Where can I get a yard of ale in SW Connecticut?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Zodijackyl, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Mostly for novelty, but I'd like to have a yard of ale, a good ESB, EPA, or real ale would be a bonus. Is there anywhere that serves in a big old yard glass between the NY border and New Haven area, or as far north as Danbury/Waterbury?

audioserf likes this.
  2. I'm fairly positive serving yards isn't allowed under CT liquor law.

Knifestyles and youbrewidrink like this.
  3. I was going to say Richter's in New Haven, but see from the previous poster it is not closed. That's a bummer, spent many nights in my college years in the late 70's, and they had full yards back then. And by the way, drinking yards requires a fine tipping point! Makes the difference between drinking or wearing your beer!

There are no Yard Houses in CT, but as opposed to their name, they only serve half yards. Looks like the closet to you would be in Yonkers NY.

4. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Oh Richter's....Wasn't surprised when they closed down.W/Prime 16 right down the street,it was just a matter of time.Didn't seem to interested in craft beer,seeee ya!

Cheers

5. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Perhaps, but there are plenty of bars around that area of New Haven that don't specifically cater to the craft beer community yet still remain open to this very day.

New Haven (and the Yale area, specifically) has a deep history of tradition and Richter's was just one of many bars that was part of this history. What made Richter's unique was its English-style pub atmosphere (i.e. the yards, particular beers, food, etc) which is totally in Yale's wheelhouse when it comes to drinking establishments.

I doubt that Prime 16 was responsible for pushing them out. It's likely that rent had jumped considerably over the years. Hell, scope out what kind of establishments are there now (Ann Taylor, TD Bank, etc)...it's obvious that no bar would've survived that sort of transformation.

6. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Yeah,I hear you.Rent did actually have something to do w/ it, but I can tell you that Richter's was consistently kind of empty for a while before and after prime.I used to go there all the time.When I asked them about bringing in some craft,I was told they were gonna stick to what they were doing for years.I def. did not mean prime and prime only put them outta business.I just wasn't surprised to see them go.I'd leave prime packed and stuffed to the gills only to drive by richter's to see the place almost empty.And for what its worth,prime is supported very well by Yale students,and are no strangers to Prime.