1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When did you realized that you were a beer advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Uniobrew31, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mine was tonight. I looked in the sink and there were four distinct dirty beer glasses! Eh... I guess I am a beer nerd: stout glass-dirty, pilsner glass-dirty, hefe wiesen glass-dirty, chalice-dirty. There was a time when I would rather not do dishes than get the most out of a glass of beer!

FishAndBeer and MaxOhle like this.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

When my UPS bill was $340 in 1 month.

3. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

When I was in Louisville for a marathon and still walked to a "good" bar after the race.

jgluck, DelMontiac, Hopsiam14 and 7 others like this.
  4. For me it was when I foun this site, and learned that a beer advocate was a thing.

5. My first PtE, 11 years ago. Then, realizing why the same IPA differed so much from bottle to bottle due to age. Hooked ever since...

jzeilinger, 19etz55 and beerhan like this.
  6. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

I think when vacations began to be planned around where breweries were located...that was when I knew.

jeevo, jgluck, bryanole27 and 13 others like this.
  7. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

When I started to taste the "rare".

8. Hadn't even heard the term till I started using this site.

Blueribbon666 and Uniobrew31 like this.
  9. When USPS stole a trade shipment and I decided to send another shipment so my trading partner would get a box.

RyanCave, lonewolfcry, jgluck and 5 others like this.
  10. semaj

semaj Savant (260) Florida Jan 18, 2013

When I committed matricide because my mother served my barelywine out of a nonic pint.

In all seriousness, when I realized I was checking the "What are you drinking now" page for that day when I would wake up for work in the morning. Jealous always

11. Me neither!!! But it is a good term!

19etz55 and ImperialStoat like this.
  12. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

When I can't fit a goddamn gallon of milk in my fridge because it's too full of beer.

13. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

when my husband forced me to calculate my beer bill for december... and I was as shocked as him....

RyanCave, NSK79, jgluck and 13 others like this.
  14. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

When I jumped all over the old fridge someone was getting rid of. Its in my garage and is stocked!!!

bmilt, jgluck, 19etz55 and 5 others like this.
  15. the light bulb went on for me when i walked into Glen Ro package store (in ct ..they have a back room wit all the goodies) and said hey whats this..dogfish head 90 min...broke my cherry.......hooked

19etz55 likes this.
  16. When I emerged from a puddle of toxic sludge in a sewer beneath the Chicago moon.

19etz55 and Sam_Frank like this.
  17. The first time I tried Bourbon County

18. $5 seemed like too much to go 1/4 on a 30 rack of adjunct.

19. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

False, I was always a beer advocate. Prior to that I drank only single malt scotch and other hard liquors.

20. loafinaround

that's a serious score. I'm envious.

21. It would have to be my first meeting with the Duchesse ...and damnit I still love her..

lonewolfcry, CloudStrife and afrokaze like this.
  22. You need a second fridge.

RobertColianni, 19etz55 and tectactoe like this.
  23. When I started bring beer to the guy at "my" liquor store because it was stuff ne couldn't get.

lonewolfcry, NSK79, jgluck and 8 others like this.
  24. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Man, I don't even want to know mine (probably not as bad for beer alone, but with liquor included... I'll remain ignorant for now until I'm on the streets!)

I've been into beer for a while but today my bf actually asked me what type of glass I thought would be best for his brew. It was a compliment. He later added, "I love that I live with someone that I can get recommendations from if I'm trying to decide between a few different beers." We started getting into craft together but I buy (and have since tried) a lot more, while he generally sticks to liquor or the same few 6-packs.

loafinaround likes this.
  25. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (540) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

When the beer guy at my favorite bottle shop told me I was becoming one of his biggest buyers- and I was freaking excited about it. My wife was not so thrilled.

26. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

I don't know that I'd even call myself a "beer advocate"...but if I were to pick a defining moment, it would be quite recent actually. On Christmas Day last, the family finally figured it out: Gift cards to local bottle haunts. They blinked first!:D

27. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I don't think I am a beer advocate. I just like good beers - sometimes to a fault. ;)

28. Idk if that makes you a BA but daymmmmm

19etz55 likes this.
  29. This wasn't mine but a defining moment for sure. When I got a second job, on top of my full time job, at my favorite bottle shop with hopes of being able to snag more special goodies.

30. when i signed up for the site ;)

31. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

It may have marked an obsession....

32. Lol better said. I do not pass judgement by any means because I feel you on beer being an obsession.

33. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I hope my husband never makes me do this.

34. loafinaround

it was awful. Still in recovery. But I can't help it. It's winter and I love stouts!

Blueribbon666, beercanman and Kerrie like this.
  35. Wo
    WOW!!! I can't tell if that's awesome or just really messed up!

36. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I realized I was a true beer advocate when I had a beer that I didn't like and felt I needed to tell this to everyone. Coincidentally, at the same time I also felt the urge to rave about the superiority of certain brews that are generally highly regarded because I feel it affirms my status as a beer connoisseur.

37. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

When I bought a BA t-shirt at the Extreme Beer Fest in 2010. What a great day!!!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  38. To paraphrase David Lee Roth-
    I'm not like this because I'm on BA, I'm on BA because I'm like this.

So, what was the turning point then? Probably some time in the mid 80s when I was scouring Manhattan's bodegas for the privilege of spending $20 for a sixer of Taddy Porter. And I thought it was money and effort well-spent. No turning back from there, and it continues to be a hell of a ride.

39. Fair enough lol. But the real point for me was the fact that limited beers come to town just about every week and I didn't have the time or money to get them all. When I worked there we got the same bottle limit as the public and made sure the usual customers got it before we all did. It did however insure a bottle was set aside for me so I didn't have to worry about heading there till I worked next. It also didn't make me feel bad about spending money on expensive beer since it was a second job and extra income.

The job didn't last very long but it was a sweet deal while it lasted.

19etz55 and Uniobrew31 like this.
  40. 03/04/03, my join date

RobertColianni, 19etz55 and aasher like this.