Africa Where to Get African Beers in the USofA

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by JohnMark, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JohnMark

JohnMark Initiate (20) Jan 22, 2013

Other than Tusker and Casablanca, beers from the African continent are hard to find in the USA. Anyone know of stable sources? Thanks,

2. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Oddly enough, the 7-11 by my apartment has several beers from Ethiopia. They also have injera on the bread aisle, instead of just Wonder bread.

I've thought about giving the beer a try, but it's not on my radar.

3. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (630) Florida Nov 26, 2003

I have seen a few from the Dark Continent at my local pub over the years. Others than Tusker I cannot recall which off the top of my pointy dome, however. All were lagers, best as I recall, though one may have been a stout. Wow, that was almost useful info. I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in.

4. I would be willing to throw down a simple trade or some paypal cash to try some worth trying.

Duff27 likes this.
  5. I am not sure there are any brews from Africa that are worth trying :p

The South African craft beer scene is improving, so maybe there will be some good ones coming out in the next year or two.

6. I'd not bother with beers from Africa. I've spent a while traveling in East and southern Africa and never found any really good beer apart from a couple of very small breweries in South Africa. "Local Beer" is interesting but not something that will be for export. It made made from maize and what ever else is available. It's drunk to get drunk but some of it is interesting. Get on a 'plane and try it.

SixThousandDollars likes this.
  7. Reminds me of traditional inca corn beer.
    It was tasty, and at least they didnt try to hide the corn.....I'm looking at you ABinbev...

8. Beetles

Beetles Disciple (60) Texas Feb 25, 2014

There are many wonderful favors of Africa used in crafting beer. Keep an open mind as do I when drinking America beer

Duff27 likes this.
  9. rab53

rab53 Champion (765) Washington May 1, 2005 Verified

I'd be down with a trade for some African beer, if only to travel vicariously through the bottle.

10. It should be. When Harar and Bedele are in their prime, it's good. And not the typical macro swill you see from most other countries. Consistency/freshness seems to be an issue, but damn I love those beers.

Where in VA are you, btw? If I'm in the area I'd like to stop by to get some.

11. Hello all,

I see it's been a while since anyone has posted in this group... I'm from South Africa and after travelling around on the continent, I've concluded that there are far nicer beers in other African countries than the ones I get at home. I would kill to get a Tusker here but it looks like that's near impossible. Envy all of you who can buy it in the States!

12. Welcome.. Are you in the UK? You could get it there a few years ago in one of the big supermarkets, sorry can't remember which one. Tusker is my favourite African beer so far, it's even better though in Kenya!
    If you are in the UK and want to find Tusker you might want to post in the UK section where you'll find loads of friendly beer lovers who'll help you. Cheers:)

13. KeithE

KeithE Savant (360) Illinois Sep 10, 2013

Hi Africanbeer, I just came back from your beautiful country about a week ago. The only disappointing thing were the local beers. I tried quite a few and couldn't come up with anything I really liked. How excited can a person get about Castle Lite?Probably the best local beer I tried was from Stellenbrau.

14. aschwab

aschwab Advocate (585) Texas Mar 3, 2009

The number of SA craft breweries is quickly expanding. I am guessing you did not venture out to many bars that specialize in them or look for stores that have them for sale? I am assuming you were talking about South Africa?

KeithE likes this.
  15. KeithE

Thanks, I tried some beers from Zambia, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. Basically they were lagers that were okay but nothing special. In South Africa I went to several bars in Cape Town that had extensive beer selections and the only craft I came across was Stellenbrau which is made in the Stellenbosch region which is known for their wines. I did see a sign for a bar that mentioned craft beer, but I did not stop in and probably assumed it had a similar beer list. You figure if you go into a bar and they have a beer list of 4 pages and the best one is similar to something you would see on a BA scale of 3.0 or less (except for Heineken and Guinness) then it would be fruitless to keep looking for something worthwhile. It would be cool if they had some better beers because overall the trip was amazing and that was probably the only thing lacking.

16. aschwab

Ha, I know that feeling. I was in Lisbon last month and saw a place called Museo de Cervejeria. It was a beer bar, restaurant and museum. I got all excited until I walked in. It was just all macro beer from all of Portugal and ex-Portuguese colonies.

Cool concept, but not my thing. I later found a bottle shop/beer bar which was more my thing.

