1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When did you realized that you were a beer advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Uniobrew31, Feb 18, 2013.

1. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

When I thought 'I should really get a second fridge just for my beer', and then remembered I already had 2, with one already being...a dedicated beer fridge.
    lonewolfcry, Andygirl and ESeab like this.
  2. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

when Pretty much I've had every beer people ask/tell me about (though I know not All of them...& Yes, SOME folks Here have had Way more than me)...

I also notice (in my Work environment) that one person "asks" me.. & the Many others around, stop to listen about what I may have to say. I've led Many folks to the Craft scene over the last handful of yrs. It's kind of cool when you actually Know what's Good & whats Not..& the Fact people Value your opinion, because you/They Know you Know what you're talking about.

- I am PROUD to be a Beer Snob or "Advocate"...
    - I also am Not a Novice Brewer, & I grow Organic Hops in my backyard too. So... maybe that helps as well ;P
  3. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

This. As soon as I joined I was hooked
  4. I realized that I was a beer advocate when I started getting into heated debates with wine yuppies about how the characteristics of the greater world of wine (primarily bland renditions executed in the United States, France, Italy, and Australia) fail to hold a candle to those capable in beer. Going hand in hand with this was the epiphany to start creating my own beer instead of relying on a manufacturer to envision my desires for me. You tend to be able to grade yourself and learn on a harsher curve when it's all your fault that something goes wrong or doesn't live up to your own personal standards. This was my path to beer advocacy.

That said, I think many of you fail to understand the difference between advocate, beer snob, being seen, and drinker. An advocate wants to learn about beer, pass on the knowledge, couple beer instead of wine with great food, encourages the expansion on understanding, and push to defend that great beer does exist in the home and artisan hands; someone willing to stand up and say, "Hey! [Beer A] would pair better with this than [Wine A]. Don't be afraid to write off the straight forward cattle shoot of the world of wines to make room for the never ending array of great beer." I believe, in my opinion, that although many of you may love beer, you're not advocates, but sheep forever meant to follow the wanderer. While I believe you are enjoying whatever it is that you do, I do not believe that you really know how to spread the knowledge of beer rather than just talk about whatever trending hot list beer tastes like and what endeavor you've gone through in order to obtain such a bottle. The overwhelming number of people calling themselves beer advocates on this site just because they have a user name is getting more and more ridiculous by the day.
    A BA knows that USPS isn't a privatized shipper thus can scan, open, seize, and prosecute based on contents as legal as beer, because of state line crossing. If you're shipping with USPS, you could have gotten you and your trading partners in a SHIT HEAP of trouble. Stop immediately.
  5. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

When we got a second beer fridge so there could be one on each level of the house...
    ESeab likes this.
  6. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

When my friends started drinking good beer and stopped giving me shit for it. My defining moment as a BA was when I recently converted a good friend of mine. This guy freaked out at his wedding becuase they had miller light instead of bud light. He freaked so bad that the wedding planner went to the store and bought him a case. Two years later I bring over a six of Schlafly Pumpkin ale to watch some football and give him one to try. Later that week he called asking where I had gotten it. The next week I come over and he has two six packs in the fridge.
  7. When I would shop online beer stores WITHOUT money just to see what the cart would add up too....

EDIT: Case in point...just taken
    [​IMG]
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  8. I meant UPS.
  9. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

When I knew there had to be more to beer than a Matts Premium beer ball.
  10. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Not sure, but maybe when I first saw the words "Respect Beer".
  11. When I was 17 and I had my first real beer, Spaten.
    klaybie likes this.
  12. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

when I visited this site and learned about craft beer.
  13. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 12, 2013

When, after already having a few beers, I decided not to open another because I would not have been able to appreciate it in the state I was in.
    RobertColianni and DHS1029 like this.
  14. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

To add to that point, I will also say that I became a beer advocate when I stopped drinking beer to get drunk and started drinking it because of how it tastes, not caring if I get drunk or not
    Cee-Poe likes this.
  15. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

