Where do you drink in the 'burbs

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by fastenoughforphish, Jan 16, 2013.

1. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Blues Bar, Tap House Grill Highwood, Brixie's in Brookfield, Durty Nellie's (hit/miss on overall experience IMO), Firkin, just to name my personal faves. Seems like the options for craft beer are growing exponentially.

2. SWChi

SWChi Advocate (515) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

Chucks/Voodoo Lounge in Burbank...Blarney Stone in Oak Forest....

3. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

As mentioned above, Duke's in Crystal Lake is a real solid spot. If we're looking for a night out, the Brauerhouse in Lombard has a great beer list and usually decent bands.

4. geimerman

geimerman Zealot (95) Illinois May 12, 2012

I second all of these. Although Blues Bar is a bit further from my home.

5. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (410) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Is there a bar you can just hangout at Whirlyball? Or do you have to play whirlyball?

6. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

There's a bar you can just hang out at.

7. emerge077

emerge077 Champion (950) Illinois Apr 16, 2005

+1 to Bavarian Lodge, Firkin, Duke's, Lunar, Brixie's, Bigby's, and The House Pub.
    These are the few i've been to that seem to be a cut above the rest.

I'll add Poor Phil's & Marion St. (Oak Park), Maple Tree Inn (Blue Island), Cigars & Stripes (Berwyn), and Lake Bluff Brewing (Lake Bluff). NWI region: Beer Geeks, FFF, One Trick Pony (Lansing IL).

Check out the Places/Beerfly part of the site for more info...

8. Actually pints are $2 at bulldogs in roselle on Thursdays! Beer menu listed on beermenus

9. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

There is a bar. Had Baudoinia, Big John, Butterfly Flash Mob, Ten Fidy, Bells Java Stout, Allagash Interlude, and others on tap tonight! and lots of good stuff in the cellar!!

10. Irrational exuberance

11. foobula

If you're invoking Alan Greenspan here, I assume you're saying suburban bars are creating an unsustainable bubble by jumping on the craft beer bandwagon. Not sure I agree. I think it's at least as likely we're in the midst of a huge market correction as the crap beer bubble deflates

SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  12. JRBecks

Damn that sounds like an amazing line-up... rivals many of the draft lists at so called craft beer bars

13. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (425) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

I
    I came on here to say the same thing.

jbecke2 likes this.
  14. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Been going to fox and hound since the week it opened over 10 years ago and they have to give those kind of deals cuz the entire staff and management are a buch of jerks and seem like the could care less that ur there. I agree $2 is great but I hate them like poison.

15. Tribes (Tinley Park and Mokena), Rock Bottom (Orland Park), Smoky Barque (Frankfort)....

sleuthdog and forrestbetts like this.
  16. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

+1 on Whirlyball. When a friend and coworker took me there the first time I was like 'What the fuuu...'...and 2 minutes later I was deciding between an Avery Maharaja and FW Double Jack. And that was back when these two were truly rare taps anywhere in Chicagoland.

tjfilippo, jbecke2 and Durb777 like this.
  17. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I've been going there pretty regularly for the past 5 years and the staff changes constantly. Including management. I'm surprised u have issues there. They might not know much about craft beers, but the girls there are also very friendly. Even outside of work ;)

18. That assumption is only partially correct. Not in a negative way, but I think we are seeing a craft beer bubble - too many breweries, too many expensive yet average beers, too many soccer moms seeking zombie dust and bcbs, to be sustained. I like all the craft beer options in the 'burbs. I just don't think it will last. Call me crazy. Please. In this instance I hope I'm wrong on sustainability.

19. Um, fox and hound in Aurora opened way more than ten years ago.

20. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (170) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Correction noted...LOL.... Titled kilt has the 3.00 pints on Thursday I think....

21. ccbegg

ccbegg Initiate (20) Oct 7, 2012

Hopscotch in Franklin Park is great for both beer and brown liquor.
    Old School in Forest Park has a great tap and bottled beer selection. They also have a great short menu, especially the brisket.

ringwersen likes this.
  22. krl2112

Yes that is why my post said over 10 years ago bro.

23. krl2112

You are correct that management changes all the time. I play on a pool league that goes between there and the foundry and they treat all of us like crap. They really only care about their numbers.

24. jsjames

jsjames Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 24, 2008

Personally, Bigby's is my favorite.
    I guess having it close to work and home makes a difference...

Kubrickx likes this.
  25. IPx

IPx Savant (260) Illinois Mar 22, 2010

As others have mentioned before Durty Nellies is a good place to go in Palatine. If you ever make it out to Glenview, I really like drinking at the Yardhouse because they have a massive selection of beers on tap (albeit no really rare stuff).
    But my personal favorite is Prairie Moon in Evanston. I know one of the managers/ bartenders there and he is extremely knowledgeable on beers so he tries to procure rare/ great kegs.
    I think a World of Beer just opened in Evanston today or very soon so I'd be interested in trying that place as well.

26. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Prairie Moon is great -- just wish it was more within range of the western 'burbs.

The WoB Evanston opening-day draft list looked a lot better than the Naperville one's.

27. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

Beer Geeks in Highland, IN. Hands down one of the best places to drink good craft beer.

28. I'm disappointing the Brixies has only been mentioned once in this tread. It has to be one of the best beer bars in Chicagoland. Disclaimer I am a member of the Brixies Brewers homebrew club. They always have some great stuff on tap. Chris has been killing it with the special tappings too.

NSK79, birchholz and JRBecks like this.
  29. Also Chicagoland Winemakers for homebrew supplies. Kyle is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

30. JRBecks

I did happen to see they are having a very SICK Bourbon County variants tap takeover this week!!

31. Ya that is like the 3rd time in the past 4 or 5 months. Plus the randal program they are doing is crazy good. Central Waters BB Stout served through a randal full of coffee beans or vanilla beans a few weeks ago was amazing!

32. foobula

Hmm, I just counted 5 recommendations for Brixie's in this thread before your post, including my own. I love the place. It's become pretty much the only bar I'll go to on a Friday night, and it's a good 25 miles from home/work for me.

33. Looks like I can't count, but can recommend good bars :)

foobula likes this.
  34. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

There's a couple more of these "SICK" Bourbon County variant takeovers coming up within the next month at other suburban bars as well.

35. Cigars and Stripes in Berwyn is always an interesting good time. The BBQ wings and homemade hot sauce are great.

stevegoz likes this.
  36. aclara

aclara Aficionado (145) Illinois Mar 16, 2011

Nevins brewing co, plainfiels Taphouse......great draft selections+

37. +1 for Durty Nellies

38. Blues Bar has Big John and Night Stalker currently on tap.

39. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Tommy Nevins?