Where do you drink in the 'burbs

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by fastenoughforphish, Jan 16, 2013.

1. What places have you found in the suburbs (Chicago) that have great beers. I found myself at Lunar Brewpub in Villa Park a lot. Definitely for an older crowd than me but I like their beers and they have a good and big menu with two chalk boards of new beers they get in as well. Love bring my friends here and playing darts for hours.

How about you guys?

Oh, and I know I am going to get a lot of responses saying "my home" so now it's not funny anymore.

2. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (325) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

My home.

(I dunno, it still seemed kinda funny to me)

3. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (325) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

4. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (660) Illinois Jan 7, 2011 Verified

Ballydoyles in Aurora. Trivia every Tuesday along with half price drafts at that time. Usually something cool on tap (FW XVI last time I was there) its a good time. Nothing mind blowing but I enjoy it

Cheers!

5. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Savant (260) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Bavarian Lodge, Bigby's Pour House, Durty Nellies, Blues Bar (just because it's 1 block from my house).

evoljetta, geimerman and foobula like this.
  6. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (605) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Tribes
    -- Pasta

7. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (365) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Agree with everything Pschul said about Ballydoyle in Aurora. Usually a decent draft list but nothing too crazy. They even have Daisy Cutter cans most of the time as well. Other places for me include:

-Taphouse in Oswego and/or Plainfield
    -Bavarian Lodge in Lisle
    -Solemn Oath Taproom in Naperville

Prolly forgetting a couple others but those are the ones I frequent most.

PDZ and pschul4 like this.
  8. Haven't made it out to Solemn Oath Taproom, I know they aren't open too late. My girl gave up drinking for her new years resolution and my brother works late in the city, and all my friends have moved to the city = beer drinking buddy problems.

9. mdomask

mdomask Savant (370) Illinois May 27, 2012

+1 on Bavarian lodge.

Also, Firkin in Libertyville and (surprisingly) the Vernon Hills Whirlyball.

10. WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper Savant (265) Illinois Jun 17, 2007

When I lived in the burbs, Bavarian Lodge or Durtie Nellies, or even any Buffalo Wild Wings (good bottle selection usually.)

Now I'm in the sticks of Lake County. Uncle Mike's Highway Pub in Kenosha.

forrestbetts and foobula like this.
  11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (735) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Used to go to Barley House (RIP) quite a bit, but now I rarely go out. If I do its to Dukes in Crystal Lake. I heard there is a new place in Barrington next to McGonagals

willseph likes this.
  12. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (485) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I'm in Evanston, and I've been going to Prairie Moon lately. Great list of draft beers: last Thursday they had Central Waters BBS, Firestone Walker XVI and GI Baudoinia all flowing.

davey and IPx like this.
  13. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

what area are you looking in? the burbs cover a lot of ground.

14. crossovert

crossovert Champion (810) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Firkin, Uncle Mikes.

foobula likes this.
  15. Redrover

Redrover Champion (810) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

If you are already in Villa Park, hop on over the border to Elmhurst. You can go to Pints, Flight 112, and Tannins.

A new place is HB Jones at York and Valet. They have about 16 taps and a larger bottle list. Saga IPA for only $3.50 and most drafts $6 or under. Great wide ranging menu & very good food. I’m going to give it a few more visits and then will add it to Beer Fly.

16. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (665) Colorado Apr 15, 2011 Verified

Tribes Tinley Park

17. Just wondering where cool fun places to drink beer are. And redrover, definitely will check out those places. I just found a BCBCS in Elmhurst on Friday.

18. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (245) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Anything around St Charles/West Chicago area? Here for work.

19. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Advocate (640) Illinois Feb 27, 2009 Verified

Geneva Ale House, Niche (G)-a little upscale but of the 4 or so taps they have they have had bcbs there many times, Wild Monk (STC), Tap House Grille (STC), Don't think there is really anything in West Chicago.

EDIT: oh yeah, and ^ that place

PHBoiler likes this.
  20. je1129

Thanks guys!

21. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (335) Illinois May 5, 2008

"When I used to go out, I would know everyone that I saw
    Now I go out alone if I go out at all...."

