lager or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I don't think wheat allergies are so severe that afflicted people have to avoid even the potential for trace amounts. Case in point, you have been allergic for a long time if not your whole life, but only wheat free for five weeks, and somehow still alive.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  35. yogaman28734

yogaman28734 Initiate (10) Apr 22, 2014

Many of you don't understand the difference between food allergy and food intolerance, or the difference between wheat intolerance and gluten intolerance.

Laboratory testing shows that I need to strictly avoid wheat, but barley, rye, oats, and other grains are A-OK for me.

There should be complete transparency of food and beverage ingredients, period. Brewers should be required to list all ingredients on the label. Those who already do this voluntarily get my patronage.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  36. Where a very high quality barley malt is used, some brewers find it helpful to add a small percentage of wheat to aid head retention.
  37. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

wouldn't it be easier and better for the diet to avoid all beer?
  38. beernuts

beernuts Aficionado (145) Virginia Jan 23, 2014

From a low-carb dieting perspective, wheat is not any worse than any other grain. The reason those diets tell you to avoid wheat specifically is because 99% of the grain people eat is wheat. You haven't found a loophole by drinking wheat-free beer.
    VictorWisc likes this.