1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wheatwine - Under Appreciated or Terrible?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CloudStrife, Jan 30, 2013.

?

Wheatwine or Barleywine?

1. Wheatwine

24.2%
  2. Barleywine

75.8%
  1. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Savant (405) New York Nov 20, 2008

Have tried a few wheatwines recently and been quite happy with the results. Looking back through the different wheatwines on this site I can recollect trying four. Pilgrims Dole, Triticus, Smuttynose and right now Graupel.

I was surprised to see that there are only 33 in the top 50... The description has "A somewhat recent and over-looked American strong ale" So what are your thoughts? Would you like to see more breweries experimenting with Wheatwines or would their time be better spent with a more traditional Barleywine?

Starting it off, I am all for more breweries trying this style. It would be great to try a bourbon barrel aged variant as well.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

One of my favorite Washington brewed beers is Old Sol Wheatwine by Big Time Brewing. I love the style.

603BeerMe and flexabull like this.
  3. CloudStrife

Looks like a mighty fine wheatwine... Seattle is where my roots are at so next time I'm home I will be on the hunt for some... Big Time.

4. Very under appreciated!!

603BeerMe, BrewStew58 and FosterJM like this.
  5. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Bourbon barrel pilgrims dole was excellent, as well as perennial heart of gold. Harvest dance was very satisfying also. I say the more styles of beer in production, the better. They also age well.

TwelveOunces and theCoder like this.
  6. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (280) New York May 15, 2011

I'm surprised that Ithaca 13 is not on your list.

Its old, but still tastes pretty good today.

7. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

To the OP:

Go drink a Harvest Dance from Boulvard or a White Chocolate from the Bruery. Bad ass Wheatwines.

Cheers!

8. FosterJM

That was a tasty beer.

Cheers!

9. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

I certainly don't see why the question has to be one or the other. Founders Nemesis (listed here as the 2009) was a delicious wheatwine. Other than that, the only one I'm sure I have had was Pilgrim's Dole (which I gave a 3.7). I've had countless better barleywines, but there are also far more on the market. I'd like to know why this is, whether it is had to brew a great example of, or just due to a lack of demand.

10. CloudStrife

Good call, certainly is not one I have tried but would love to, Ithaca can hold down a brew. Got me thinking of numbers and another wheatwine I've had is Weyerbacher XIV. Have had the pleasure of two of them in the last few months. Great with some age!

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've had the Smuttynose, Harvest Dance from Boulevard, and 13 Hour Wheat from FT Collins. I thought they were decent to good but I'll take a good Barleywine style ale over any of them every time.

12. CloudStrife

I should of phrased the question: What would you want to see your favorite brewery try a new version of?

But that was ending a sentence in a preposition. :-0

13. I love 'em but haven't found one that tops a top-notch barleywine.

14. can't say I have actually ever tried a wheatwine... but thanks to you guys... it is on my beer bucket list for the month of February.

15. Ryewine 4 life.

CloudStrife likes this.
  16. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (275) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

I haven't had many but Short's Anniversary Ale is my favorite.

17. CloudStrife

I can agree with that wholeheartedly but its a difficult comparison. This site lists 531 barleywines to 87 wheatwines. It is inevitable that there are better barleywines.

fmccormi likes this.
  18. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

In that case, I'd love to see more wheatwines, at least as seasonal/special releases.

Also, in response to that 'rule' which I hate: "Not only is the preposition acceptable at the end, sometimes it is more effective in that spot than anywhere else" - http://books.google.com/books?id=sj5_wr6zIEcC&lpg=PA112&ots=msb1sgR9kK&dq=Not only is the preposition acceptable at the end, sometimes it is more effective in that spot than anywhere else&pg=PA112#v=onepage&q=Not only is the preposition acceptable at the end, sometimes it is more effective in that spot than anywhere else&f=false

Forgot this was a wheatwine - personally I found it least appealing of the three, but the blood orange also really separates it from the crowd

CloudStrife likes this.
  19. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

I've only had one and liked it. Wish I could find more of them.

20. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

If only it were that easy.

FosterJM and CloudStrife like this.
  21. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I prefer Rye Wine over both.

22. FosterJM

Touche. My apologies.

Cheers!

23. CloudStrife

This is new to me and very intriguing. I have always enjoyed RyePA's. What are some Rye Wines out there?

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

The wheatwines I've had are typically much sweeter and not as complex as most English Barleywines. It's a turn-off for a lot of people I've shared with.

White Chocolate is no exception - it's a tasty beer, but damn it's really really sweet. Tastes like a Bruery/Southern Tier collab.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'd like to see a list of them too.

26. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

My personal favorite, and while it might be listed as so on this website, is Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard. Also, Rye Wyne from Brau Brothers is pretty awesome, but expensive.

27. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Yeah...I'll just run to the store real quick and grab one...brb...lol.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  28. HardyA

HardyA Savant (265) Michigan Jan 26, 2013

I choose neither. Both are terrible

29. CloudStrife

That is a good point. The 50%+ wheat does give a very sweet taste to the beer. However funny you should mention Southern Tier as their sweeter beers are what really turned me on to craft beer. I am beginning to see a correlation here. Don't get me wrong I would be preferable to a more complex barley wine, just curious if other brewers could master this style.

Craigory likes this.
  30. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I've generally found Wheatwines to be drier and have earthier grain flavors than Barleywines. Wheatwines are one of the few "big" beers I like during hot weather. I can't ever remember wanting a big, sweet, sticky Barleywine when I'm outside in the Summer, but Wheatwines hit that spot just right.

31. Portsmouth's Wheat Wine is amazing and better than any sweet barleywine I've ever had. To me, the hoppier barleywines are almost a different style altogether.

32. Boogoop was pretty great.

33. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I've only had a sample of Harvest Dance, but I thought it was very good and am open to trying more beers from the style.

34. Cenosillicaphobe

Not really the same thing...but it's in the ballpark...Three Floyds and Mikkeller did a buckwheat wine collab called Boogoop that I enjoyed immensely. My only experience with an actual wheat wine was Portsmouth Brewery's rendition...don't recall a name...but it was merely okay to me.

EDIT: ...aaaaand FriarTuckInLuck beat me to the Boogoop lol.

35. Cenosillicaphobe

Yup...and I'm wondering how the cellar is treating it...can't wait to try.

36. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

boulevards harvest dance is hard to beat for $8/per.

drink it fresh. the citra hops fade a lot after a bit.

mkennedy119 and LambicPentameter like this.
  37. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Generally prefer Barleywines but Jackie O's Bourbon Berry Grove was awesome! Not sure how reflective of Wheatwines in general it is though.

38. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

White oak sap from the Bruery is amazing!!!

39. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Yup, didn't get a ton of love here but I gave it a 4.43. Delicious. Bought another to age and now it's retired, alas. :(

Dope

TwelveOunces likes this.
  40. 33 in the top 50 what? I think Im missing something here.

CLively likes this.