1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where is Avery Uncle Jacob Batch #2?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by hitter114, May 14, 2013.

1. hitter114

hitter114 Aficionado (205) Colorado Apr 30, 2011

Still sitting on a bottle from last year, bottled in March 2012. I thought this was the newest addition to the annual barrel series, so where is Jacob this year?
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I don't know, but Uncle Jacob is mighty tasty.
    Theeabyss likes this.
  3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

4. July is the eta.
  5. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

As long as the release party is advertised in time for me to get the day off. And they let me buy 12 like Rumkin. Only 6 would make me sad. So sad I'd end up drinking all 6 to console myself
  6. bbfc

bbfc Aficionado (110) Colorado Mar 4, 2013

Is Uncle Jacobs distributed at all or is it a brewery only release?
  7. Yes it was distributed. I'd be shocked if it wasn't this year.
  8. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Hopefully they're making more this year!
  9. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Uncle Jacobs & Rumpkin have been 500 cases in the past, so I imagine so, considering the brewery only releases are in the 70-case range. Even previous BA-series that were only 140-180 cases made it to shelves.
  10. Uncle Jacob's 2013 is on the way... barring any equipment-based catastrophes, we should be able to bottle it by the end of June. Which means we'll be looking at a July release.

I won't have an exact number of cases until we do our final blending sessions, but based on the initial tasting rounds we should be looking at over 600 cases.

Fortunately, it's a really good lawnmower beer, perfect for 90 degree sunny days...

Andy Parker
    Barrel Herder, Avery Brewing Company
  11. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I'm blaming you if I mow crooked lines in my yard.
  12. SFACRKnight

So who do you blame now? :eek:
    gklover1 and CK21 like this.
  13. Jesus, that sounds like a MUI waiting to happen
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  14. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Dawg, my lines is tight. And straight. Always.
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  15. Just coming back from IN and I'm bringing some BCBS home. Anyone up for trading a UJ for BCBS? I've got other options if BCBS isn't your thing. I'd like to try UJ and don't know if I can wait until July. :)
  16. saxlover

saxlover Zealot (95) Colorado May 20, 2013

i am monitoring this thread. daily.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  17. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Crooked lines will be the least of your worries after tangling with the mighty Uncle Jacob. I am going to take the liberty of organizing a blood drive in advance. On the plus side, I hear they have made some stunning advances in the field of prosthetic feet!
    joshclauss likes this.
  18. Prospero

Just had a batch 1 last night and it is indeed drinking mighty fine right now.
  19. bitromp

bitromp Zealot (80) Colorado May 23, 2012

I had one last week and completely agree. If anyone is sitting on one you should open it up and enjoy it!
  20. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

How much is this supposed to cost? We got it out here but it continues to sit forever bc of a ridiculous $22+ price point, which I'm assuming much higher than it is out West.
  21. 'bout 10 bucks.
    xnicknj likes this.
  22. Weird, I didn't think this was distributed outside of Colorado.
  23. Prospero

Rumpkin and UJ make it out of state to very limited areas. CA is really the only other state I know of.
  24. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

:eek:

It's very good. It isn't $1.83 an oz good though. That's Rare territory.
  25. you guys just inspired me to throw one in the fridge, and digging through the cellar I realized I had more bottles than I thought. win win win
  26. I saw UJ on the shelf in Boston last spring as well. I think it was 16 bucks or so.

I am in MN, and although we have gotten Avery for many years, we haven't seen any of the limited releases roll through (at least not the past few years).
  27. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

I'm excited! I'm a huge Uncle Jacobs fan. I'd much rather have a delayed release than a lower quality product!
    Cheers!
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  28. frogfan

frogfan Savant (350) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Uncle Jacobs was available in TX last summer at $10 per, looking forward to batch #2.
  29. SFACRKnight

Sorry to inform you, but I bought entirely too little last year and have negotiated to purchase the texas allotment this year.
  30. Per the Avery calendar (http://averybrewing.com/calendar/) this is getting released on July 7 at 4pm at the brewery. The line party starts at 11am. They've yet to announce the tap list and the bottle limits.
  31. Damn it, the one Sunday I am out of town :cool:
  32. coldcrush

coldcrush Disciple (70) Colorado Mar 8, 2012

Swung by the taproom yesterday and they had a flyer up for the release party. 24 bottle limit IIRC ($12 per). Hence the appropriately titled "Cellar Building" name...

Listed Tweak, a tequila barrel aged something or other, rum barrel Czar, Rumpkin, Bad Apple and maybe one or two other special beers that I can't recall for the tap list.

Very much looking forward to this - just wish I had a couple $ hundred to spare to max out w/ a case!
  33. Carny77

Carny77 Aficionado (140) Georgia Jul 20, 2005

How do these releases usually go? I'll be in town from Atlanta, and want to swing by. I went to high school in Broomfield & am a CU grad, but this is my first Avery release. I notice that bottle limits haven't been announced, but what time will I need to be in line to ensure I don't get shut out? Is bottle sharing permitted? Thanks guys, looking forward to meeting some of you!
  34. blindpiggie

blindpiggie Savant (370) Colorado Jan 27, 2012

Probably best to get there an hour before (for peace of mind as well as killer line beers). With the case numbers Andy stated earlier in this thread there shouldn't be too much fear of getting shut out. See you in line!
  35. SFACRKnight

Is Avery the new Founders or what?
  36. This news makes me happy
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  37. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (460) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

denver10 and tacosandbeer like this.
  38. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

excellent!
    It comes at the end of my Birthday Week, But what a way to finish it up!
  39. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

avery is miles ahead of founders. nationally, avery is not very well recognized for their creativity because the barrel series doesnt make it too far from their front door. odio equum was one of my favorite sours of last year, and founders has never made anything that comes CLOSE to it. every brewery has a bourbon barrel aged stout or fifteen these days, KBS, big whoop.
    Ratman197 likes this.
  40. While I do love Avery, I wouldn't go so far as miles...while Avery releases more that only makes it around the tap room, quite a similar statement can be sound about Founders' taproom as they have many one offs that never see public eyes either...
    hopfacebrew likes this.