1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When brewers drink something other than their own beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RyanGoodman, Feb 16, 2013.

1. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Savant (300) Bolivia Nov 16, 2011

I know there are at least a few brewers/ceo's of some of the more well known craft breweries as members of Beeradvocate. Who knows how many more are on here. My question to you who fit this category is what beers of your compatriots (or to steal an already established title, what beers of other brewers for freedom of flavor) do you drink just for the pure joy of enjoying a well crafted brew? Wouldn't it be a nice complement for other brewers to know about this? Also fun for us Beer Advocates in general to see the camaraderie and respect you all share in common.
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

There are a number of brewers on twitter and untappd, they will often be drinking other beers. Brewers are people too and they like good beer and variety like the rest of us. Sure it may be a compliment but not necessarily a bigger compliment than a nonbrewer drinking it.
  3. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

I disagree I think it would be a great compliment if a well established brewer was drinking a newer smaller market beer and really liked it. Or at least I would think it was awesome that they would enjoy something I brewed rather then a regular consumer.
    RyanGoodman likes this.
  4. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Savant (300) Bolivia Nov 16, 2011

That's more what I was going for. How nice would it be for the well known brewers to give props to the smaller, new brewers. Maybe even make new friends. After all, isn't that what "Beeradvocate" is all about?.....to advocate beer. I'm wondering what interesting things could happen here.
  5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

There are far more "faceless" brewers out there than there are Gregs, Garretts, Larrys and Sams. I understand and appreciate the point that is being made but you are more likely to get response from the little brewers than the big guys here. There is a lot of interaction within the beer community and most within the community know the others guys are drinking a lot of different beer. Perspectives are just a bit different.
  6. PBR is quite popular, at least in Michigan.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  7. erway

erway Aficionado (200) New Mexico Jul 28, 2006

I resent the mark about us being "people", and variety is never something any brewer I know to be interested in. (kinda kidding, but only kinda)

Seriously, at the Craft Brewers Conference, if a good Pils is on tap, that kicks first without fail. I was in Yakima with brewers from 3 Floyds, Fat Heads, Cigar City, Surly, Brooklyn and Sixpoints. We all started the night off with Mai Thais at a Chinese Restaurant with a karaoke bar in the back. After some serenading by the lovely ladies at Hop Union and yours truly, it was off to the local dive for cans of Olympia and Rainier.

Being surrounded by good beer all the time makes takes the geek out of the beer geek. I certainly do my best to try whatever's out there, but at the end of the day, if I have a good Helles, Dort, Pils or the like available, that's what I'll drink. I don't know any brewers that regularly drink high ABV beers. Sure we'll sample, but I don't know anybody brewing a 12%+ beer for themselves. Doesn't mean there not out there, but I don't know them.
  8. If I was a brewer, I would get pretty sick of drinking the same set of my own beers every day.

I can tell you that when I go on the Pizza Port buses to the San Diego Padre games at Petco Park, we (including the owners of the brewery) visit Mission Brewery after the game and everyone drinks a lot of other craft beers inside the stadium.
  9. If I was a brewer and only drank my own 5-12 beers I would go insane or get bored and become sober. Any craft brewer who doesn't drink everything else is a liar.
  10. yet people bitch about things like ta henket, Midas Touch, Bacon Maple Ale and White Whale getting made. im almost 100% positive it was this thinking that brought those beers about.

also juices i wasnt refering to you in any way, i just think that alot of people that have cried about the weird beers never put them selves in the brewers shoes