1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where is Guinness Brewed?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by emillner, Mar 13, 2013.

1. emillner

emillner Aficionado (150) Virginia Jun 11, 2004

I thought that some or all of the varieties (Draught, Extra Stout) of Guinness we drink in the US is brewed in Canada. The Guinness Web site says "All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin" and an ad on the side of a delivery truck touted Dublin as the home of the beer it carried.

What is the truth?
  2. Guinness Extra Stout in the US is brewed in Canada, either by Labatt or Moosehead - it will say either, respectively, Toronto or New Brunswick (below).

In Canada, their Extra Stout is brewed by Labatt.

Guinness Draught (keg, can, bottle) and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US both come from Ireland.

For their other beers sold in the US, Smithwick's and the Black Lager are Irish-brewed, while Harp is brewed under contract in Canada sometimes (by Moosehead), Irish-brewed at others. Red Stripe has come from Canada in the recent past (cans, IIRC) and the bottles are now coming out Latrobe, PA (ex-Rolling Rock, now owned by City).

[​IMG]
    I've mentioned that comment in Guinness FAQ in emails and to their #800 operators, and they say it's an "error" and they meant to write "All the GUINNESS® DRAUGHT..." but they still haven't changed it :D Go figure, right?
    Maction likes this.
  3. emillner

emillner Aficionado (150) Virginia Jun 11, 2004

Thanks to JessKidden for confirming my understanding.
  4. St. Patty's day must be coming up. Third thread like this this week! (that I've seen... Probably more)