1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where do you drink in the 'burbs

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by fastenoughforphish, Jan 16, 2013.

1. aclara

aclara Aficionado (135) Illinois Mar 16, 2011

same place Limestone used to be.....now Nevins Brewing.....theyll be brewing on premise in feb/march.....great draft selections at the moment
  2. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (290) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

I bought my bottle of Rare at Durty Nellies after a Yellow Matter Custard concert.

3. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Out in St Charles I tend to favor Geneva Ale House. Like that they offer a 3 beer sampler plus the burgers are great. Wild Monk, Even Flow, House Pub, Taphouse, Niche, and Atodamadre have quality beer lists.
    jpsy422 likes this.
  4. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Naperville WoB suckssssss!!! While they have a lot of brews, quantity does not outweigh quality and hard to get. I can get most of what they have at Binnys and I would rather go to Bavarian Lodge or Palmer Place for those little harder to get brews. Plus WoB does not have food. You can bring food in but I'm not in college anymore so I would rather order my food at the place versus bring it with me.
  5. krl2112

I have not been there get but had a friend go there a couple of weeks ago and said they were very disappointed.
  6. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

For that outburst, I sentence you to a night at Rockwood Tap House. Enjoy the "large selection of draft beer — thirty-two varieties to be exact — all served at an unbelievable frosty cold 32 degrees!" :)
  7. krl2112

Sounds yummy. Where is that located?
  8. Solemn Oath rocked. Very nice bar tenders there, loved the food truck, and the psychogaze was one delicious porter! Reallllly good porter. Did I mention it's a tasty ass porter!
    NSK79 and stevegoz like this.
  9. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

I went to the Beer Market in Vernon Hills over the weekend. Nice place with a huge list of beers.
  10. cpz28

cpz28 Aficionado (195) Indiana Dec 31, 2007

The more I go to Solemn Oath, the more pissed I get that I live so far away from it. Awesome beer.
  11. SWChi

SWChi Savant (310) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

Hit up Rock Island Public House in Blue Island this past Saturday...great tap list...nice bar...
  12. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (270) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

I only live 15 mins from Solemn Oath and I don't go there enough. I love their taproom and they're brewing some really good beers. Wtf is wrong with me?
  13. cpz28

They constantly are tempting me to drive 1.5 hours to go grab some growlers; Wtf is wrong with you?
  14. PDZ

PDZ Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

I wish-
    a: solemn oath was open later
    or
    b: I had a real job that kept my nights free

anyways... bavarian lodge is my favorite, but the tap houses (esp plainfield, like someone said) have been pretty impressive as of late
  15. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

My question too -- are they brewing now?
  16. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Not yet, according to their facebook page.
  17. stevegoz

Have they expanded seating yet? The two times I was there over the summer I couldn't understand why they didn't have a few tables along the outside wall.
  18. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

I came here to say this exact same thing actually. Really enjoy the roominess of Tribes in Tinley. One of my favorite places to grab a craft beer in the south suburbs!
  19. cpz28

No, I don't know why they don't have tables either. If you've ever sat on those stools, you'd probably rather stand.
    stevegoz likes this.
  20. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (280) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Apparently, they sent the GM of the restaurant to "school" in Belgium. No quality source on that... just the word on the street
  21. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (280) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Man, I was at your work the other day and you are literally right next door to Tribes...
  22. aclara

wont be brewing til march' according to staff.
  23. aclara

Nevins bought the location after Limestone moved out, I remember someone here stating.....a brewer from Rockbottom Warrenville will be with Nbc
  24. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

I know. I heard you did an IP trade with an employee here. Tribes is dangerously close for me.
  25. technogeek

technogeek Aspirant (45) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

I live in Villa Park and have never gone. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend!
  26. Firestone Walker tap takeover TONIGHT!!! Look it up in the events looks goood!
  27. marcgo2

Oooh Cherry Rye on tap at Oswego Tap House Grill according to beermenus, and coffee. That is dangerously close to me.
  28. JakeT469

Don't get your hopes up just yet. They're not tapping those till Friday. I saw that earlier this morning and was wondering why they posted that today. They've done that once before with some other beer(s). I'll def be there tho.
  29. marcgo2

Thanks for the heads up.
  30. Whos drinking parabola with me at lunar.
  31. I was there last week on a weeknight. The bartender had to guard the door to keep people from coming in. She said they have been warned by the Naperville police to keep the headcount within the capacity rating.

I'm not sure how they can expand their capacity, but it's needed.
  32. stevegoz

Yeah, I'm supposed to swing by Solemn Oath Saturday afternoon with a few friends and I foresee us skipping ahead to the 2Bros Roundhouse earlier than expected due to crowding issues. Hope I'm wrong!
  33. But the beer at SO is SO good!
  34. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I was just there... Left @ around same time u posted this... Place is insanely hard to find, passed it twice before I even realized where it was. I came right after work (Oak Lawn) and left home to Aurora. I got there around 6:45 was probably 6th person from the left side of the bar sitting by myself and the place was pretty packed.

It's nice to go to a bar where people actually know what the fuck craft beer is. Altho the bartender looked @ me funny when I said I preferred Black note over BCBS, haha. I had 2012, 2011 parabola and Anniversary 15 (I've had 16 b4 so I didn't try it). First time I ever had parabola and loved it. Definitely worth the trip. And let me tell you after having parabola the anniversary ones dont compare. And I'm glad they had $6-6 oz snifters (didnt wanna go home shitfaced). Pretty cool looking Firestone snifters too. I wanna get one now.
  35. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, Ill b there as well. Looking forward to Baudoinia. It's not advertised ANYWHERE so I'm hoping they still have it on tap when I get there.
  36. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

I have been there once for a concert. Myself, my brother and sister and a friend all are before the show and had a couple beers each...we hardly had to pay shit for all of that. I wish the place was more accessible from the SW burbs.
  37. I think you were talking to my older brother, he got there about 30 minutes before I did and said he was talking to some BA's. Ya the pararbola's were fantastic, 12 was a bit better than 11. The Anniversaries were good too, I like 16 a lot more than the 15. And yes I wanted to take home some of those dope 6 oz snifters.
  38. JakeT469

If its possible, get there when they open and you won't have a problem. They have a 3 beer max limit which is good and bad. Good because it makes for a somewhat steady flow of people coming and going so u shouldn't have to wait to get in (I've never had to wait to get in the taproom and I've been there on weeknights and weekends). Obviously the 3 beer max is bad because you can't have more than 3 but with the size of the taproom it makes it so more people can get in and have a few brews.
  39. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Do they have flights, by chance?
  40. JakeT469

Yes sir. 4- 4oz pours of your choice. When they have a barrel aged beer or some other type of specialty beer you can substitute ONE of those in place of one of the regular offerings for a $1 more.