1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When "buy local" movement is going too far...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by yemenmocha, Jan 1, 2013.

1. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Bombarded with this dogma even when I'm simply filling my darn gas tank at the gas station. And not only that, there's a partial appeal to the tickers out there. :mad:

I just want to fill my gas tank in peace... but no. :mad:

[​IMG]

Seriously though I think many are past the point of any serious discrimination in purchases and the "buy local" is winning. So much mediocrity on the shelves, at least in my state.

My .02 ---> drink best. If best happens to be local, then great for you, but you are in the minority.
  2. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Well, no one's forcing you to buy local ;)

Anyway, local has its advantages (generally fresher, lower transportation etc.) but yeah, if local options suck, fuck 'em. Luckily for me, the local options are pretty good.
  3. yemenmocha

A couple are above average, maybe a little good. But none are in the league of "best". I guess I'm not anti-local entirely, just the general buy local philosophy because often it amounts to buying local because it is local, and not because it is the best or very very good.

P.S. - isn't it amusing - at a gas station!!!
    Fluke828 and tewaris like this.
  4. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I figure if someone is can't discriminate between quality local offerings and non-quality local offerings, they probably can't discriminate between quality and non-quality in general.
    tai4ji2x and yemenmocha like this.
  5. Maybe I will eat local food and try and keep the culinary money in the community, however drink only local beer? NEVER!
    Hotmetal1, Tkolar, jglowe77 and 5 others like this.
  6. yemenmocha

Agree, but unfortunately there's a lot of those people out there who don't know or even worse - don't care. They're "happy enough" with the local option, and they have the buy local philosophy, so they buy the local ones instead of that world-class regional import sitting next to it.
  7. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

If they can't differentiate the difference between these beers, I think i can accept them buying local over buying cheap (i.e. Bud, PBR, Coors, etc.) But I get what you're saying...its kinda disguised ignorance. I can't deal/hang with these types in real life either.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  8. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

Businesses such as this are going to have point of sale all over the place. Rather it be supporting the other local business in general. The alternative is an ad for a "cube" of light beer. I think what you're really saying is you think about craft beer enough and sometimes you just want to pump your gas... I completely agree but most people don't think about craft beer 24/7 and this sign you've pointed out may be the tipping point to get them to try a macro alternative. That sign is for you, me or any other BA. That sign is for the other guy and honestly I think it's fighting the good fight for us. Quality of local product, IMHO, is a completely separate issue.

Cheers!
    sharpski, BeerSocrates12 and luwak like this.
  9. yemenmocha

Yes I'm being a little facetious because the buy local thing & ticking are thorns in my side on BA. And now I have to be reminded of them while pumping gas!!! :(
  10. Appears to just be a logo for a local Miller-Coors house, promoting the Arizona-brewed beers it carries.

http://az.crescentcrown.com/local

The poster looks to be one of those co-op deals, the wholesaler gives it to the retailer (gas stations, included) with their custom-made message. Seems like "business as usual" - a company promoting some of the products it sells (obviously not "all" given their main brands' logos).
  11. yemenmocha

I've seen that truck in fact, it was at this gas station. But the additional logos were all local breweries that, as far as I know, are not Miller-Coors owned.
  12. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Of course, I am not famaliar with the the area, the customer base, or the store in question, but I imagine that the OP is not the intended target of the sign pictured. My first thought is that the business owner is trying to move some product that the average motorist may not normally consider for purchase. Think about it; simple creative marketing, if not necessarily origonal. Regardless of the business person's motivation, he appears to be promoting craft beer!
    Oh, and keeping things in perspective, that sign is NOT a cigarette ad! I may be guilty of over-taking things in stride...a BMC ad there would not bother me, either. Again, with my minimal knowledge of the situation, my inclination is toward - "I'd support that". But what do I know?
    For the record, I'm fortunate to have many quality local brewers here in the great State of New Jersey, my home. Another thing, at gas stations here in Jersey, NO beer sales! And you have a problem?!!!?

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
    jhartley and denver10 like this.
  13. I didn't say anything about the breweries being Miller-Coors "owned". The distributor, Crescent Crown, is obviously a MillerCoors "house" - an independent company who's main brands are those of MC. Many MC and AB wholesalers around the country also distribute independently-owned craft brands.
  14. It's gotten so bad here in Charlotte that guys from the local brewery's wear ties and ride bikes door to door preaching their "buy local" theology. Where will it end?
  15. Yeah, I wish we'd go back to the good ol' days when local breweries (and other businesses) used to advertise with the slogan:
    "Please buy the quality products of our competitors in distant states and foreign lands.":D
  16. bud914

bud914 Aficionado (140) New York Dec 6, 2008

aren't all beers local somewhere? so there must be some great local beers.

