1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

when did Newport Storm get so good?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Psychmusic, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Over the past few months I've noticed that Newport Storms cyclone series has gotten really phenomenal. Vlad their imperial stout is a damn decent beer for the price, and stands up to most of mygo tos like ten fiddy and old raspy. Today I had a Will their new (d)IPA. Its incredibly good. A pungent hop kick that struck me as very good IPA even After a glass of Enjoy By.

Did something change over there? I've done their tour and tasting four or five times now, and never been even slightly impressed by their beers, but these have really wowed me. Did they get a new brewer? New management?

2. Haven't heard of any management change.

I've had just 4 of their beers, 2 hits and 2 misses for me. I was quite fond of their Ryan ale. And I thought their blueberry beer was solid....for a blueberry beer, that is.

I'll have to give Vlad a try.

3. Well, it's pretty hard to screw up an imperial stout. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and seek out Will. Otherwise I've really sworn off Newport Storm - just way too many bad-to-blah beers.

Providence likes this.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I haven't bought a bottle that didn't have diacetyl, so I don't purchase the beer anymore. If that's gone maybe I'll give them another shot.

5. I totally agree... before these two I'd never had anything from them that was worth any amount of money.

6. Hokies

Hokies Savant (265) Rhode Island Dec 17, 2007

Derrick is strictly brewing these days and no longer selling. So I imagine the quality control has gotten a lot better with him being in the brew house more.

7. I should give them another try. I wrote them off a while back because everything I got was underwhelming. However, the RI beer scene is really important to me so if they are stepping it up, I want to support that.

ISO: Vlad

amp138 and Psychmusic like this.
  8. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I went out on a limb and picked up some Will...pretty darn tasty and the best Newport Storm I've had by a Loooonnnngg shot.

9. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

I went to a vertical of their annual releases a few months ago. Solid stuff, great experience. Their most recent annual release was intense, a habanero/chipotle beer.

10. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Had Will yes pungent resiny IPA. Good beer for the price. Vlad was good too. Definitely worth picking up the Cyclobe Series for a low priced quality beer night

11. Vlad is awesome.

The last two annual releases have both been really good as well.

Gonna have to pick up some Will and check it out.