1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When does Kate age out?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by UNCCTDawg, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Not talking about that ole girl that you messed around with in College...

Kate the Great. What's the optimum time to hold one in your opinion? The reason I ask is because my brother-in-law and I opened some nice Imperial Stouts, over a few days, not too long ago (2009 Kate, 2012 BT, 2012 BASC, 2011 Hunaphu, 2012 Darkness, BCBVS, JK Whiskey Rodeo, Event Horizon). After talking for a while about their differences, tastes, smells, BA vs. non-BA, how we would rank them, we both agreed that the Kate was at the bottom of both of our lists... Granted, thats just two jackasses giving their opinions, so it doesnt mean anything besides just that... our opinions. But, did we hang on to it too long??? Has anyone done a vertical lately? I want to know so I can try to drink the next one that I try to grab a little sooner or at the optimum time. Those were all great brews and maybe thats what the problem was, they were all too good. I'm not downing the beer by any means, it was good. Thoughts?

2. Can't really comment on aging Kate, but even fresh, its a little more subtle in flavor than some of the other stouts you guys drank that night. I enjoyed Kate, but it may not stand out compared to some of the more over the top stouts that are around these days.

3. Just curious but aside from Kate ranking at the bottom, how did the rest of your list shape up? Solid lineup there.

4. Well... Mine was different than the bro-in-law's, but the best I remember was:

Hunaphu
    BCBVS
    BA Sexual Choc
    Darkness
    Black Tuesday
    Event Horizon
    Whiskey Rodeo
    Kate

5. I'm pretty sure Kate 09 was infected.

CarolinaKevin likes this.
  6. I remember seeing a quote from an interview a while back where the brewer said two years was a sweet spot in terms of aging. Accordingly, I opened one bottle from my trip in 2010 fresh and one about two years later (which lined up with my 500th review). While the aged bottle was good, I definitely preferred Kate fresh.

smutty33 likes this.
  7. my kate 09's have tasted fine. supposedly they looked into it and there was no detected infection, just that the port-soaked oak spirals they used that year seemed to have an "off" acidity for some people.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  8. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I can't speak to the optimal age, but there were some bad bottles of '09 Kate floating around, because I had one. It was thin & tart & full of berry taste, which I'm certain wasn't the intent because I've had it since & the '09 was an entirely different beer.

9. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

It's already aged out, bummer. Better send it to me!:)

10. Sorry dude! It's been consumed!!!!

11. My personal preference is that Kate is best fresh. All the experiences I've had with it on tap were better than the bottled version. I had 2011 Kate from the bottle four or five months after KtG day and I thought it was good, but nowhere near where it was only a few months before.

Also, for what it's worth, I've thought there was always a bit of batch variation, particularly with the 2011 version which was higher in ABV. That was my personal favorite. 2012 was a bit port heavy IMO. I have heard things about the 2009 possibly being infected. I've never had it myself, but I have heard it's not the best vintage.