1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where has the Flower Power Gone?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Horbar, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I do most of my beer purchasing in Southern Mass and RI. Flower Power has been my go to IPA for a while now and the supplies have seemed to dry up the last month or so. I haven't seen fresh FP since spring time, and all the bottle since then have been nothched with an August sell by date. Has anyone seen any fresh FP around???
  2. I wish I could help you, but I've noticed the same thing. I think the last time I saw it was about 6 weeks ago. I know it comes only occassionally but I feel like in the first half of the year it was a lot more available than lately.
  3. They're going through a brewery expansion right now. Expecting that's the reason for a shortage. Temporary. Hoping this means steadier flow coming our way!!!
    Horbar likes this.
  4. There's some stale FP (expires Sept - mmmmmm onions!) @ the crappy store near me.

I hardly ever count on this beer & consider myself lucky if I get it fresh, which is the only way I'll buy it. Stumbled across a single 6 pack a few weeks ago that was fresh & tasty.
  5. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (405) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

FP has always been sporadic as far as I have seen...
  6. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Wegman's in Northborough get's a regular supply.
  7. I would say that FP was extremely regular for the first few months of the year, after a rough 2011. I could predictably get a fresh batch once a month. But I agree that I haven't seen it much at all this summer. No idea why, but the aforementioned expansion makes sense.
  8. The general consensus in upstate ny has been a hop shortage followed by the brewery move. We can't even find it within an hour or two of the brewery. Even the gift shop is shutting down on Saturday. They're supposed to be up and running in the new brewery soon - here's hoping that means a steady supply of flower power.
  9. Two places in Lowell have it on draft right now. One place has it for $5 a pint, the other $6 for 10 ounces. Go figure.
  10. I think they may have lost a brewer but don't quote me on that. We here rumors on the streets.
  11. They lost their top 2 brewers.
  12. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Not good.
  13. Nope. On the plus side, Chief is making me fantastic beers at Peekskill Brewery.
  14. Your gain is this side of NY's loss :(
  15. Yes sir!

You still have the Tap and Mallet and Tap and Table now though. Fun places!
  16. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

they've had production issues with the opening of their new brewery. flower power is currently in the tanks at the new brewery.
    Fluke828 and smutty33 like this.
  17. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

o_O
  18. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

I saw some @ Douglas Wine and Spirits in New Bedford (Dartmouth St location) two days ago. had about 3 or 4 six packs left. Last I remembered it was fairly fresh.

hope that helps.

PS: Save some for me!
  19. I am hoping to see this return to shelves soon!