I had to get a second "mini" fridge
  16. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

My defining moment was yesterday, when I got a beer consultation call from a good friend of mine. He was in his local shop in PA, wondering what a doppelbock was, and should he buy a case of it brewed by a macro-brewery. While I told him he is entitled to purchase and drink whatever he wants, I explained to him the characteristics of said style, and suggested that he not buy the case in question. Instead, I'll bring him a great example of the beer style, and to purchase a good stand-by in its stead.
    jgluck likes this.
  17. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

When I saw this BA's post and realized I have 3 of the 4 of those in my basement.
    MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  18. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

When I stumbled on this site and the discussions about cellaring beer. Then I went out and bought a whole bunch of beer for my "cellar."

They've been sitting there in a growing collection ever since. It's only been a few months but I'm salivating at the prospect of breaking out some aged beers in the next few years.
  19. Shortly after i dicovered this site. I didn't chane i just didn't know i was a BA.
  20. When I shelled out $80 for a CBS. Was it worth it? Take a guess...
  21. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

Everyday when I drive home from work and hit all my local spots just to see what new stuff is out.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. I considered my BA moment when at my bro-in-laws lake cabin I just had to lake pour the bud light he offered me and go back to my cooler of SNPA. Just can't do the BMC any longer.
  23. KenC

KenC Aficionado (240) New Jersey Jan 21, 2011

When I spit out my first "Bud". Trust me, that was long before this interweb thingy.
  24. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Less than 1/2 hr ago when I dropped almost $60 on a 4 pack of 12oz'ers.
  25. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

When I started pouring every beer into my Duvel tulip and ditched my iced pint glasses that I kept in the freezer.
  26. when i went to beer heaven (store in philly) and just stared at everything for a good 30mins (maybe longer lol) also the whole foods in tribeca has a rather large selection, i just looked at the shelves and drooled for a bit until i finally decided what to buy :D
  27. Probably in college where I was often ridiculed for drinking a 6er of "fancy chocolate beer" rather than 24 Busch
  28. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

When I wanted to go to the store every weekend to try as many new styles as I can. Also when Guinness wasn't the best beer ever to me.
  29. When the guy at the corner liquor store started calling me a "regular".
  30. Just like Tballz, mine was the day I found this site and signed up, 10/8/2005.
  31. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

When I had to start putting beer in the garage fridge because the ole lady started in on me.
  32. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

When I spent 2 hours driving to liquor stores and grocery store "wine & spirits" departments to put my name on the call list for the next release of Founder's KBS.
  33. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Funny how so many people equate chasing releases, not drinking other beers, or enjoying a certain beer themselves as the moment of "advocacy"

I sent a random a box because I saw him in awe of some fairly easily obtainable beers (for me at least, given some time in the trading/cellaring world) with no expectation of beers in return. I knew I was an advocate before that, but that was likely my first action toward showing it.
    RStang13, jgluck and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  34. Similar moment for me. I was on a float trip and had brought a 12 pack of coors light because I couldn't find anything good in a can. I drank the first one and quit. It just wasn't worth it. I told my wife never again would I waste my money on crap beer.
    Smokebox_79 likes this.
  35. Probably when I had my first Guinness and realized what beer could be. Prior to that, I thought beer was horrible and couldn't understand why people would drink it. To be honest, first beer I had that made me want to actively seek out different beers was probably a Magic Hat Blind Faith, followed shortly by an Old Rasputin.
  36. ...When i'm in my local beer stores and the customers are asking ME for advice on what to get, instead of the workers there.
  37. When my buddy offered me a Busch, and I said Id rather not drink!
  38. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

...when someone starts this same thread every month or so
    bifrost17 and devlishdamsel like this.
  39. When I began to photograph my beer, regardless of ridicule or concern, and share it with you bastards.
  40. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

When I first registered for the site, duhhh!