Tap House Westmont and Brixie's get most of my draft beer money out in the 605. Also occasional trips to Solemn Oath and 2Bros. Need to take advantage of my relative proximity to Bavarian Lodge more....

22. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

What about on Fridays and Saturdays, when the place is unbearably bro dude.

oN3xM likes this.
  23. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

yeah i get that, but what area? i could recommend places, but it won't help if they're too far from you. i'm guessing lombard/elmhurst area. some have already been listed above like tap house grill, bavarian and brixie's. you can also try going to ram in rosemont or rock bottom in lombard. there's another wild monk location in lagrange.

24. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (665) Colorado Apr 15, 2011 Verified

FTFY. Also, to answer your question, no. Only on occasional week nights.

25. da_bulls

da_bulls Savant (260) Illinois Jun 7, 2012 Verified

I live near Lunar and go there a lot due to the proximity, OP you've probably seen a buddy of mine there who wears a Phish shirt 5 of the 7 days a week haha. In my order of preference for the area, Bigby's in Addison, Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, Brixies in Brookfield, and Tap House in Westmont. Flight 112 in Elmhurst is okay, about 3 taps if I remember right and a fairly nice bottle list. Haven't tried HB Jones yet but I've heard it was nice from friends that went there, good burgers.

26. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (425) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

This place is great!!! I am a frequent visitor of the House Pub and their bottle list in UNbelievable! They also get a really good selection of drafts too! They have had DFH120 and FW Parabola on draft before, just to name a few. You can also try Wild Monk across the river it is a fairly newer Gastro-pub, it too has a good bottle list and draft list just not to the extent of The House Pub. If you are a true BA you will love both of these places.

27. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (650) Illinois Nov 14, 2012 Verified

Taphouse in Oswego ($2 awesome angus and $4 kobe burgers on tuesdays) not to mention awesome beer variety including FFF.

Fox and Hound in Aurora. 2 dollar drafts on tuesdays (36 varieties in including some nice craft beers). Lil Sumpin, Arrogant Bastard, Golden Monkey, Crooked Tree, yadi yadi list goes on. You just cant beat 2 dollar craft beers on draft.

28. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I agree, sucks that Barley House is gone. Since you are further North it is a bit of a trip, but Geneva Ale House and St Charles has House Pub, and Tap House.

If Dukes were closer to me I'd probably be there every other day.

29. craw4d

craw4d Aficionado (135) Illinois Jul 6, 2009

I go to House Pub in St CHarles and Bigsbys Pour House in Addison... sometimes Lunar Brewing in Villa Park and of course a trip to Bavarian Lodge on occasion.

30. BeerMePlze

BeerMePlze Aficionado (205) Illinois Nov 21, 2009 Subscriber

Firkin in Libertyville and Beer Market in Vernon Hills are both good

foobula likes this.
  31. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (265) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Then it's Tribes in Mokena!

tut2528 and pointyskull like this.
  32. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (480) Illinois Apr 27, 2012 Verified

A little out of the way but Gammon Coach House in Batavia usually has a good tap selection and good bottle selection too. It's a small place but the food is good and the owners are really nice too. Burton baton and some greenbush ipa on tap when I went this weekend.

33. ackeeper

ackeeper Savant (375) Illinois Dec 22, 2008

Tap House Grills. All of 'em.

foobula likes this.
  34. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Firkin is freaking awesome. I have stopped there on every trip out of Chicago for a few years now. Good food, and a really nice tap selection with a surprise bottle every now and then.

foobula likes this.
  35. je1129

Hopslam at the Binny's in st Charles by the way.

71gto likes this.
  36. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Firkin in Libertyville! My go to spot :)

37. chitownfish

chitownfish Disciple (70) Illinois May 21, 2010

Brixie's in Brookfield great old hidden gem!

foobula likes this.
  38. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (215) Illinois Dec 12, 2012 Verified

Bulldog Ale House in Roselle has a number of great taps. Tues and Thurs is 3.00 pints. Good deal, more of a sports bar but decent beer selection

39. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Savant (280) Illinois Jan 28, 2008 Verified

Firkin in Libertyville is great!... however, if you are in the area check out Whirlyball in Vernon Hills. My go to spot!!

Durb777 likes this.