1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where to buy kegs in SF / Bay Area

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BNodes, Mar 15, 2012.

1. BNodes

BNodes Disciple (50) California Sep 25, 2010

I need to find some quality pony kegs for a birthday party. In the past I've purchased them from City Beer Store for a fair price, but there customer service is horrendous. Where else can I purchase kegs? I tried to convince K&L to place a special order, but they have refused to take my money. Suggestions? I should also mention that I live in Menlo Park.

2. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

You can buy kegs at Drake's.

afrokaze likes this.
  3. BNodes

BNodes Disciple (50) California Sep 25, 2010

True, Drake's does have great beer at very affordable prices, but what if I wanted a non-Drake's keg?

4. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Bevmo. they advertised they have over 100 kegs available. I don't think you have a lot of selection when it comes to kegs. Ale Industries and Heretic are other choices.

5. You can get Moonlight from Bottle Barn for around 85 to 90 dollars a pony keg. Make sure you call in advance and order it up if you're on a time schedule so that it can be delivered to Bottle Barn from Brian.

It's hard to beat Reality Czeck on tap when its at your house.

6. What kind of beer are you looking for in 5 gal kegs?

7. BrewerB

BrewerB Savant (430) Florida Mar 5, 2008

Not sure if it's too late to chime in on this but New Star-Ell Liqour on Divisadero near Fell has a great beer selection and signs indicating they sell kegs. Never asked for their keg list but given their bottle selection, I'd have high hopes.

8. Gambac

Gambac Aficionado (155) California Sep 14, 2010

Little far from Menlo Park, but damn, you just gave me a hell of an idea for when I return!

9. I live right by there and the keg list doesn't really match the bottle selection. They're one of those liquor stores that says they can get anything but it takes a little patience to communicate exactly what you want and it can take some time until the keg arrives. Also, since you're specially ordering kegs, you often won't get the exact price until it comes in. I once ordered a Moonlight keg directly from Brian Hunt and he dropped it off at New Star-ell for me. I told them it was coming in (which was an awkward phone call to make) and it was a pretty easy transaction, actually.

Their website shows a bunch of options but, again, this is more stuff they can get easily, and not a list of what they currently have in stock or what they can get if you really pressure them for a unique order.
    http://www.newstarell.com/kegs.htm

The only really negative experience I had there was when I returned an empty keg after a few months and I didn't have my deposit receipt. They keep a box of keg deposit, too, but didn't have a record of mine. So, I didn't get my deposit back. In hindsight, maybe I could have pushed the issue and asked them to "buy" it back from me without any receipts but I just dropped it off and left without my cash.

10. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

The fact that you walked away empty handed was your fault, not theirs. Should've kept the keg!

11. In my small San Francisco apartment, I'm already lucky that my wife supports keeping a kegerator. I'm sure I'd be pushing my luck if I start keep empty kegs lying around!

12. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Dang, I totally feel ya on that one. It's a good warning either way, so thanks for sharing!