Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

Where is Avery Uncle Jacob Batch #2?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hitter114, May 14, 2013.

1. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,135) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Beer Trader

I'm not sure anyone is miles ahead of Founders. They brew a lot more than the Breakfast Stout variants just like Avery makes more than Uncle Jacob's.
    Avery is awesome, but let's not overreact.

2. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

founders makes awesome beers.

my litmus test for breweries these days is about how they push the envelope and a big part of that in my opinion is sour/wild beers along w/ other unique releases.

to my knowledge founders has done some "fruit" beers but never any sour, wild, brett, lacto, pedio, etc, etc.

in this respect, i view them in the same vein as my current opinion of great divide - great beers from brewers who formerly pushed the envelope to bring us all of the "big" and "barreled" beers we have now - the yeti's, breakfast stouts, etc. but who have not taken the next leap into further experimentation.

avery continues to push the creative envelope over and over and over again, in addition to having a solid stable of regular rotation beers that compete w/ the likes of founders or great divide.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  3. Prospero

Prospero Champion (785) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Beer Trader

Founders has dropped a couple spots with recent Doom, Bolt Cutter and Frangelic Mountain Brown... and the upcoming Mango Magnifico doesn't even sound good. The last good backstage beer I had from Founders was Better Half back in 2/2012. +1 as well for Avery brewing annual batches of Uncle Jacob's & Rumpkin.... Founders should have taken their successful beers like Blushing Monk & CBS and made them annuals.

4. I appreciate the kind words for sure. But I honestly wouldn't put either of us miles ahead of each other... I think we both make a lot of awesome beers. I buy a lot of Founders when I head back to the Midwest to visit family and wish I could get Centennial IPA all the time. And All Day IPA, for that matter. I'm actually hoping to make it to Founders in August, as I'll be about an hour from there.

I *do* think it's worth noting that our barrel programs operate pretty differently. They have far more barrels, which can have positive and negatives. It can make it easier to blend and make a consistent product, but it's also much more work to make that happen and do it well. The fact that they can make something as consistent as Kentucky Breakfast Stout and make it that often is very impressive. Whereas we make a single batch of Uncle Jacob's Stout a year... there are bound to be some differences between vintages of that beer due to fermentation differences, barrel variation, etc. Neither way is necessarily better than the other... both have pitfalls and advantages.

And for every experimental beer that either of us does, we're bound to run into people who don't necessarily love them. And that's totally fine. We're also bound to run into people who think that beer was top tier. That's the nature of experimentation and what makes it fun. The folks at Founders know that they could make more money by simply pouring even more resources into KBS and CBS, but they choose to do beers like Frangelic, Doom, etc. And while they haven't delved into bottled sour beers yet, they're still trying things that we haven't.

And in a semi-related note, we're bottling Uncle Jacob's right meow. And I'm very happy with this batch. I've only had the equivalent of half a bottle this morning and I can feel my productivity slipping...

Andy Parker
    Barrel Herder
    Avery Brewing Company

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (725) Colorado Jan 20, 2012 Beer Trader

Let me expand on my notion here. I'm just talking about release parties. That is all. I'm a total fucking homer, and think KBS is a pretty shitty beer compared to , let's just say, Uncale Jacob's or parabola. I agree that avery doesn't get 1/4 the love and recognition they deserve simply because their beers don't get out of the state. I just hoarded up some barrel aged mounds bar to make damn sure of it too. I should have taken the time to explain myself earlier, and that's my fault, but don't think that I meant founders is better than avery, because I don't.

6. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (560) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

'KBS' and 'pretty shitty beer' in the same sentence? That's a first! :)

seanmonaghan13 and hopfacebrew like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

Just one man's opinion. Mine tasted like band aids.

8. Domingo

Not to send this thread down the wrong road, but I've always thought KBS was one of the "hotter" tasting BA beers out there, and I'm pretty sensitive to that. Uncle Jacob's is definitely smoother tasting right out of the gate.

With Founders, I think most of their best beers aren't even their famous ones. I guess FBS is still pretty famous...but with the BA variations, it has been somewhat forgotten. They're like the Anti-Goose Island. Their normal stuff rocks.

9. dauss

dauss Advocate (655) Colorado Aug 9, 2003 Beer Trader

How about a case discount? $288 is a lot of money for beer.

10. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Advocate (575) Colorado Sep 24, 2010 Beer Trader

So buy less.

SFACRKnight and TomClem like this.
  11. Looks like the release party is July 7th. 1 case (24 beers) per person limit. Anybody know how many cases of this were produced?

Thanks!

12. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Advocate (530) Colorado Jul 22, 2005 Beer Trader

Label says 848 cases.

MighHighBrewer likes this.
  13. Thanks! Isn't that the largest BA release to date? I can't imagine this not hitting Colorado distribution.

14. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Savant (410) Colorado Mar 4, 2010 Beer Trader

:eek:

15. greg4579

greg4579 Advocate (680) Pennsylvania Jan 9, 2010 Beer Trader

Would love to get my hands on a couple. If someone is willing to pick up 2 and trade or work something out then BM me.

