1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When does Octoberfest usually become available in distributors?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brewmaster70Bill, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Assuming early August since everything is always at least a half season early! Anybody know or remember from previous years? Thanks!
  2. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Depends on the brewery, but yes, they start to trickle in around late July/early August. I remember seeing Sly Fox Octoberfest on the shelf when I bought Weyerbacher Impy Pumpkin last year, which was the first week in August.
  3. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I dislike seeing early pumpkin ales, but more Oktoberfest on the shelves is always a plus to me.
    harrylee773 and Horbar like this.
  4. Weyerbacher Imp Pumpkin is already out and has been for a couple weeks. Most of the Oktoberfests shouldn't arrive for another 3-4 weeks.
  5. Some German O'fests, like Paulaner Marzen, are even available year round if you need a fix. I'd check the dates, in any event, though- every now and then you'll see somebody (distributor or retailer) trying to pass of old stock from the previous year.
  6. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Savant (390) New York Oct 13, 2010

Sam Adams droped their oktoberfest on August first last year so im assuming the same for this year, id assume most others, depending on size and summer seasonals still stuck out in the market, will follow suit
  7. Spaten Oktoberfest is year round. Last year Great Lakes had it on tap and for sale in bottles at the brewery the last weekend of July.
  8. First week of August is typically release time for oktoberfest beers. The event I'm doing this weekend will feature several of these beers newly two weeks before the stores get them
  9. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (290) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

I didn't know pumpkin ales were released this early. This thread makes me look forward to fall!
  10. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 Savant (280) Minnesota May 19, 2011

This year Summit had their Oktoberfest & Autumn Sampler packs available before July 4th; which is the earliest I've seen.
  11. Sam Adams is usually one of the first and honestly I suspect that it's in distributors warehouses right now waiting for the summer to run out.
    elgiacomo likes this.
  12. These days, I think they are out some time in the beginning for May...
  13. I'm in Southern CA, so I get SA Octoberfest pretty much last of everybody. The earliest I've seen it here was around August 12th.
  14. Very soon. Sly Fox here in PA has their Ofest already in cans ready to ship. We will be seeing it very, very soon.
  15. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

Within the next few weeks. Many breweries have already started filling distributors orders so warehouses are filling up with O-fest and pumpkin beers all over the country. Once the summer beers clear out and stores are ready to take their orders you'll start seeing them.

16. Give it another year and it will be May.
    Saw someone buying a case of Smuttynose pumpkin on June 22nd (two days after official start of summer) this year.
  17. I don't think so (and hope not). They seem to use fiscal quarters:

January - March = Spring beers
    April – June = Summer beers
    July – September = Fall beers
    October - December = Winter beers
  18. I really enjoyed last year’s Sly Fox Oktoberfest in cans. I bought two six-packs in August 2011. My ‘beer memory’ may not be 100% accurate but IMHO last year’s version was the best ever!

Cheers!
  19. So...as long as your by then -stale "seasonal" is still on the shelf for the 1st day of said season..it 's still considered a "seasonal "?

Note to SHANEpb...not ragging on u but just frustrated with the seasonal creep going on.

Hell I saw BOTH Post Road & Shipyard Pumpkin on draft last week at a bar...in mid -July during an excruciating heat wave here in New England.
  20. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (310) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I can't wait each year in August when I can go to Costco and get my cases of Sam Adams Octoberfest. One of my favorite brews.
    MarkF150 likes this.
  21. No Halloween or Thanksgiving pumpkin beers for you! (they will all be gone by then) :-(

Just got done with one of the hottest weeks of the year - phew - now that the cold weather is finally here, bring on the Ofests, pumpkins, and brown ales..... <eyeroll>
  22. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Already saw a pumpkin beer yesterday. Granted it was the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin, but I actually did a double take when I saw pumpkins on a label.
  23. A few of the local stores got Harpoon UFO Pumpkin in today.
  24. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

One of our distributors said that he was getting a shipment of Octerberfest in next week. I'm fairly certain he said it was from Bells but I could be wrong so don't hate me if I am incorrect ;)