Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

When will Ballast Point be available in A-town and Houston?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by corbey, May 4, 2012.

1. corbey

corbey Aficionado (170) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Has any one heard?

I was in Dallas about a month ago and tried the Sculpin and Big Eye. Now I would really like to get some more, without having to drive up to Dallas. Thanks.

2. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Advocate (520) Texas Oct 15, 2011 Verified

They can drink up all the old stuff first. Once they get some fresh shipments it should come this way. (fingers crossed!)

dumptruck81 likes this.
  3. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Aficionado (140) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hello. Unfortunately for the rest of Texas, it looks like Ballast Point will only be in Dallas this year. Check Ballast Point's Facebook. They were in Dallas last week and mentioned that it wil be only here at least for the remainder of the year or close to it. Check their Facebook page, the post on April 26th. Then read all the comments. They mention it's Dallas only, and it looks like it's for a while.

https://www.facebook.com/BallastPoint

In the meantime, I'd be happy to help people out by sending stuff. Let me know.

4. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Advocate (520) Texas Oct 15, 2011 Verified

And when I say should I mean it would be great if it came to other markets not that I have any clue when it actually will!

5. corbey

And I'll be happy to help them drink up the "old stuff!" ;)

6. corbey

Thanks for the info and the FB link. Sounds like the rest of Texas will just have to do without for a while longer.

7. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Dallas isn't far enough away to "Do without" sounds like its time for a Sat drive.

8. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (355) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011 Verified

I heard that it has to do with something along the lines of distributor/brewery relationship and exclusivity guaranteed to Dallas at least for the time being based on said relationship.

9. pencotron

pencotron Aspirant (35) Texas May 18, 2012

What stores is Ballast Point available in Dallas? I may have to make a drive up there but would like to avoid driving around without a plan.

10. wsnich

wsnich Savant (420) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I wouldn't be opposed to driving to Dallas from Houston if they had victory at sea.

11. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (440) Texas Dec 28, 2011 Verified

If that's the case(which wouldn't surprise me)... that's really lame

12. videofrog

videofrog Advocate (540) Texas Nov 13, 2010 Verified Subscriber

Dallas proper or entire Metroplex? Sorry, no access to FB at work.

13. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Aficionado (140) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hello. It's available in the whole area, not just Dallas.

14. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Savant (260) Texas Oct 18, 2006 Verified

Almost all of the Ballast Point brews have been out of stock here the last few weeks. I don't know how they will be reaching austin or houston any time soon at all!

Rick

15. SpecsBEERMAN

SpecsBEERMAN Aficionado (180) Texas Jun 25, 2007

I just got pricing for these items for Andrews Corpus Christi, all Ballast Point items except Sculpin. If the distributor is experiencing out of stocks in Dallas, hopefully they wouldnt expand the brand further. Dallas should definitely be a priority over CC.

16. PaleMalt

PaleMalt Zealot (85) May 14, 2012

I have been able to find BigEye at Tom Thumb 9.49 a six and this place called Hall's Grocery Store in Colleyville has Sculpin,PaleAle,Amber, BigEye but they are very high on Prices. I believe there sculpin was 15+ for a six and i did not buy it found it cheaper some were else. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4183/?view=beerfly&ba=allengarvin

17. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I emailed their head of distribution for an update on Austin. There might've been one or two white lies in there. Will update if I get a response. :D
    What? Sacrifices have to be made, people! ;)

18. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poobah (1,045) Texas Jun 14, 2012 Verified Subscriber

In Dallas, Total Wine & More, Spec's, CM, and WFM all seem to have plenty of Ballast Point for those who may be thinking about making a drive.

19. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (345) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Any idea how widely distributed it is in Corpus? Any chance their distribution makes it out to Port Aransas? I figure it's unlikely, but worth asking about since I'll be down there in a month. Thanks.

20. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 10, 2012

The Spec's in Corpus is not very far from Port A. Worth the drive, the Ballast Point stuff is good. Although, I didn't see the best they make: Sculpin...

21. Lutter

Sculpin isnt in Corpus, IIRC. Liquid Town on Alameda always has Big Eye IPA though.

22. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I commented on one of their FB posts a while back about Austin's annoyance over the Dallas only distro and they actually responded. The reason I was given for not expanding to Austin and the rest of Texas was issues with production...they simply can't make enough beer right now. I guess it's good that they are aware that Austin is eagerly awaiting their arrival but there was no time frame given. Hoping for sooner than later obviously...

23. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (520) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

Literally it's everywhere. Amazing distro around town, grocery stores even. FW Saucer keeps Sculpin and a rotator on draft pretty much every week. Big Specs and Total Wine should have the full stock of their beers and some bombers all the time. Really you should have any trouble, but I'd suggest the volume retailers since Scuplins price is deserving of its 'fresh' potential and lower volume retailers might be sitting on older stock. BM me if you need any other scopes for beer, I try to make a big loop every couple weeks and plenty of Dallas BA's do the same

24. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (315) Texas Dec 2, 2006 Verified

According to a response on facebook, they're shooting for an Austin rollout in October.

25. Lutter

Just saw that, yaaay!

The picture they posted for their Birmingham distro was interesting as well... 1 full palate of Sculpin and 1 full palate of EVERYTHING ELSE. Shows how big of a seller Sculpin is over, well, everything else they make!

26. bbadger

bbadger Savant (385) Texas May 20, 2011

Alright. It is almost October. I'm really hoping Austin (and SATX!) will have ballast point soon. I'm going through sculpin withdrawal. It's been over a month since my last sculpin.

27. corbey

I'm hoping too, but I'll believe it when I have some Sculpin chilling in my fridge again.

28. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

The question for you lucky few is will it be fresh?

29. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Savant (280) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Who is their distributer?

30. hammondc

hammondc Aficionado (150) Texas Mar 15, 2008

Any idea who in Corpus has Sculpin or Big Eye? I am going through tomorrow.

31. Lutter

Go to Liquid Town on Alameda... they seem to always have Big Eye IPA in stock. Sculpin doesn't make it to Corpus.

32. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (390) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Specs, HEB Plus, and Liquid Town carry Ballast Point. Haven't seen Sculpin locally, but I haven't looked in weeks. As always check bottle dates.

33. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (720) Texas Jul 14, 2009 Verified Subscriber

Its Corpus so they probably got the stuff that was sitting in the warehouse :p

34. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (390) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Fine by me. IPAs and pale ales interest me about as much as jl28r1's human hair collection. Or pwsoldier at a comedy club's open mic night.

35. hammondc

hammondc Aficionado (150) Texas Mar 15, 2008

ANy clue if anyone in Victoria has it? It is close to Corpus. I'll be there all day tomorrow. Not many options there, so I may just have to shop around a couple places.

36. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (425) Texas Jan 20, 2010 Verified

Saw Big Eye in Rockport if that helps at all