1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

When will Summit brew a DIPA?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Hop-Droppen-Roll, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Member

Summit's got one of the most impressive and underappreciated style portfolios around, IMHO - they're not afraid to push it with some less-common old fashioned styles - that being said, I know they're trying to break into some of the trends in craft - cans are finally on their way, but they're not pounders! They're clearly in on the IPA thing, as evidenced by the Horizon Red name change - but where the heck is their DIPA?? You KNOW it's going to kick ass when it drops, but they don't even seem to have one in the works! Anyone else given any thought to this?
  2. MNMike

MNMike Member

it'll be called SuperSaga
    Atoneworks and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Member

Like this one? Oh, I forgot, that wasn't really a DIPA and wasn't even 10%... maybe they're just playing coy?
  4. MCImes

MCImes Member

Not soon enough IMO. I just discovered Im a big fan of their Rye that was just released. I didnt know how much I like rye beer. Good thing I can get it in a cheap 12 pack!

If it follows their trend it should be a kick ass DIPA 12 pack for ~$17? sounds like a winner to me! Summit has been kicking ass lately. (kicking ass in general, but more so lately)
    KarlHungus and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  5. McRyan

McRyan Member

Do they have a new sample 12 pack with the new packaging? If so what are the beers?
  6. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Member

Perfect. Saga Genesis would also be acceptable.
  7. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Member

I'm super excited to try Frost Line. I haven't had a rye beer to date, and wish very much that SN Ruthless came in a 6er so I could try that one and Frost Line together. I'll likely end up getting a 12 of each.
  8. MCImes

MCImes Member

I like frostline much more than ruthless. There's nothing wrong with ruthless, it just doesnt flip my cookie like Frostline.

And LOL at Saga Genesis. That would be a Fing awesome name

@McRyan I think they do have a new sampler (like 90% sure), though I dont remember whats in it. I believe the Rye is.
  9. BrettHead

BrettHead Member

o_O It does come in 6-packs. cheers.
    Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  10. TooGood

TooGood Member

They need to start bottling their Oatmeal Stout first! That is one awesome beer, but hard to find as it is on tap only.
  11. Humulus85

Humulus85 Member

The spring sampler has the new packaging. It includes EPA, Porter, True Brit IPA (renamed and slightly tweaked original Summit IPA), and Maibock.
    McRyan likes this.
  12. I was disappointed the rye didn't come in the sampler.

The sampler pack is also a deceptively similar color to the Frost Line 12pks and while in a hurry I accidentally purchased one when I was intending to get the rye. Didn't realize til I got home and had opened the box. Oh well, I love their porter and maibock (EPA and IPA are solid too), so I wasn't too sad...
  13. McRyan

McRyan Member

This isn't the True Brit recipe that won a medal at GABF?
  14. summitbeer

summitbeer Member

'Sup!

Re: A Summitfied DIPA. There is no hard-and-fast plan to have a DIPA brewed, but between the Unchained Series, Union Series and new packaging options - there's plenty of room for one. Plus, Damo and the Brew Crew have been brewing with a lot of new experimental hops from HBC and HopSteiner. So..... cross your fingers. Union #4?

Re: True Brit IPA recipe. It is basically the same recipe that won a medal at GABF. It's been tweaked a small bit removing the Special B from the malt bill and bumping up some of the hops (more Fuggles, yo!). The end result of those moves is a slightly lighter-colored and -bodied beer with an even nicer hop character. We are also now polish filtering the beer for a much more brilliant end-product.

Spring Samplers are a great way to get your Maibock before full 6- and 12-pack (and draught) release of it later in the spring. It looks like this here:[​IMG]

Also be on the look out for Unchained 15: Fest Bier, a low-ish alcohol springtime take on a Märzen Style beer brewed in late December by Nate Siats and now nearing the end of its eight-week lagering.
    KarlHungus, Pug, McRyan and 3 others like this.
  15. Baudette

Baudette Member

I'd like to see them brew a dopplebock.
  16. summitbeer

summitbeer Member

Eric Harper brewed a Doppelbock on the Pilot System. It will be on tap this Saturday 2/22/14 from 4-9pm as part of our Summit / Stegman's Old Boys FC Polar Plunge fundraiser. 50% of ALL beer sales go toward out Plunge for the Special Olympics MN. Please spread the word. More details of the beer here:
    Pug likes this.
  17. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Member

Thanks for addressing our questions! Big fan and proud supporter here - wearing a Summit shirt as we type.
    BrettHead and summitbeer like this.
  18. MCImes

MCImes Member

A one off batch wont cut it! we want a semi regular DIPA from you! (seasonal or something with more than 1 batch please. your extra tasty union stout sold out right away! I think we all want more of that too)

Very cool that its on your mind though. We all look forward to it when it comes. Thanks for chiming in
    summitbeer and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  19. Baudette

Baudette Member

No mention of bottles.
    tap only? or did I miss it in the video?
  20. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Member

So, if they brewed a triple-IPA, would it be called Saga CD (and be a relative flop)?
  21. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Member

Ya know.... I'm a huge SN Torpedo fan. But, I have to say Saga is just as good if not better. A DIPA from Summitt would be Most Welcome.
  22. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Member

I think you're looking for Saga Dreamcast for the flop.
    Rob-P and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  23. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Member

That, too!
  24. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Member

I'd like to see a T.V. ad for Sage Genesis - SAGA!!!
  25. BrettHead

BrettHead Member

Nah, it would be the Sega 32X :D
    Ungertaker likes this.
  26. summitbeer

summitbeer Member

Beer Hall Exclusives are/will be only available on draught at the Summit Beer Hall. And there's a bunch of them in the works for 2014.
  27. opwog

opwog Member

Saga On The Loose DIPA

evilgenius1917 likes this.