1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When did you realized that you were a beer advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Uniobrew31, Feb 18, 2013.

1. When i started scheduling work trips and vacations around beer releases.
  2. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

Well I'm still a bit of a newbie.But this kind of describes the beginning of my journey.In the 80's I and my friends already liked "better" beers.Guiness,Anchor Steam,Sammy Smith's Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout.Also Somehwere in there Buffalo Bill's opened.

More recently.On Sunday I was in TW looking for a couple things.Since I drink mostly IPA,DIPA etc I would pick up each bottle and hold it up to see if there was a date on it !
  3. cbartow

cbartow Zealot (95) New York May 10, 2011

1987...when I stumbled upon the beer menu at the Peculiar Pub and realized the beer world had flavorful options I still have the menu in a scrapbook. Admittedly the last few years has greatly intensified that interest!
  4. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (465) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I have a grad class that I am taking about an hour from home, and I usually leave about an hour earlier than I have to so I can go to a couple of bottle shops before class. Tonight I found a few things- Rye-on-Rye, Alpha Klaus, Peruvian Morning, and Espresso Oak Aged Yeti- not a bad little haul. The problem is this- it is currently 10 below in Illinois. So what do I do? I wrap my coat around my beer and proceed to freeze my balls off while walking into class- all so my beer would stay at a decent temperature.
  5. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

When I saw this video and saw how humorous it really was:

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  6. Time to review your second beer then!
  7. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

I don't review beers. It's a waste of time and nobody gives a shit about my opinion about a beer - and I don't care about others tasting notes. That review was a one time exception, as I noted.
  8. TNasty1126

TNasty1126 Aficionado (175) Hawaii Jun 21, 2012

When I laughed at a guy ordering sam adams... im a dick
    TheGoldenGod likes this.
  9. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

When I looked into my beer fridge and counted 52 different beers across 20 styles and only one IPA.
    Tut likes this.
  10. When I got my first BA karma point. Bring karma back!
  11. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

You're confusing beer snobbery with beer advocacy.
  12. When I spent 30 minutes in the stocking area of a gas station walk in cooler searching for a Stout I had never heard of.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  13. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

Long time hop head and IPA lover. Started enjoying the occasional stout. A buddy from here brought me to a bottle share and cracked open a Black Tuesday. Done.
  14. Was it Utopias that you laughed at? Because that would be funny.
    TNasty1126 and RStang13 like this.
  15. before I was on this site... I ordered a big heavy beer, and it came in a nice tall pint glass. I commented on the incorrect glassware... that is when I knew.

I also drank all of it because I couldn't let all that good beer go to waste!
  16. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (280) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

- getting texts from family members/friends asking for beer suggestions
    - randomly sending friends from out of state boxes full of out of distro beers
    - letting friends pull WHATEVER they want from my cellar to be enjoyed late night poolside
    - being on a first name bases (voice recognition) with beer guys in three different states
    - having my local bar beer buyer calling asking for suggestions for new taps
    - randomly handing out out of distro beers to random interested customers at my local shop
  17. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

To follow up- We had our tasting experience last night. It wasn't my intent to "convert" him, but I think it happened naturally, as he sipped his Aventinus Tap 6 Doppel, he couldn't stop admiring its flavor. Now, I know it's not a typical doppel, but I had a good experience with it the first time I had it, so I thought it a good go-to. We also tasted Celebrator Ayinger DB. Great stuff, to be sure, but my preference was the Tap 6.
  18. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Recently, I knew it was full on when my bottle shop buyer had been away for a week... and came back from his vacation (beer festival, of course) with beer for me that you can't buy in GA. Just gave them to me, because it would be illegal for me to buy them from him. and they are gems!

[​IMG]

And he gave me some of his own home-brew to critique. I think I am "all-in."
  19. leezy

leezy Aficionado (175) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

After spending 2 hours googling "better" varieties of Miller Lite and stumbling across BA
  20. creal92

creal92 Initiate (0) Kentucky Feb 24, 2013

After my braj introduced me to craft beer and this site. I can't always buy the best stuff, but I know that I prefer a good craft brew over the mass produced crap sold at most stores.
    jman005 likes this.
  21. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

The first time my beer budget was bigger than my monthly bills.
    mcrago likes this.
  22. When the guy at my packy gave me his copy (my first copy) of BA.... and I read the whole thing in the car before leaving the parking lot.
  23. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm not a very good BA, my tastes and trials are long but thin. I like Hoppy APA's/IPA's/DIPA/ BA Stouts and such, I'm not interested in branching out much beyond these styles, don't care for Funk or Sours, can take or leave most Pils, I really have no interest in Belgian brew of any style. I think I'm fairly well tested in IPA's and such I've tried everything I can get my hands on over the years, it's what floats my boat.
  24. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

I'm still relatively new to this craft brew thing (in a major way), and as is the case with everyone who becomes part of that brotherhood (sisters, too, though they are are rare and wonderful breed), they have one, or maybe more watershed moments when they realize that there's a strange and wonderful world out there beyond the mass-produced stuff. For me it was 1993- #2 Notre Dame (I'm a fan) at home vs #1 Florida State. On that day, this poor boy went from Keystone Ice to Samuel Adams Boston Lager. My first beer and a half of SABL was a bitch-slapping of my taste buds. By the end of the six-pack, I was in love. I didn't expand on that experience at that time (I'm slow on the uptake sometimes).

