1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When, in your opinion, is Heady at its peak?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mark14580, Jun 7, 2013.

1. since im not beer, no. When i make beer and people ask how old it is, if i brewed it 4, 6, 8 weeks ago, i tell them its 4, 6, 8 weeks old... beer is beer once it hits the yeast.

2. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (595) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

yes, thank you - sorry about that

3. This is the reason the whole argument is moot. There is a reason you will never drink a beer at 2 days old unless you are at a brewery drinking from a Bright tank, and that reason is that 1-2 day old beer sucks. The entire concept of a beer falling off over days is for the snobs and the ignorant.

KS1297 and RayUF07 like this.
  4. Somewhere around

[​IMG]

5. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Start trading

6. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

You've got to stop caring what other people discuss.

JayORear and CORKSCREWFISH like this.
  7. bud914

bud914 Aficionado (140) New York Dec 6, 2008

my brother in law goes up to the brewery for me once a month or so. he has business up there. just came back with 3 cases fresh as can be. i am a very popular guy at work. once a month that is.:)

8. I agree that keeping it cool is the key. If handled properly I don't see any difference between 1 day and 1 month. After that it does start to settle out a bit, but still tastes great for as long as you are likely to hold on to it.

9. When its n my mouth!

10. nuckbuc

nuckbuc Savant (265) New York Dec 28, 2010

Had same same batch as OP. Had it 2nd day after canned, thought it was awesome as always with a very slight dullness. Had a can today and it was absolutely amazing. Prior can was drank with several other great IPA's so maybe that's why. I don't know. It's heady. It's amazing. Just drink it.

11. nuckbuc

nuckbuc Savant (265) New York Dec 28, 2010

Please send me all your 5 day old Heady. Wouldn't want you to suck down a non quality beer.

DanH83 and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
  12. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I would not, could not, drink it over a month old. Well maybe.

13. RayUF07

RayUF07 Advocate (625) Florida Sep 22, 2012

2 days before it is canned.

14. I had Heady on tap at the brewery as fresh as possible and it didn't taste too much different to me than it does out of the can after a few weeks. Maybe cause to me the beer is just so much of an in-your-face hop taste that it didn't fade in my opinion, but it's a great DIPA either way.

15. I haven't had it in a enough different stages to comment, but I know from experience that Pliny is best in the 3-4 week range. And those of you who are counting time in the bright tanks; that is just stupid. Most people are referring to time after bottling or canning, which is when it is available for purchase and consumption.:)

16. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

all i know is dont have heady after ephraim, it will ruin heady for u

iguenard likes this.
  17. Got the privilege to have one right from the canning line. Opened it 45 min later after it rested in an ice bucket.
    Pretty much the best way to have it.

But also living in Cali and not having that privilege all the time, I don't get picky. So send me some and I'll reply

18. The sooner the better.

19. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (355) Italy Apr 19, 2009

would you, could, at three weeks? Would you, could you, at ten days?
    you may like it, you will see
    you may like it, at four weeks

Dracarys and bennetj17 like this.
  20. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Are you serious?

21. It's at it's peak when I'm drinking it. Prefferably more than 1.

I'm not nearly "developed" enough to truly judge a subtle difference in taste based on age. I'll take it whenever I can get it.

22. chefduff2

chefduff2 Savant (355) Pennsylvania Feb 17, 2008

I'll let you guys know as I get through my stash, but the strange part was I actually liked the can of it better then the sample I got right off the tap at the brewery. The guys working the line there are super friendly.

23. I've had it anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks. It tastes okay at each time. Definitely big and hoppy, but I think this beer is so highly rated more for the hype and the limited distribution, rather than the taste.

24. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Oh I think Heady is delicious. I just get so tired of IPA freshness threads, this IPA VS. that IPA threads, and whatever lame duck excuse people can cook up to never shut up about IPAs.

jdamaso84 likes this.
  25. Hops are the most overrated thing regularly discussed in the craft beer community. To me, the best breweries (Cantillon, Fantome, New Glarus, Element, Night Shift) are the ones that manage to brew unique and interesting beers without relying so heavily on hops.

Sorry if that offends anyone.

YogiBeer likes this.
  26. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Hour 23 for sure.

27. I just had my first 3 cans of heady and poured a full can of heady in the glass, below pic, and got zero floaties. I was under the impression all heady had floaties?

[​IMG]

28. There was a discussion in the past, and I believe his 10 weeks comment includes the brewing time, so it's really something like 3 weeks after canning.

IMO it's ready to go right out of the gates, and like most every IPA, falls off a noticeable amount after a month or so. Heady is still very drinkable at 2-3 months, but after that it has lost what makes it so wonderful. Still drinkable, but not world class anymore. Consume fresh!

29. BeerBucks

BeerBucks Savant (490) New York Feb 18, 2012

A lady at the brewery told me its best consumed between weeks 3-12 from canning. The fresher the better for me. I like to drink the tasters at the brewery and I always drink two out of the can the night I pick any up. There is a slight change after about 3 weeks, then a big drop off after 8 weeks, imo. The change is not a bad thing at all. I suggest everyone picks them up in 12s and drinks two every week for 6 weeks to see how it evolves, then you can determine what you like best.

30. Thanks for the forum on this question. I agree that Heady loses it "best quality" even after a week.

My experience: great in the brewery. I drove to my hotel, put it in the fridge- great after 2 days.

Drove home, the beer was not in the fridge for 7 hours. I tasted it the next night- not as good. The piquancy is gone- but it's still the same Heady.

It's unfiltered and not pasteurized. That is probably key to its not lasting long.

I have 5 cans in the fridge.

John Kimmich says that it can be aged for a year. So it does last.

31. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

couldn't disagree more.

32. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

The second that primary fermentation ends, obviously.

33. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (595) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

Absolutely, Ive been drinking and serving it for years. It's ok to have different opinions, thats the great thing about this site. I'm just repoting on the feedback and experience from all the customers i deal with.

34. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Speaking of Heady, is it only available at The Alchemist? If not, how often is it found fresh in bottle shops in Vermont?

35. Within the first 6-8 weeks...why and how it lasted that long I'll never know but it still tasted great.

36. Catchy_Name

Is this what the hop freshness debate has degraded to? Are we to believe that within a week this world class beer is a shell of its former self? Or that you can actually tell the difference in this beer hour by hour?

37. Good point:) In the video, John states that his months old can of Heady is very good. Who knows? Maybe we are expecting the first "rush" we experience from this beer. The balance doesn't go away. Perhaps the intense pine may wane.
    One of the reasons we are so temperamental about this beer is because it's difficult to get- and once we purchase it, we notice delicate change.

38. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Heady peaks at 18 hours and 47 minutes after it was canned. The window of maximum awesomeness only lasts 8 minutes and you absolutely must drink it straight from the can. If you missed the window of maximum awesomeness it's a drain pour.

rather likes this.
  39. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

I was drink ephraim last night and kept thinking "man this reminds me of heady" so I cracked a heady and did a side by side. Ephraim beat it on every level, guess its more tuned to my taste and palate than heady is. Saw this thread while I was sippin on both.
    Ephraim needs to get bottled!

40. Catchy_Name

Could just be your head messing with you. I'm sure you're aware of the correlation between a beer's difficulty to acquire and how it's perceived by the human palate.