1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

When trading beer what are some really sought after Tx beers?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, May 3, 2012.

1. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

I know Jester King gets asked for but what are some other ones that people really like we get here (houston) that other states don't get? I know you can just check distro chart, but are there any I take advantage of that other people really want?
  2. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

I've gotten solid trades from
    Boulevard: BBQ, Saison-Brett, Rye-on-Rye.
    Saint Arnold: Endeavour (when it was fresh), Pumpkinator
    Deschutes: The Abyss, Black Butte XXIII, Hop Henge
    New Belgium: La Folie, Cocoa Mole, (I bet Tart Lychee will trade pretty good too)

Obvously some of these are not on shelves any more.
  3. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Member

I'll second Deschutes, New Belgium and Boulevard. A lot of East Coast BAs are on the lookout for these
  4. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

I didn't even realize that Hop Henge is sought after that is in the fridge always. These are the ones I was talking about being taken granted for as a daily.
  5. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Depends on who you are trading with. I've had success sending Modus Hoperandi to Cali. Deschutes doesn't make it to the east coast. Real Ale and Southern Star always make good throw ins. Live Oak or 512 growlers. Karbach is locally available to you. Unless you are whale hunting there is always trade bait on the shelves.
  6. kspongeworthy

kspongeworthy Member

All those aforementioned brews SHOULD get you some good stuff not available here. Unfortunately you will have to be tenacious and patient because not many people will bite on those offers if you post them on the ISO:FT boards before they get buried. Especially now with all the Dark Lord madness. Keep your ear on the ground for upcoming limited releases like Saint Arnold DR 12 and whatever limited Jester King bottles pop up in the future. Best bet is to just move to California or Illinois though. ;)
    Grendle likes this.
  7. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

LMAO, I always get the JK and DR but it was tough to decide weather to drink 512 PPBA or trade it, (ended up trading second one for HT
  8. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa Member

Freetail always trades well. Limited Jester King releases can also land some very nice beers. Be patient and specific in what you are looking for and your trade success will increase (in my experience, anyway).
    ThirstyHerf likes this.
  9. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Freetail, Jester King, Live Oak and (512) growlers would be the locals best to offer up.
    East Coast doesn't get Deschutes, New Belgium, or Boulevard. Cali doesn't get Boulevard. Boulevard smokestack series costs enough to land some good stuff.
    For a beginner in trading, I recommend posting for a locals trade before hunting big beers. It is so easy to get sucked into the ISO:FT Whale Hunt, and it can often be very disappointing and lead to your locals being taken for granted.
  10. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

Ok so next question is how long will a growler last sealed?
  11. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Depends on style, storage, carbonation, if you have opened it. I have had varying results, but I always recommend to drink them as fresh as possible. I try to make sure I ship growlers within 24 hours of a fill.
  12. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

I think that question would best be asked with a particular beer filled in the blank.
  13. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Hell, I've known guys that have aged beer in growlers. Swing tops have one hell of a seal on them generally.
    icetrauma likes this.
  14. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

A growler of Live Oak Old Treehugger could land some serious bottles for the right person. If I had access to that it would be a great growler to trade. Sealed growlers stay fresh and carbonated for about two weeks safely. I usually ship out growlers no earlier than the day before I ship. Try to ship growlers on Monday or Tuesday so the trader will get it before the weekend.
  15. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

Does the style of growler matter? I've seen some that have the cork metal flip lid thing, and others have the screw top.
  16. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Necromancer.....
    nate8767, htomsirveaux and FUNKPhD like this.
  17. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

So if you get an IPA in growler or even better Karbach Barrel aged Hellfighter (heaven in a growler) (my english friend said that growler means harry puss btw) I can ship on monday and it doesn't matter screwtop or flip top?
  18. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Member

Barrel Aged La Muerta
  19. RandomName7

RandomName7 Member

No... not really. At least not unless they release another batch. From what I've heard the original is pretty badly infected now.
  20. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Member

How about Batch 1 (512) Whiskey Barreled aged Double Pecan Porter?
  21. Frozenmoses

Frozenmoses Member

I think all TX traders need to send Karbach as extras. They're not even a full year into production and are putting out some awesome shit. BB hell fighter was their first limited release, and when people outside TX start seeing how good their product is, we will have some good ammo on our hands.
    pawpaw, air, icetrauma and 1 other person like this.
  22. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

Had some (512) IPA on draft last night for $2.75 pints (crazzzzy good as always). I imagine a growler of that would be awesome to send out. Otherwise you gotta be very regionally selective (for example trading a few Avery Demon's to Vermont for Heady) as others have suggested. www.seekabrew.com has a great state to state comparison feature to aid you. Once you find someone cool to trade with, hook them the heck up with our best. I imagine it's much easier to land a Dark Lord if you already have a regular trading partner for Zombie Dust.

I've personally just worked out a couple Paypal friends and family members in other markets to send me things. The extra we save by only shipping 1 direction more than offsets the extra fees in those transactions.
  23. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

Already been extraing all of their cans like mad. Rodeo clown and Weisse-versa mostly. I had a growler of BB Hellfighter but that stuff was all mine!
  24. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

From my experience, swing tops pressurize better, but you can use whichever you like. Screw tops are easier to tape up for shipment.
  25. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Well not enough wild ales are brewed in Tx.
    ehsteve and poonamibaxter like this.
  26. Erik

Erik Member

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen Freetail brews in Houston. Anyone know a place that carries them?
  27. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Freetail is only available at the brewpub in San Antonio.
  28. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Yep. Didn't have the cash to expand to Houston. Damn!
  29. pawpaw

pawpaw Member

This x1000.
    Karbach is going to blow up majorly in the next year or so.
    Their first anniversary beer is going to be the kickoff for seasonal bombers. Once we have an arsenal of Hellfighter, Pontificator, Black IPA, etc. in 22oz bottles, I think the trade value of Karbach is going to skyrocket and it's fantastic that at least for the remainder of 2012, they aren't expanding outside of Houston.
    So moral of the story: get the word out there. Throw in a Rodeo Clown or any other Karbach as an extra with every trade!
  30. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

M
    My only problem with that is I don't think Rodeo Clown is a big deal. Hopidillo, for sure Hellfighter in the bourbon barrels one of the best I have ever tried, but rodeo clown was a let down for me. All of the others I put in for sure
  31. pawpaw

pawpaw Member

I couldn't agree more. I think throwing it in is nice simply because of the current circle jerk around local double IPAs.
    The main issue with Rodeo Clown is that it's marketed as a double IPA, when it's not. If everyone went into Rodeo Clown thinking of it as a barley wine, I think a lot of people would be happier.

They explain the brewing process for Rodeo during the tours and apparently after fermentation it's so boozy that they let it sit for (I think he said six weeks?) before canning--dry hopping it the entire time. I'm no brewer (and maybe someone can shed some light on the subject), but I feel this sitting and cooling off may contribute at least marginally to the outcome of the beer being more barley wine and less double IPA.
  32. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

I would love it more boozy for sure
  33. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

Had a sour wine aged one last night if I remember right it was crazy
  34. RandomName7

RandomName7 Member

You mean ananke?
  35. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

Yeah, I normally hate sours, but it was like eating a pino sour patch kid
  36. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

There are many poorly executed sours out there, the right ones are to die for! I used to hate them as well until I had some really amazing ones!