1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where to find Craft Beer in Maui?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by canucklehead, Mar 10, 2012.

1. smaisch

smaisch Aficionado (165) California Nov 23, 2009

2. Rodeo General Store in Makawao has a pretty good selection. Also, Hawaii Liquor Superstore is near the airport in Kahului and is fairly decent.

3. Thanks , I went into the Rodeo store in Makawao but it was it was only average , the store in Paia was better. I never got to the Hawaii Liquor Superstore though.

4. I assume you mean The Wine Corner? That was a pretty good store especially since they sell singles. Unfortunately, Maui and Kona are the only breweries in Hawaii that are worth getting. I tried some Mehana and Hawaii Nui beers and they were all pretty disappointing.

5. Yes it was the Wine corner in Paia. The Mehana beers are average for sure. The Castaway IPA from Kona is great but hard to find on tap in Maui

6. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Hate to threadcrap but anyone know a good place on the big island?

7. July2Nov

July2Nov Savant (415) Hawaii Aug 27, 2006

Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea & Humpy's Big Island Alehouse are great places to visit for on-tap offerings.

8. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I found Hawaii Liquor Superstore the best for take-aways and Monkeypod the best for on-premise consumption:
    http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/beer-list
    Sadly didn't get a chance to go to Maui Brewing Co (damn organised tours!)

9. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (520) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Slim pickins overall. Maui Brewing is okay. Wine Corner in Paia is pretty average but a bit better than Makawao General Store. The local beers I've had are mostly pretty plain, excepting the Coconut Porter. But a feller can survive pretty well on Duschuttes and Sierra Nevada while enjoying the tropical paradise.

10. Also be careful on the draft selections. I was at Monkeypod three weeks ago and ordered Sculpin and it was a terrible malt bomb. I've had many IPAs on Maui and Oahu and its very tough to find one not past it's prime due to the travel time. Some come over quicker and cooled but you need to ask.

11. Maui_Rob

Maui_Rob Initiate (20) Hawaii Dec 14, 2013

Tamura's Liquors on Dairy Rd in Kahului has the best selection on the island. Grabbed a case of BCBS and a few bottles of The Abyss there in the past week. Whole Foods also has a better than average selection.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013