The only reason I know about SA is that I have been doing quite a bit of research on it online and where to grab beers for my trip. There are a bunch of craft breweries there now and some decent looking beer bars. Needless to say, I know I will be drinking some macros here and there, but I am definitely looking forward to hitting up some taprooms when I get the chance.

KeithE likes this.
  17. KeithE

You will have a great time. It's an amazing country. Hopefully you get to check out Kruger while you are there. We went to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, Chobe National Park in Botswana, and Sabi Sands in SA. It's much different seeing wildlife in their natural settings then in the zoo. In Cape Town there are a lot of places by the V and A Waterfront to check out including the craft beer place I mentioned. Also on Long Street I remember there being a place called Beerhouse but I didn't go there. From what I saw the emphasis on beer was for cheap and not quality so I hope you are not going there just for the beer! Also at the bars I visited it seems like there was more emphasis on getting drunk than what you see in the US.

I was in Lisbon last year. I didn't see any craft beer while I was there and mostly drank Heineken. It seems like Heineken or Guinness are my default beers after I have tried all the local stuff. Note: When I travel its usually with the wife and my daughter so they don't give me endless time to figure out where to drink beer and usually there has to be a food element to it too! On the same trip we also went to Madrid. They had lots of beer taverns but again I didn't come across anything worthwhile. It seems like I can go to my neighborhood tavern and drink either Lagunitas, Bells, Revolution etc. on tap and they will be infinitely better than what I found on these trips.

18. aschwab

Yeah, I am still in the planning phases but have the tickets bought and the bungalow in Kruger booked. I know we are making it up to Zambia/Zimbabwe to Victoria Falls, but still need to book those flights. Botswana is a possibility as a daytrip from Zimbabwe, but we have not gotten into that much detail - probably just decide when we get there if we want to.

You know, Beerhouse actually looked decent. I am guessing they have a lot of macros too, but their menu online looked like they had a lot of local stuff too. Who knows, I figure it is going to be an OK chain beer place at best from an American standpoint.

And, I am definitely not going on this one for a beer trip. I just try to incorporate beer into my trips as much as I can. The place in Lisbon I found was more off the beaten track, but was relatively new (9 months old or so). But, they had about 10 taps, some local craft, some American craft (Rogue and Flying Dog I believe), and then an OK bottle selection of the bigger Euro craft players (Mikkeller, Beerblioteca(?), BrewDog, etc). But, it was a nice break from Sagres/Super Bock.

KeithE likes this.
  19. KeithE

If you go to Victoria Falls there is a good place to eat and drink right inside the park entrance on the Zimbabwe side. It has high ratings on tripadvisor. I recommend the day trip to Chobe. It will be a lot different than Kruger, not as many big cats and no rhinos, but lots and lots of elephant, giraffe and baboons. Kruger has 10,000 elephant, Chobe has over 200,000 elephant in less than 5% of the land area Kruger has. Also the terrain is quite different too. The first day in Chobe we saw a dead elephant on the side of the road that died of natural causes with vultures and hyenas going in and out of it. I don't think you would see something like that in Kruger. Good luck with your trip!

aschwab likes this.
  20. DoubleSimcoe

DoubleSimcoe Champion (810) Pennsylvania Jan 7, 2009 Verified

It wouldn't be fair to compare the craft beer scene in Madrid with what you're used to in Illinois... while Madrid (and Spain) is still drinking mostly watery lagers, the craft beer scene has been growing steadily and there are now a number of quality bars and brewpubs around.

Check out the Madrid Beer Guide here on BA- stores like Cervezorama and bars like Irreale are as good as any spots in the US. Cheers!

KeithE likes this.
  21. KeithE

I'm sure your right. As a tourist I spent most of my time in the open plazas or taverns adjacent to them so didn't have a chance to visit the stores so much. Also I must add it is a great place to visit. We have really enjoyed it every time we have been there. People are really friendly and there is so much to see and do. The last visit was to see our daughter while she was doing a study abroad program. I was actually really impressed that beer is coming on so strong there now. It's just not wine drinking and olives anymore.....now its beer and potato chips!

22. Benjhilmer

Benjhilmer Savant (260) Indiana Apr 16, 2015 Verified

I had some Nile in Uganda last summer. Nothing special but I'd love to find some in the Midwest for sentimental reasons. Anybody have any leads?