1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

When, in your opinion, is Heady at its peak?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mark14580, Jun 7, 2013.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I am offended.

Haha, JK.

Take a look at the top beer list and you will see yours is a minority opinion. I agree, though, that Berliner Weisse is the summer style of the future, and I plan to master that style this summer.

But for now IPA rules, and American Hops are the fuels that drive those babies, so they are hardly overrated, they are rated perfectly.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha I know, beer tasting has come to the point that wine connoisseurs joke about. You know, a man asking if the vineyard that grew the grapes was bordered by pine trees, because he could taste the pine in the wine.

That said, I am a homebrewer who brews 20+ batches of IPA a year, my favorite style, and I can tell you that the aroma of dry hopping starts to decrease the instant it comes out of the fermentor. There is nothing like the aroma when I draw the completed beer to bottle it, it is stronger and more delicious smelling than it is a day later, a week later, and in a month the aroma has subsided so much it almost is a different smell. We are trying to make this less so with newer techniques, such as half hour 147 degree hop stands, but I think it is the nature of aroma that it degrades quickly no matter what we try to do
  3. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Unfortunately I was only able to procure 8 of them. I drank my first 6 within a week or so after getting them, gave the seventh to a friend to try, and decided I would save the eighth for a special day - which wound up being Memorial Day while I was grilling. I really need to get more. Definitely one of my favorites.
  4. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Once their distro becomes a little more wide spread. I hope once I do have one it lives up to all the hand wringing & pantie wetting excitement going on out there...sheeesh talk about the east coast's version of Pliney:rolleyes:
  5. i like it super super fresh, like within a week. however, id rather have a 2 or 3 month old heady than some other fresh IPAs
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Malts are the easiest to play with, hops are the second easiest and most noticable. And let's face it, new malts aren't being found in the wild seemingly every year...
  7. The moment you pop the can!
  8. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

When it shows up at my house, i'd say its about 2 hours in the fridge from being perfect!
  9. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

I've noticed my double IPAs I brew are best at about 8 weeks after brew day. By that time, the heat of the booze does out, the green character is scrubbed out by the yeast and the hops come more into balance with the malt sweetness.
  10. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

The one I had last night was amazing. Definitely better than the one a week ago. Got more pine and dankness. Last week I was getting mostly citrus and peach. Now I'm getting everything and it is perfection.
  11. BobConner

BobConner Aficionado (130) New York Jun 12, 2013

There is something to be said for grabbing any IPA (as well as several other styles) fresh off the line...and this is a world class IPA...but to suggest that a properly canned beer begins to noticeably lose something after just 3 or 5 days is silly. Most folks dont get near this beer until a couple/few weeks after its canned, if they are lucky. Ive enjoyed Heady first day...at around a month...and up to a few months out of the gate. Its a good bit of time before the flavor profile begins to discernibly fall off...and thats not to say its bad....just mildly different...and in a way that is barely detectable to most palates. I cant speak beyond that, as I do not think an IPA is a style that should be "aged" (adding the caveat that I have enjoyed Southern Tiers Oaked Unearthly and Dogfish's Burton Baton)...perhaps at some point I will test the Heady waters further out, but for now, as with any IPA frankly, given the option to have one more than a few months out, I would seek available alternatives as a matter of course.
  12. AleFredO

AleFredO Zealot (95) New York Aug 13, 2011

It's also Conan and it's fruity nature.
  13. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Was it me? This beer was maybe a month old so definitely not aged but certainly looks gross.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    YogiBeer likes this.
  14. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

It is best on tap at the brewery. I enjoyed every burp on my drive from Alchemist to HF.

I kept some for 3.5 months, and it still is better than most!!
    jayneo74 likes this.
  15. Every man loves Heady ;)
  16. 2-3 weeks for me.
  17. Id say about 10 minutes after I get it out of the box from whomever shipped it to me, granted, 2 of those minutes are me shredding the box, and the other 8 are me impatiently waiting for the wet paper towel method to work its magic.

If I had one shipped in dry ice, I'd say 1.5 minutes... cause the prize inside would make me move 3o seconds faster.
  18. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

Heady is at its peak between 4 and 12 minutes after canning. A minute later and you might as well pour in down the drain.
  19. Immediately before it goes into the can.
    DelMontiac likes this.
  20. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Just before it hits the can.