16. Domingo

So...if anyone is going and has no plan to meet their allotment, shoot me a message. I'll happily compensate you for your troubles.

17. Domingo

Edit - disregard that. I was thinking this was a Friday like in the old days. Since it's Sunday, it won't conflict with my Bull & Bush gravity keg fix. I'll see y'all in line!

18. staplemaniac

staplemaniac Aspirant (30) Florida Mar 10, 2013

I drove up from Florida and will be going, but I've never been to Avery. What is their policy on bottle shares?

19. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (385) Colorado May 30, 2006

Shhhh...

That's the policy for most bottle shares around these parts.

FunknWild and ablackshear like this.
  20. Anyone from Parker going? I only want about 2 bottles.

21. seanmonaghan13

seanmonaghan13 Aficionado (235) Colorado Aug 13, 2011 Verified

I'll be heading there and live in Parker. Shoot me a message if you need a bottle or two. No way I am buying 24 that will break my wallet considering FW DDBA is on the prowl soon.

22. Damnit. I have to be at a wedding in Des Moines this weekend. If anyone isn't maxing their allocation and can help me out please let me know.

23. dauss

dauss Advocate (655) Colorado Aug 9, 2003 Beer Trader

I'll be going. Not going to use up my allotment, but I can pick up a couple extra unless you can get the money to me before Sunday. Must pick up in Highlands Ranch. BM me.

24. nolimitnsb

nolimitnsb Aficionado (220) Illinois Nov 26, 2012 Beer Trader

Anyone know what the taplist is going to look like for the release party?

I may be able to pick up a few bottles for Parker people too. If you're in Parker and can get me the money ahead of Sunday send me a BM.

25. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (495) Colorado Apr 29, 2012 Beer Trader

The beers were listed on a flyer at the taproom, I can't find an exact online list. But the ones I remember are:
    Tweak , Rum barrel-aged Czar, Rumkin, a tequila aged beer Brazo Rollizo? maybe, can't quite remember.
    There's usually a few more than that, but those are all that come to mind.

26. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Beer Trader

Thanks for posting a few of these from the list on the taproom flyer. That rum BA Czar is really good stuff, and I've never had Rumpkin on tap. Should be a fun Sunday at Avery...beer releases like this and their corresponding lines are about the only lines I love to be in. For some perspective, this was what was poured at the Momi release:
    [​IMG]

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  27. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (495) Colorado Apr 29, 2012 Beer Trader

I don't recall Moloch being on the list for UJ, but I hope they have it, damn tasty beer.

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  28. TysonA

TysonA Savant (365) Washington Dec 12, 2010 Beer Trader

How quickly will this find it's way into distribution within CO? I am going to be in Colorado Springs next weekend for a few days and will be hitting up Coaltrain Wine & Spirits. Think I will be able to find it by then?

29. nolimitnsb

nolimitnsb Aficionado (220) Illinois Nov 26, 2012 Beer Trader

Doubt it. Momi Hiwa took a few weeks to hit shelves after its release at the brewery. I seriously doubt UJ would be any different. What you might do is look for an in-person trade for some or see if someone might mule for you.

30. SFACRKnight

Momi hit shelves about ten days after being released, if UJ is hand delivered as well then I would assume it will be around the 17th or 18th. Buuuuuuut they've been known to take weeks to get stuff out that way.

31. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Beer Trader

Momi was more then 2 weeks. It hit around the 26th and was on sale June 9th.

32. eawolff99

eawolff99 Champion (795) Colorado May 10, 2010 Beer Trader

Anyone willing to grab me 5 or 6 btls?? I can't make it -- but work in Boulder and live in Westminster and can meet up to pay ya back! I'll toss in something nice as a thank you...OR we can put together a bit bigger trade for some as well...just looking to stay local! Thanks so much and let me know via BM!

33. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Advocate (630) Colorado Oct 5, 2011 Beer Trader

I hope someone documents hoarderathon 2013. I'll be sitting on the sidelines waiting for it to hit the stores and picking off a bottle or two here and there.

coreymcafee likes this.
  34. eawolff99

eawolff99 Champion (795) Colorado May 10, 2010 Beer Trader

I'm all set - thanks guys!!

35. SFACRKnight

I bought bottles on the 5th in a retail store.

36. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Beer Trader

The 5th of June? They didn't go on sale at the brewery until the 9th of June

37. SFACRKnight

I may have my dates off, it was two weds after the release that I was able to get the bottles in stores. When you said it dropped, I was assuming you meant that was the release party and june 9th was the date you picked them up in distro.

38. TDavEdMac

TDavEdMac Savant (265) Colorado May 6, 2013 Beer Trader

I'm unable to make the release today but if anyone grabs 2-4 extra I'd gladly hook you up with cash and/or brews. I have some extra Ross's's' and other stuff. BM me if you can help. Thanks!

39. TDavEdMac

TDavEdMac Savant (265) Colorado May 6, 2013 Beer Trader

Looks like I should be taken care of, thank you guys :)

40. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Beer Trader

Early McGee here with the draft list:
    [​IMG]

Domingo, bitromp, Youngtubbz and 2 others like this.