Fast forward to 2008, Austin Record Convention (yeah I'm a record geek, too). While in town, I tried a New Belgium 1554 Enlightened Black Ale. The love of good beer was rekindled, never to look back.

I've had some wow moments since (Jai Alai, Two-Hearted Ale, Hop Rod Rye), and I now confront one of the beers of the moment, Lagunitas Sucks. My palate is still pretty unsophisticated, I can't identify 20 different flavors like some can. I just know that, for reasons I'm still trying to figure out, this beer is enchanting.

What was the watershed moment when you realized that there was something beyond the Bud/Miller/Coors stuff, and what beer did it for you? Forgive my rambling.
    creepinjeeper and Duff27 like this.
  25. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

The first time when I had fat tire when I was 18. (Actually, I had Budweiser American Ale before that and thought it was pretty nice). I havent really looked back since I turned 21 and I am 23 now. I dont have the best palate in the world but I still try my best to do reviews of beers. It has consumed me pretty much. Not in an alchoholic way but in a I love the beer community type of way
    alucard6679 likes this.
  26. JMS1512

My first sip of Arrogant Bastard Oaked Ale, a few years ago.
  27. shawnohall

You went from the usual suspects to Arrogant Bastard (a special version even)? That's quite a jump. Cheers.
  28. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I drank a German bock at the age of 2, just outside of Munich, Germany. Back in ancient times, I used to get Bass, Tuborg and Augsburger. These were great beers, unlike Pearl or Schaefer's. (not that they're not good). I drank dunkels, dopplebocks and helles before it wuz fashionable. My people would chunk their empty Coors cans at me for drinkin' "sissy" beer. Didn't know what an IPA was until I joined BA, tho'.
  29. shawnohall

You must get Three Floyds. I'm envious.
    dsal89 likes this.
  30. JMS1512

The labeling and the text on the back also played a part in it. How could you not want to try it after reading the copy?
  31. kennyo

kennyo Savant (415) New York Jan 30, 2003

probably 25+ years ago when i would go to Flair Beverage on 207th St in Manhattan, every week or so and look around and say "Cool, a new beer, pilsner style, from Greece, Turkey, Germany, fill in the other countries, because that is what was being shipped to this country, finding a Banks Stout from Bermuda was something else, probably wasn't good but it was different. It was all about trying new beers, waiting until someone got it right.
  32. When I calculated how much $$$ I gave away in free tastings to try and get my friends into craft beer.
  33. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Initiate (0) Georgia Mar 8, 2013

When I found myself wanting to go to Brick Store Pub and The Porter beer bar with friends on a fairly regular basis.
  34. Four years ago, when I had my first Fat Tire while everyone around me was having a Summer Shandy. Go forward to 2010; Further show in Chicago. Hanging out before the show at "Shakedown Street". My daughters were drinking cans of Coors Light and I had my first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Next day, buying a six so I could taste it in a glass (not the bottle). I started respecting the beer, the people that brew it and the people that drink it. Practicing beer karma and see it come back to me. Then last night, my first BCBS. Trying to taste, smell and savor what all of the fuss was about. I can't think of any one moment in time that I knew; it's been a progression for me. I know I'll keep progressing as well. Cheers.
  35. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I'm gonna go with when I started to realize that my closet was full of beer and I was specifically saving certain bottles and not drinking them right away
  36. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

also: when I organized a beer tasting session with my co-workers after hours just to encourage the interested to pursue craft beer even more....
  37. I realized I was a beer advocate the first time I heard someone order a Budweiser and I felt a little part of me die on the inside.
  38. shawnohall

One could certainly do worse.
  39. shawnohall

Sad that there are so many sheep out there programmed by billions of dollars of advertising to buy Bud/Miller/Coors Light Light freakin' Light. Watching someone at a bar with a goodly number of good craft beers taps order a bottle of mass-produced light swill is, indeed, kind of sad. Sadder still is when you try to turn your friends onto a better level of beer (I tried Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) and watch them make faces as they were drinking it like it was castor oil.
  40. Sounds like the exact opposite of beer advocasy too me.
    alucard6679 and ktblue22 like this.