1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

When To Add A Yeast Nutrient

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Keyman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Keyman

Keyman Disciple (55) Dec 4, 2012

I am planning to pressure can a small batch of wort (2 gallons) for yeast starters. I will mash it to about 1.037 to 1.040. My question is, does anyone know if I could put the yeast nutrient in each quart jar before I can it? The canning temperature will be around 250 degrees. Will that high temp hurt the nutrient or should I wait on the nutrient until brew day?

2. Shouldn't matter...I usually add it to the wort with 5 minutes left in the boil.

Any special reason why you are canning wort for starters? ...I know you are malting

Starters are easy and are usually made the day BEFORE brewday.

3. Keyman

I will have 7 to 10 quarts on hand. When I need to make a yeast starter I just open the quart and pour it into my growler along with the yeast. I figure this process is more sterile and you don’t have to wait for the starter to cool, etc. Also it is just one less process that I have to do. Also I make a very low cost malt about 40 cents per pound.

4. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I dont think there's anything wrong with making a starter the day before brewing, but that's more like krausening. You'll be adding fermenting beer to you wort.

5. Keyman

I guess I am confused here. If you take a DME mix of 1/2 cup to approx 1 quart water to get 1.040 SG this is a starter. I am replacing the DME with a plain wort of 1.037 to 1.040 that has been canned. How is that like Krausening?

6. I vote you save the nutrient for brew day and just add it as directed 10 minutes before knockout or whatever your particular nutrient company reccomends. I too have been thinking about canning starter wort as it would definitely be a time saver.

7. Keyman

Ya, I guess I will add it when I make the starter instead of putting it in the canned wort. Thanks

8. I have never found it necesary to put nutrient into a starter rather I just add it to my main beer with 10 minutes left in the boil per the wyeast instructions.

9. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

You're not boiling your wort to sanitize it at any point?

10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

http://byo.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/41-lagering/970-kraeusening-techniques
    Krausening beer is after you hit FG, not OG ;)

The way I see it, a starter's a starter. It can be actively fermenting when it goes in the wort, or you can let it finish out, which sounds like that's what you do. I'd see an argument for either side.

11. Keyman

Yes I am, when I pressure can the wort it is heated under pressure at 250 degrees for 15 minutes this removes all bacteria of any sort. After it cools the jars are sealed and kept until I need them to make a starter.

12. Keyman

Agreed, A starter is made to get the wort started and provide healthy fermantation and a krausening is something you add later to give the wort that extra kick as I see it. The two seem almost close.

13. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Aside from adding the nutrient to the boil, my process disagrees with everything your starters stand for.

OP, I would add the nutrient at the same time you are making the wort. Then can it. I would can my
    starter wort too if I had the equipment.

14. "...everything your starters stand for."

Tell me what my starters stand for then...I haven't a clue what you are talking about

15. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Sorry, The quote come through when I hit reply (android browser). I wasn't replying to the original post. I was replying GreenKrusty saying, "Starters are easy and are usually made the day BEFORE brewday."

My point was to gently suggest that a proper starter isnt made the day before brew day. Dong so is more like Krausening, because you are adding actively fermenting beer, not a calculated quantity of propogated yeast. For a low gravity beer its going to work okay. It would be a poor technique for a higher gravity beer for obvious reasons.

16. yinzer

yinzer Savant (395) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I can wort and add it to my propagation starter when I start to brew. Its been suggested by many good brewers and it makes a lot of sense. Sometimes it's hard to prove positive results, but I've had no negatives.

But I don't add any nutrients to this. I made a spreadsheet to figure out how many grams to add for such a small volume, and it's just grains. So I add it (nutrients) to my boil.