i have no problem with the concept of buying local. there are a lot of people who never know how many quality beers are made in their "local". so if this gets them to try it and enjoy it what the heck, if it's good and you're supporting your community it's a win-win.
    NiceTaps likes this.
  17. 999biotch

999biotch Aspirant (35) Florida Jan 1, 2013

Yes indeed, a sign that the U.S. "craft" beer bubble is inflating quite prodigiously. In the last few years it has been more of a struggle to find belgian, czech , german style lagers and ales that are brewed in their respective countries. And I thought the major monster I had to deal with was the macros' demonic control. Is that cra...........?
    Longstaff likes this.
  18. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

[​IMG]
    Drinking local is for chumps, I drink indigenous! :D
  19. Dude no offense, but you really get pissed off when pumping gas huh? God help you if you have to deal with a sandy/gas shortage type of storm.

Personally, I really enjoy my local brewers. It's part of what got me so hooked on craft beer in the first place. The idea that good beer could be brewed right in my back yard was a fascinating concept. That these guys came from the world of home brewing. It's what led me to seek out other local favorites. I understand the quality may not be there but keep in mind all the big boys started out this way. Look at the Founders Bolt cutter story. 16 years ago these guys weren't even on the map.

But hey, your dollar is what speaks the loudest. If you don't like them then don't buy them. Nobody has a gun to your head.
    BostonHops, rjniles, jimcivis and 6 others like this.
  20. Very good post! Too much subpar in my hood. We have 10 breweries in the Tacoma area and 25% need to fold because they can't make a clean, uninfected product if there life depended on it. Yet, the beer sheep still follow them because supporting local is cool. I support good local, not bad local.

I am very familiar with your beer scene so I wonder whats crappy in the hood?
    Horbar and yemenmocha like this.
  21. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

If it's good, drink it. If it's not good, don't drink it. That's my practice.
  22. grr32

grr32 Aficionado (105) Michigan Nov 7, 2012

Signs like this aren't targeted toward a BA type consumer. The BA consumer walking into that store knows craft beer and knows if local is good/bad. These types of ads are targeting a macro or import consumer which if it works, regardless of the quality of local, is a good thing for craft beer.
    StarRanger likes this.
  23. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Move to Chicago and drink local. We have a few good breweries around here!
  24. I think this was more a come on to get you to step inside and buy beer
    Not so much about the buy local aspect.
  25. yemenmocha

Gladly change my tune there, or San Diego, or Portland, or...
  26. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I'm from NY and I know of no great NJ beers. Please enlighten me so I can seek them out
    yemenmocha likes this.
  27. The only states I've ever lived in have been Delaware and Florida...get my drift?
  28. cid71

cid71 Aficionado (135) New Jersey Mar 2, 2009

Ramstein, Kane; Carton and exit series of flying fish are great. Although Kane and.carton aren't bottled. Cheers
  29. How on earth are you going to get two and a half breweries to fold?
    cubbyswans, ggwheeler and MAbeerNE1 like this.
  30. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

http://crickethillbrewery.com/home.html

I just tried the bourbon barrel imperial porter and was very impressed.
  31. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I support all 4 of my local refineries. I don't play favorites.
    thatsfine and yemenmocha like this.
  32. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (935) California Oct 13, 2007

A better question the gas station (and everybody else) should be asking itself is what does local mean? Arer they defining the term as all the beers from the Phoenix area? All the beers from the state of Arizona? Or anything within a five hours drive? I've seen the term used in one instance at a place in Santa Cruz which prides itself on a "local" product...from Humbolt County, which sits 350 miles away. If the term can be used loosely like that, then product made in the cities of Chicago, Milwaukee, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Cleveland must be "local" to Indianapolis!
    mdvatab and yemenmocha like this.
  33. I won't personally do that. I have no control. The locals with the uneducated palates and hard on for local beer will keep them in business.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Made a thread about this a while ago. I don't buy into the "drink local" movement. If you make good beer I'll support you whether you're down the street or on another continent.
  35. YUP.
  36. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

37. So, when their local beer distributor gives a gas station or any other beer retailer a Budweiser or Coors Light sign to hang in their window, should they also ask themselves what does it mean to be "the King of Beers™" or have "the taste of the Rockies™" , too? :eek:
    beertunes, StarRanger and beerloserLI like this.
  38. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

It's a simple advertisement, not a command to only buy local. To me it's saying, "hey, consider the local guys before you make a decision." If you're a knowledgable beer drinker, then it doesn't matter, it could be an advertisement for Bud Light or Cantillon and you wouldn't make a decision based off an advertisement alone.

Of all the advertisements to be bothered by...
  39. Local has a good price point and is always fresh so when that's what I'm looking for, that's what I get. But, it's laughable to consider mostly drinking local beers to sustain them. If they make what I like, I'll drink that.
  40. It would be nice to be able to have the option of buying beer at a local gas station! Living in PA, forget that!