1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When, in your opinion, is Heady at its peak?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mark14580, Jun 7, 2013.

1. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

My awesome buddy ChefDuff2 was at The Alchemist Monday and brought me back a case of Heady right from the brewery. I opened up my first can on Tuesday, 1 day old deliciousness. The beer was absolutely amazing. However, I couldn't help notice that it was almost missing something. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it but it just tasted a little too fresh. I remember seeing an interview with John Kimmich in which he says he prefers Heady at 10 weeks. Interview here:

So when do you think Heady is at its peak?

Ant4711 likes this.
  2. For me its whenever the fluff I can get it. I've been lucky to get it pretty fresh thanks to some awesome BAs.

3. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (605) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

Day 1-3. The pour looks beautiful, taste is so fresh. Anything after 5 days just loses it's quality that makes it rated so high in the first place.

4. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

That one guy in the back doesn't have a beard!

5. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (705) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

Yeah I recently got my first 4-pack, and had my first (canned Monday) that Friday. It was absolutely amazing. My second was the following Friday and still great, but certainly not quite as freshly hopped. I'm planning to crack a can tonight and see if anything has changed for the better, but I think the general consensus is that it is best when freshest.

6. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

Agreed.

7. mark14580

Edit: I failed to mention that I have had Heady several times before but never 1 day old.

8. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Never tried aging it

9. The moment you put one in my hand....

10. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Is it 1 day old though? He says in the video they release Heady at 4 weeks. Maybe he meant that it's canned after 4 weeks?

Roguer and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  11. chippo33

You can watch the same can being filled and sealed seconds before you buy it if you go on a canning day.

12. There was a guy who posted a pic of an "aged" topper that had a lot of "floaties" in it. It looked just awful and gross. We drive up to Waterbury often(including tomm) and they seem better fresh. I'm going to date a 4 pack and try one of them each month for the next four months to see. I've had month old and it clearly loses some hoppiness.

LSMroz and nsheehan like this.
  13. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

When people aren't talking about it...

14. mark14580

yeah I thought that was confusing. Not sure.

15. chippo33

In the tank for 4 months, released for sale the second it comes off the line.

16. I thought the floaties were a normal thing that are present even in fresh Heady?

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  17. It holds up for months...

Casterbridge likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm guessing Heady is easily a 2-3 month IPA, and that's rare. Maybe the can vs bottle helps, but I have some a almost a month old and there's absolutely no difference since fresh.

AleFredO and Casterbridge like this.
  19. chippo33

Not at all. I've been pouring Heady out of the can since it's been canned for people at work and I've never seen anything like that.

20. Interesting, I wonder when that starts to happen - you learn something new every day. I'm going to bring back a case in a few weeks, guess I'll be on a mission to finish it ASAP! (not that I'd plan on sitting any of it for more than a month, but it sounds like 2-3 weeks might be best)

21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Floaties are completely normal more so as it ages. Watch the video clip, he thinks it's best at 10 weeks, it's the only brew he cans, tells me everything I need to know.

Roguer and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  22. I like it from day 1 to about day 75. I have never had it last longer than that. I would pick about 2 to 3 weeks as best for me.

As far as floaties go, I don't usually have many if the beer gets to settle and is poured gently, leaving a little in the can.

23. Brodie91

Brodie91 Initiate (0) New York Jul 13, 2012

I just wish I could get Heady so I could contribute to the conversation :(

BedetheVenerable and teraflx like this.
  24. Three weeks after canning is the correct and only answer;). Seriously. Perfection.

25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

You ask us how much time should pass?
    It's best when e'er it's in my glass.

DmouthCaliBrewz and Roguer like this.
  26. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

So you never like Heady?

27. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

ISO: Regular VT trading partner :)

Oops, this isn't the classifieds.

BedetheVenerable and Roguer like this.
  28. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I've had week old Heady and I've also had it after it sat in my fridge for about 3 months. To be completely honest, I enjoyed the 3 month old Heady the most.

29. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

As a few have said before. I am just grateful when I have it. Nothing like mowing your lawn on a Saturday morning drinking a Heady from the can. On the west coast it's a rarity.

30. Just keep it cold. I bought a case of it in mid April. Have had some in fridge since, those are still drinking great (as of a week ago). Due to space constraints, I stored a four pack on my cement cellar floor for about two weeks...it's about 60 degrees on that floor. I put that four pack in the fridge after two weeks or so, and just had one of those last night. It was awful. Absolutely clear indication...Heady, like any unfiltered IPA, needs to be kept cold. If it warms (say while shipping it out in a trade), put it in the fridge as soon as you get it and drink it ASAP.

But, I guarantee if you pick up Heady from the source and keep it cold it will last at least a couple months and still be awesome.

Benny3000 likes this.
  31. There is definitely a difference between the first two days, and after that. But its stays good for months.

32. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

Over three days old = drain pour

Benny3000, Curloftheburl and Dracarys like this.
  33. Some of you guys who are so hung up on IPAs that are over 2 days old would probably be better off buying a Randall and running bud light through some simcoe and citra cones

34. DanH83

DanH83 Aficionado (210) New York Feb 14, 2013

Ugh....here we go. Lets dissect this beer......again. It's Heady, it's beer, it's delicious. Resume consumption.

meb3476 and Lledd like this.
  35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

You drink far too little.

jstout26 likes this.
  36. ... drinking a Heady the day after its canned does not mean its 1 day old.... it means its 4 weeks and 1 day. It's pretty simple.

meb3476 likes this.
  37. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'll say around two weeks, personally. Though I really need to drink it more often to form a truly informed opinion :)

Roguer likes this.
  38. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Savant (300) California Apr 15, 2013

So do you report your age starting from the day of conception?

39. have you tried it in a boot? Because that is really the best way to have a heady.

40. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

four weeks.