Where to find Pliny the Elder in Denver

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Vtcraftbrew, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vtcraftbrew

Vtcraftbrew Aspirant (40) Nov 4, 2012

Visiting Colorado for a few weeks over xmas. Does anyone know a bottle shop that stocks Pliny the Younger? Would like to bring a few bottles back to Vt but would be happy to have it on draft too.

2. denver10

denver10 Poobah (1,020) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

The Younger?

Some places, like Argonaut, can have The Elder on the shelves but they go really quickly and there is a good amount of time between shipments. Unless you are in town relatively close to the time it hits the shelves, I wouldn't expect to find any bottles. You might be able to have more luck hitting up Falling Rock Taphouse to see if its on tap there; and I find that beer to be a lot better on tap than via the bottle.

Tons of great IPA's and IIPA's in Denver that missing out on Pliny shouldn't be a huge deal, aside from not getting to experience what all the hype is about. Odell's IPA and Dry Dock's Seven Seas IIPA are the two I'd be on the lookout for. Odell's Myrcenary IIPA gets a ton of love too, though for whatever reason that is about the only Odell beer I am not too high on.

alexipa likes this.
  3. Definitely at the Argonaut near downtown on Colfax. Shelves are often wiped out, but the crew their sometimes has a bottle or two in the back. My last two trips it's worked out for me. Great beer, but packs a lot of hype for sure. Also, grab dinner at Stuebens right by there -- nice beers, great food!

4. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Verified

I'll second denver10. From my experience, it's ALL about timing, much like it is probably anywhere else. I've never bought Pliny in Denver, but I have picked it up at Bubbles in Castle Rock and Cheers in Colorado Springs. And again to second the above post, there are a lot of other really good IPAs and DIPAs in the state that missing out on Pliny won't seem like a real big deal. That said, the following thread captures quite a bit of strong recommendations on that front from a local perspective:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/colorado-ipa.49002/

Also, Trinity in the Springs claims it's on tap (as of 11/20), but I'd call ahead before making the drive:
    http://www.trinitybrew.com/beer.php

EDIT: and to confirm fredmugs, FR also lists Pliny on draft: http://fallingrocktaphouse.com/beer/

5. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,120) Indiana Aug 11, 2012 Verified

If you want it on draft go to Falling Rock taphouse. That and a whole shitload of awesomeness.

6. denver10

That draft list is from July.

Falling Rock is terrible with updating their draft list online. I think they should just remove it from their site to avoid this kind of confusion and false hope.

I learned my lesson the hard way unfortunately.

fredmugs likes this.
  7. fredmugs

Yeah I know about the online list. I had Pliny there is Sept on a hiking trip. I also had it and Blind Pig at Oskar Blues Liquid and Solids but they had just tapped it so I was lucky there.

8. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Verified

Sadly, Trinity's updates can also ebb and flow with accuracy...although I'm pretty sure they had a Pliny tapping w/n the last week.

9. denver10

One of the things I most appreciate about places like Freshcraft and The Mayor of Old Town is their consistent and accurate updating of their taplists. Its why I often end up hitting them up over the other great spots that fail to do so.

hopfacebrew and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  10. fredmugs

Of course I'm referring the Elder and not Younger. Getting some Hercules at Great Divide was pretty sweet too.

11. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (310) Colorado Sep 17, 2010 Verified

Pliny hits Denver once every 4-6 weeks roughly. When it does hit the first places will get it Wednesday, and the other Thursday or Friday. It's usually all gone from each place within a day or so, with the exception that it will occasionally linger at Argonaut for a couple days since they get a decent amount and have a one bottle limit. If you're here one of those weeks you'll have a good shot, otherwise you're out of luck, unless you're here within a couple weeks afterwards in which case you could probably work out an IP trade

12. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

To answer the OP directly: Not a single bottle shop in Colorado or any other state, from my knowledge, stocks Pliny the Younger. It is provided Draft Only at various times of the year.

Pliny the Elder can be found, as others have stated, at just about every major store in the metro area. That is, only when it is delivered and usually for only hours; days if you are lucky. We are rumored to be getting some this coming week. The first shipment since GABF. There are still stores that have some from that last shipment. Why the distributor continues their support for stores like this a travesty. Drink as fresh as possible! I'd keep an eye out on this forum for updates closer to your arrival.

13. Vtcraftbrew

Thanks for the advice. What i meant to ask for was Pliny the Elder since i knew the Younger was only a limited draft release. I'll try my luck at the Argonaut, Falling Rock, and Trinity.

14. I was in Falling Rock about a week and a half ago and they were out, but I did score some at Cheeky Monk last week. I realize it can all change day to day but perhaps it might help you in your search.

15. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

nice axe for your avatar.

i think pliny should be coming in this week. if it is, argonaut will have it wednesday. w/ a 4 bottle limit, this is the best place to go.

16. Ciani

Ciani Zealot (85) Missouri Jul 8, 2009

Argo is now a 1 bottle limit....

17. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (310) Colorado Sep 17, 2010 Verified

...and they get it on Fridays

18. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (365) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I'm surprised by how little love Backcountry Pizza and Taproom gets on here or in the area. Me and my brother took a chance on it and loved it, had Pliny while I was there. Friend them on Facebook, they update their Taplist daily, although I just checked and Pliny isn't on right now.

19. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

They started that in July and it's my suspicion that they did that just so they could hold back some Pliny for GABF, hence why we saw July Pliny on the shelf during GABF week, then we saw September date, then October Pliny, all in one week. With GABF over, I'm hoping they go back to the 4-bottle limit, or at least 2-bottles.

20. alexipa

alexipa Savant (455) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I think Backcountry is the best kept secret in Colorado as far as beer goes. I've gotten some pretty crazy rare beers there before, all with very little markup. Their cellar is huge and filled with the likes of Cantillon, Lost Abbey, Fantome, tons of RR, Jolly Pumpkin, hard to find Avery, 3F, Crooked Stave, etc.

BeerSlingerMike likes this.
  21. Pliny has made it to Denver...picked up two bottles from Mr. B's today

22. Vtcraftbrew

Too bad I won't be in Denver until 12/16. Thanks for the heads up.

23. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

That's actually the week it should hit next, maybe the week of the 23rd. We normally get the first week of the month's batch typically 8-10 days after it's bottled.

24. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

headed out to argonaut and mayfair today hoping to come home w/ 6 pliny, knowing it was in stock @ both shops. disappointed to find the 1 bottle limit still in effect at argonaut. still got 2 from mayfair, along w/ a couple of the new batch of supplication and an abyss.

25. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Advocate (530) Colorado Sep 3, 2008 Verified Subscriber

Three different stops in three different locales and we now have 12 bottles to take back to IL next week. My better half's youngest is stoked as he can get just about anything he wants in Chi-town for Pliny.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  26. Vtcraftbrew

What store did you go to?

27. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Verified

It was still at Argonauts yesterday.

28. chango

chango Savant (280) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

We get Elder on Fridays... when we get it.
    In good times we get it every other week... but more often it's every 3 weeks... and since GABF it's been once a month... or more.
    Might I interest you in some fine Colorado double IPA's?

And, more love for Backcountry. Great sessionable beers.

harperman69 likes this.
  29. holden303

holden303 Aficionado (160) Colorado Jun 18, 2010

where do you work that has gotten it every other week!?

30. chango

chango Savant (280) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

The big place in Highlands Ranch.

tacosandbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.