1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When "buy local" movement is going too far...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by yemenmocha, Jan 1, 2013.

1. OK then let's say we're both right - unless you can prove to me that all of the profits made by a local brewery or a local store that are headquartered locally are all spent locally.

2. While I wager there is plenty of data that could support this claim, I do not have it. So I definitely can not prove it at this time.

3. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

I'm not even sure why this is always such a controversial topic. We all tune out ad slogans we don't care about all the time. Why not this one? How are you "being pushed"?

4. To your point - I do know that there are breweries [SN to be specific] that brew beers with all local or estate grown raw ingredients and there are probably more. But the bottom line is - unless the building materials for the store or brewery, the brewing equipment, the raw material ingredients, the packaging materials, you get the idea - are all made locally, money is going elsewhere. And oh yeah, how about the financing for the operation. In the case of the Mom and Pop store or the small local brewery, is the bank that lent the brewer money local or a big national bank? I know I'm being picayune, but that's the reality. "Local" isn't necessarily 100% local.

Fluke828 and yemenmocha like this.
  5. Completely agree. I don't expect local to ever really be "100% local," but even striving for 50% will make a positive impact on the community.

6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

You're completely right about this in both the larger and smaller components of any purchase - the small ingredients in some mom & pop restaurant's food, or the large dollar amount in the business loan, the owner of the building, etc. - often if not most of the time all of these are based somewhere else and hence not in any reasonable sense local. Then there's the employees who are often on a tight budget and spend their earnings at Wal-mart or similar, and the owner who buys foreign luxury automobiles, etc. Follow the money and it's just silly to sit there and think this quasi-form of economic protectionism is really doing what is intended, at least to the extent believed by the supporters. About the only thing I'm confident it does do is make the adherents feel a little better about themselves and their "local" purchase. Pat on the back... check.

This whole buy local movement is as problematic as the anti-globalization movement with the "buy American" agenda.

otispdriftwood and Fluke828 like this.
  7. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

I support local products of all kinds (beer, wine, etc) and the main reason being for pride. Given a choice for example between a truly superior IPA from outside the region and a very solid version brewed minutes from my doorstep, for me there’s definitely a place for both. Besides the fact that the local option is probably fresher (and a “greener” product for sure) and purchasing it helps the local economy, again there’s a certain pride that I take in saying “we can do this” and well. I’m not going to deny myself a great beer just because it isn’t brewed locally either. But I will go out of my way to support local brewers.

8. While it's impressive how much you know about what's "believed" by the supporters of "buying local", I think you might find if you actually asked people (heck, or even read the posts here) that everyone knows that very few things are 100% local.

Yet me buying a beer brewed a few miles down the street is certainly more "local" and more supporting of said "local" economy than me buying a beer from a CA brewery that's been shipped in.

But more to the point, you have yet to explain why it's such an issue for other people to do what they want with their money. If some BAs are proud to support their "mostly local" breweries, and promote that pride, what is it to you?

Unless you just wanted something to complain about...

9. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

I drink local...But I drink a hell of a lot of non-local.

yemenmocha likes this.
  10. I buy beer primarily based off of 2 factors quality and price. If two options are very similar in quality and price and one is produced locally and one is not, I will use locality as a "tiebreaker". With a strong craft brewing scene in mass and new england (Jacks Abby, Berkshire, Smuttynose, ect) I find that many of my best options for price and quality are local breweries. This is also why I rarely buy foreign beers.

I'm not gonna stop buying things from Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Founders, ect, they offer awesome beers at fair prices.

EdH likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    I'm fortunate enough to be able to drink this fresh, living 20 miles from the brewery, which is something that most people aren't fortunate enough to experience. It would be my go-to beer whether it was local :)

12. Would be nice to see more restaurants with some locals on tap. I usually feel more adventurous (and less thrifty) when eating out. Keep the Bud Light in bottles for those customers with un waiver-able tastes.

Chaz likes this.
  13. I am sure glad I have developed the skill of ignoring things.

14. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

It's cause you live in AZ. With some pretty decent distribution (CA,CO, and Bells) the breweries in those states are by far superior to anything coming out of AZ...I used to live there, I know what you mean.

yemenmocha likes this.
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Right on the money. Nearly all the best beers from California, Colorado, Pacific NW and other parts of the country are on the shelves here at reasonable prices. Many of the rare releases too - Parabola, Abacus, Abyss, Bourbon County, Hopslam, etc. It's... it's just not fair to the locals, really. ;)

16. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Aren't there some small brewpubs or anything around Phoenix?

17. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

High Point: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/607

That is your mission in 2013, to seek them out Mr. Porkhustle.

18. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Cool, thanks. I'll be in South Orange in the coming week so I'll be looking at for these brands you guys mention. I'm particularly intrigued by Cricket Hill, because I really appreciate great beers at lower ABV points - and I now learned they are available in NY on draft/growler. Ramstein is actually one NJ brewery I have some experience with, well just a bit, as I put back a few growlers of their Maibock last spring. Will definitely keep my eyes peeled, as I love German styles. Thanks again

19. Flashy

Visit High Point, it's just a half an hour from the Lincoln Tunnel. They have a great tour by great people. Also the Ship Inn in Milford, NJ is a great place. Cricket Hill can be pretty meh- but a great place to visit.

20. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Ha! Thanks for the tip on CH, I was intrigued by their website and brews. Do you dislike because you're into big beers, or because you don't think they are good brewers?

21. Flashy

22. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

There's brewpubs and production breweries in AZ but none of them are beyond decent/good imo.

yemenmocha likes this.
  23. And here we are again with people assuming that their opinion is in the majority. I've got great local beers available to me. What makes you so sure I'm in the minority?

24. I picked up one of these in Philadelphia and brought it back down to Florida. Haven't tried it but I have been looking forward to it. We have a few good local breweries here in central Florida, and it's still hard to get some of their stuff, i.e. Cigar City limited releases.

25. I think drinking local is great. Nobody says you have to like everything local. Hell, nobody says you have to like any of the locals. Hopefully someone local to you is making good beer that you enjoy. If not, then hopefully something is distributed to your state that you do like. I think it's just about having beer you like available one way or another