1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When did you realized that you were a beer advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Uniobrew31, Feb 18, 2013.

1. To paraphrase an old toast, "Here's to our wives and beer guysn may the two never meet."
    creepinjeeper and TongoRad like this.
  2. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Funny, someone just asked me this today at work. It was 2010, just as I was starting to really look for new beers and lurking on here; I went to the City Beers Store in SF after seeing it on here. This was before the expansion, and I spent a good 3 hours or so trying new things, talking to Craig and Beth (the owners) and drooling over all the walez I had no clue about. Also had my first sour (Dissident) which blew my mind. After that I pretty much knew that it was going to be a serious part of my life and got me thinking about homebrewing. Good thread!
  3. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (285) New York Jan 19, 2013

When my new bride and I hit our tenth craft brewery on our Vermont-to-Seattle honeymoon. And when we hit our eleventh, because hey--prime number!
    jgluck likes this.
  4. When I started saving full bottles instead of empties.
    LostTraveler likes this.
  5. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

You shouldn't have to help it! Here's hoping your husband comes around and appreciates it. While my bf isn't a BA, he at least thinks it's cool and doesn't complain (though he spends his money on rum, so we're about even).
  6. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

when I started spending 20 dollars on a single bottle of beer instead of a 24 pk
    leezy and tcanaday like this.
  7. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (260) Florida Sep 15, 2012

My bank account told me so
    BeerKangaroo and AlaskanYoung like this.
  8. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Got a second fridge. But last week with all the ipa's in season, I had trouble fitting a bottle of water. Girlfriend was not happy.
    CMUbeerenthusiast likes this.
  9. when I realized that my Fedex bill was 300$ and I get a huge discount due to me working in shipping.
  10. When I killed a man 4 hiz walez
    lonewolfcry and leezy like this.
  11. When I finally got through on the "beer phone" at St. Sixtus abbey, got an appointment to buy Westies, and booked my flight to Belgium. And then realizing I didn't have anywhere to store the Westies when I got them back, I bought a chest freezer, aquarium heater, and dual stage temp control to build my beer fridge.
    zoocircle and C2H5 like this.
  12. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

When I learned the names of the beer buyers at 6 different stores.
    lonewolfcry, NSK79, jgluck and 3 others like this.
  13. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

When I realized that I actually owned a beer fridge. And it was 3x the size as my wine fridge.
    JohnQ, RobertColianni and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  14. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

When I decided that following what I spent five years in college studying wasn't going to be as fulfilling as being in the industry.
    leezy, NSK79, mecummins and 3 others like this.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (690) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

When as a volunteer at the finish line of the 2011 Chicago marathon, I pushed through the throng of volunteers bearing water to hand winner Moses Mosop a can of Daisy Cutter*

*fictional recollection
    SammyJaxxxx and ColdOne like this.
  16. When I found out about this site during the ratebeer crash of November, 2008.
  17. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

When I got hooked on trading!
  18. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I would have to say when I found this site. I never really fully noticed the beers I was drinking until I started using this site. I knew I was drinking a good beer but the experience lacked. Started reading reviews of beers I have had after I found BA and truly found that it made my beer drinking experience more enjoyable. I am by no means a beer expert as I have really only got into it recently but I love the facts and things I have learned from using it. Enough so that I decided to join "officially" last week and share my beersperiences with the BA community. I can't wait to continue adding beers to my personal profile and enjoying this website!
    creepinjeeper and Kerrie like this.
  19. When I opted to simply not drink at a gathering because all that was offered were adjunct lagers.
  20. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

The very moment when I was able to grow a full beard.
  21. When the beer guy at the local store started reserving bottles for me without having to ask
  22. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Insert bourbon here
  23. I drank a nice beer and I was like... Whoa...I could be an advocate of this.
    Sam_Frank likes this.
  24. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Savant (490) Ohio May 24, 2011

My first craft experience was 2008. I knew I was on my way May 2012 when I returned from a two week trip to Denver back to Cleveland w/ a car full including Pliny,Parabola, Uncle Jacob's Stout, and Dogfish Head 120 and my friend Matt who introduced me to "The Life" said I took it way past his expectations!
  25. Enron got away with it...so can you with creative accounting! ;)
    lonewolfcry and RobertColianni like this.
  26. When I started reviewing beers.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  27. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

...when I created my account on BA.
    ESeab likes this.
  28. when I stopped drinking from cans and bottles and only drank from a glass ;)
    drrone and mecummins like this.
  29. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

When I saw a "make your own 6pk" wall and got a half chub.
    tcanaday, Kerrie and creepinjeeper like this.
  30. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

When I used google to find liquor stores that carry pliny. Discovered my two favorite shops from that.
  31. After drinking ruination, all i wanted was craft beers
  32. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

It's difficult hiding an extra 0 :-(
    jzeilinger likes this.
  33. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

When I stopped loving Chicago.
  34. jpizz

jpizz Zealot (90) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

When 2 months ago in my beer fridge was just bud light,heineken and blue moon. now i have belgian and scotch ales, russian imperial stouts,brown ales,pale ales and my new favorite IPA and i love the hoppy beer where before i thought it was awful. as my wife said i am officially a beer geek and happy to be. cheers
    jgluck likes this.
  35. I'm definitely still new to the BA community...but noticed when I started scouring breweries and bottle shops prior to all work trips :).
    jgluck likes this.
  36. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Oh, but it hasn't stopped the family trip to the windy city (and beer runs).:rolleyes:
    Derek333 likes this.
  37. When i ws on a first name basis with the owners fof my then local bottle shop, and we would have the 'have you tried this...have you tried that?" conversations for 15 minutes
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  38. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

When I stopped getting BMC stuff when my friends came over to hang out, and went outa my way several times to put some stores, restaurants and breweries and their beer on the "beer map."
  39. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

September 8, 2009....My first time on the site and my join date.....CHEERS
  40. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

AWESOME