1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wheatwine - Under Appreciated or Terrible?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CloudStrife, Jan 30, 2013.

?

Wheatwine or Barleywine?

1. Wheatwine

24.2%
  2. Barleywine

75.8%
  1. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Short's AA is released around my wife's and my anniversary...April (late I believe) This citrus/peppercorn combo is what I love about it.

fmccormi and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  2. Wu Wu Wu: You know it!

Camping last summer and a hot night drinking White Oak, Shorts WW & Harvest Dance in a row was pretty badass.

Side story: You would not believe the heartburn that drinking a Mother Funker all to yourself after those three wheatwines caused. Thanks for passing out beeradvocates (you know who you are).

jtmartino likes this.
  3. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

50% wheat doesn't make it sweet, residual sugar does. A good German hefeweizen has melanoidins in it from a decoction mash, but finishes dry and crisp. Harvest dance by Boulevard is a good example of a wheatwine that isn't sweet, and neither are any of the homebrewed ones I've made or had from friends.

4. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Would loooooove to try that beer. Damn. Gonna have to keep an eye out for that.

5. fmccormi

Are wheatwines particularly difficult to brew? Maybe THAT could be my foray into homebrewing, something I like and wouldn't age horribly when I've got two cases hanging around.

6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

If you're doing extract, not too hard, but maybe not the best bet for your first batch. Bigger beers require fermentation temperature control, pitching the proper amount of yeast and a good deal of oxygenation, all of which are things you'll probably have a little trouble with your first 2 or 3 batches. IIRC my third batch was a 12% RIS that turned out great, so once you have one or two under your belt, go for it. A nice milk stout or foreign extra stout would be a good first batch that could stand up to some extended time in bottles, as opposed to an IPA or Pale.

fmccormi likes this.
  7. fmccormi

Good to know. Wheatwines are definitely something I'd like to try brewing in the future, though.

8. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Rye-on-Rye is divine!

I enjoy wheatwines as well. Harvest Dance, Pilgrim's Dole, Nemesis 09 were all excellent examples of an underrepresented style.

9. lovindahops

lovindahops Advocate (645) New York Mar 26, 2010

On the subject of 13 as either a wheatstone or DIPA I agree with you. Furthermore, i think we both agree that 13 was a wicked brew and ithaca should consider making more. It was just awesome!!!

fmccormi likes this.
  10. I'm glad someone who actually tried both at the same time said that. I couldn't remember exactly how the 2011 Harvest Dance tasted since it's been so long, but I did have the sensation that the 2012 version was so much more... active. Brighter is a good way of putting it. The Costco here in Kansas City was selling the 2012 version for cheap-o, so I bought a few bottles and I'm going to cellar one for a year and see what happens.

11. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Is Boogoop the only Buckwheat-Wine out there?

LOVE Buckwheat.

12. fmccormi

Oh hell yes. It's a shame that it won't (I'm assuming) be brewed again. It was one of my favorite beers, like top-five easily, of 2011. 2011? Was it that long ago? I guess so.

13. lovindahops

lovindahops Advocate (645) New York Mar 26, 2010

Spot on. Honestly, I miss the days that I could boast ithaca as one of the best breweries to put out beers like 13. I'm sure they will give this type of innovation another try soon (I hope).

fmccormi likes this.
  14. fmccormi

Me too, I know exactly what you mean. Here's hopin'.

lovindahops likes this.
  15. fmccormi

Actually, looking back through a conversation lovindahops and I had about Ithaca 13, these are my exact words regarding it's stylistic listing here on BA (and my love for it):

"If they put that into 16oz cans for whatever unbelievable reason (I know they never would), it'd be my second choice after Heady, if I could choose from basically any beer I've had in the last couple of years. I love it that much. Wheatwine my ass, it's a D-Wheat-IPA and kills most of what else is out there on the field, too."

To be fair, I've only had it on tap and the Sorachi / Citra dry-hopping really pops when it's fresh-fresh. Or was.

lovindahops likes this.
  16. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Well, I have only had maybe a handful of wheat wines (or rye wines for that matter) so I voted barleywine, but with that being said, I'v loved all of the ones I've had. Bull and Bush makes an excellent one in Denver, and I've had Boulevard's, and also Short's, which I remember having pepper and blood oranges. It was a standout at the GABF a few years ago. I would love to try more.

I would def. say that wheat wine is underappreciated, but its one of those styles that isn't mainstream, and I doubt you'll ever see a ton of them out there. But, who knows what the new trends could be in craft brewing....

17. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I totally +1 the BB Pilgrim's Dole, I just threw down a 2010 bottle of this a month or so ago and it was unreal.

18. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Ya wheat wines hardly ever come up when people are talking about cellarable brews, but they hold up just as well as barleywines. I am excited to see how my harvest dance does after a few years; that grape juice should be interesting as it develops.

19. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Being that the style originated in Sacramento, I should be a fan due to homerism. However, I have yet to find one that I crave. Maybe one day.

20. terrapin's Gamma Ray Honey Wheatwine Ale was amazing, shitty ill never see it again, and i dont see many wheatwines on my shelves here. i need to do something about that. i think its a style that doesnt really get the attention it deserves, and its a great style for softer palates.

21. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I've had two (Pilgrim's Dole and Boogoop) recently and loved them both. So, I guess I like wheatwine now. :)

22. Three Floyd's Boogoop was pretty excellent. And if you find yourself in Cincinnati, OH., Listerman's Brewing there makes an excellent wheat wine as well.

I think it's probably an underrated style, but that's ok. We all have our preferences.

23. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Only Wheatwine I've was the 2010 Smuttynose and it was harsh. I'd try others but I don't see that many around, or at least I don't recognize them when I'm at the store.

24. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (715) Florida Feb 16, 2012

I am certainly curious about wheatwines. I have only had one, and it was very nice. Interestingly enough, it came from a brewery I am not particularly fond of (Blue Tractor in Ann Arbor). One of the few beers from there that I said, "Hey, this is pretty good!"

Would love to find one from a brewer that I already enjoy and see if they can do it even better.

25. Old Powderhouse is awesome. I saw the BA version was on tap at the (not-yet-open?) Mystic tasting room. Hopefully it gets out to a couple of bars.

26. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

underbrewed.

27. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Voted Barley wines. Though I can't honestly recall having had a wheat wine yet. But it's on the to do list now.

28. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Why did you vote again?

I enjoy both styles, probably Wheatwines a bit more.

*yes, why would you vote in the first place?

Also, it's a rhetorical question.

29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Did I vote twice? Or were you asking why did I vote @ all having never tried a wheat wine?

30. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (850) Florida Feb 27, 2005

I find wheat wines to be overly sweet and boozy and not good. If I want alcoholic maple syrup, I will add scotch to my maple syrup.

31. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I had a wheat wine from smuttynose a while back.................................... I remember it being strong:D ........................... I also remember............................ " never again":eek: