1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where to get Cantillon Beers?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by XpensiveBieros, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Anyone know where you can purchase Cantillon beers in the New England area? I'm assuming MA would be the best place?

Thanks for the assistance...

2. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

I have seen them occasionally in VT, but they are really hit or miss anywhere. I can't help you with MA, though.

Also, this would probably get more help in the New England forum.

3. In MA? Good luck. Julio's in Westboro gets maybe one shipment a year, and it's usually gone within an hour. I got one bottle in 3 years, and it was from Redstone in Stoneham in a lottery. As far as the rest of New England, maybe Portland ME would be a decent option? CT and RI and fairly weak for distribution and don't have many shops to choose from regardless.

4. If you really want it, you'll need to order online from one of the Euro sites. Swallow hard when you see the shipping cost.

5. protip: you really won't find it on the shelves.

The better stores get shipments but at this current time it's like 1-2 cases, 6 if you're a big store. (6 bottles to a case). Most cantillon is kept off-the-shelf these days.

Get buddy-buddy with a store owner. The last 6 or so bottles of cantillon I've come across here in the RI/MA area I've gotten advance notice of, or the owner asks me if I want any when I'm making a regular purchase.

MIA4IPA likes this.
  6. Where do you find them in MA? I've only known of two stores to get any shipments in. And I frequent at least 5 stores, all of which I am first name basis with.

7. I've had luck at the Yankee's Spirits stores - they actually put a bunch on the shelf the last time it came around. I bought two Cuvee Des Championes, a Lamvinus and a gueuze or two. This was prob. over a year ago, though. Fall 2011 or Spring 2012.

In RI I've gotten occasional bottles at Nikki's- they only get like a case (6 bottles of 375s) at a time. haven't seen them at the other two I go to, Campus (too small) and bottles (I'm sure they'd cost $50 a bottle there). I but prob. 95% of my beer between Nikki's and Yankees, though.

8. It's been damn near impossible to stir any up though. I am going to eventually just get them from Canada or from the EU- going to buy a ton/go in on a box with friends to lessen the sting of shipping.

cavedave likes this.
  9. Thanks for all the responses!

10. Do you live in RI, or near the Cape? I'm in Boston, so I've gone to and Facebook stalk stores from Boston to Worcester.

I actually have been to Nikki's once before. My bro got married in Bellingham, so I trekked down there and thought they had decent selection, and managed to find a bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown, which seemed like a good idea at the time. I haven't checked out Yankee's yet.

11. MIA4IPA

MIA4IPA Aficionado (240) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

If you can't find any my buddies and I have done this a few times. It's expensive but if you have a few guys to go in on the case IMO it's totally worth it. Belgiuminabox.com

12. It's illegal in MA, so you would have to circumvent the law. I plan on trying this soon, I know people have done it, but there's always a risk.

13. I live in Providence, so I'm 5 minutes from the MA line.
    FMB and BCS are still on the shelves here. Perks of a less active beer geek community.

Yankee's are great stores- large large selection and good knowledgeable beer staff.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  14. Cantillon split bottles come 12 to a case. You just doubled your chances of getting one!

15. Other than Nikki's, I couldn't find a decent shop, so it seems like it would be a good area to treasure hunt at random locations.

16. B & C in Smithfield had some Classic Gueuze last month, it lasted about a week.

ShogoKawada and jtdolla911 like this.
  17. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

The brewery. Probably costs the same to get railed online.

18. Does anyone know of a reputable EU beer site?

19. I basically split a case with a friend awhile back. I don't remember the exact price but it was pretty reasonable since our package was maxed out. Also helped the Bio-gueuze was like 40% off or something crazy at the time. Got one of those awesome man-made clay Fantome steins too.

20. I'm a fan of Etre Gourmet, but there are a few others options like Belgium in a Box and so on.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  21. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Savant (375) New Mexico Nov 3, 2009

For a reputable beer site, I ordered from these guys about 2 months ago and my shipment arrived from Belgium to New Mexico in about 10 days.

http://belgiuminabox.com/shop/

22. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Etre Gourmet. They have some cool glassware too.

23. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Have you tried B&C in Johnston? Just saw a Cantillon 375ml classic on the shelf there, I only passed because I have three in my closet right now.

In fact, B&C is the only place that I have personally seen Cantillon on the shelves - picked up 2 Iris, 2 Classic Geuze, and a 2005 Kriek (they were just sitting in their basement, per the clerk) and this is all since about September of 2012, so they get a decent amount, but as far as when it comes in - it's completely random.

B&C runs neck in neck with Nikkis as far as good selection, it's less trafficked, so big releases and really nice belgian beers sit on their shelves for a while until discriminating BAs like myself come and snatch them up. Got a 2008 Allagash Interlude the other day, in fact.

But yeah when it comes to Cantillon - it's basically just luck

24. The legality is actually a pretty gray area. You're fully allowed to bring personal amounts of alcohol into the country, and there's nothing illegal about shipping alcohol via Fedex. If you go Belgian/German postal service and it gets handed off to the USPS, that might be more questionable, but even then, you won't have any issues.

http://www.ttb.gov/importers/personal_importation.shtml

Bottom line - if it's illegal, it's like driving 66 on a 65mph highway... Sure, there's a chance something happens, but realistically speaking it's 1 in a million.

If you want more than a bottle or two, just order online. That's what half the people on this site do...

25. I work for the Post Office, and it is definitely illegal to shop beer/wine/liquor through the USPS, but only if they catch it. Besides, I wouldn't want to use the post office, they do not know what "fragile" means.

If caught, you wouldn't get arrested, but the package would be seized and/or returned.

I've used UPS once and it was fine, so I'll try from belgiuminabox or etregourmet soon

26. Yeah, I realize it's technically illegal, but they also can't open a package without a warrant, so it's a bit of a paper tiger law. The handling is great reason not to ship with USPS, but it is a preferred/cheaper carrier when importing from Europe.

27. I've given up buying Cantillon in the US - crazy expensive and very limited disbursement. Now I pre-order it once a year, buy it all through private importation through Canada, and pick it up in Quebec. Much cheaper and more variety available, but it takes awhile to arrive.

28. In short, as previously mentioned you basically have to know the beer guy at better stores.

29. We get it in when its available..(The Beer Shop 33 Harkness ave E. Longmeadow, MA 01028)(we're about 20 minutes away from from the importer) But from what we've heard from the rumor mill, the last 2 shipments came in bad.. I'm sure you can find a good craft beer store close to you that can get it. Where are you at? If you're near Boston, check the craft beer cellar... If you're in CT I've heard that Harvest Fine Wines & Spirits in West Hartford is awesome. If your in Rhode Island, Bottles of Fine Wine is a great place. Hope that helps ...

XpensiveBieros likes this.
  30. No cantillon in ct unfort for us :( so that means all of our neighbors should hook us ct residents up ;)

31. codysjb

codysjb Savant (425) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I assure you being 20 minutes away from a national importer doesn't make you any more likely to get Cantillon than it does my local store in Tallahassee, FL. I say this with a relatively decent amount of experience being that I graduated from Umass in May before moving down here and I can tell you places in Amherst haven't seen it in years when places in FL get it occasionally (as do places in MA but Western Ma has been sparse for a while).

32. Thanks for the info...I am in Portsmouth, NH but traveling a lot for work all around New England so...

33. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I was at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, VT, this weekend and they have several Cantillon's on their bottle list, including Lou Pepe. They were between $25 and $40 dollars, and I'm not sure if you can walk out with them. But, that's an option.

34. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

On-site consumption only at Three Penny, unfortunately. But yeah, that place is awesome.

sandman3479 likes this.
  35. It amazes me how much Cantillon I see on the menus in VT. But then again, I've passed in favor of the locals every single time, so I suppose the answer is pretty obvious.

gdkersey and Gosox8787 like this.
  36. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

There you go. Instead of drinking the Cantillon's, everyone is dropping ca$h on Hill Farm and Lawson's tap beers. So the Belgians pile up in sad loneliness :D

37. Several places around Boston have the same options. As well as Armsby Abbey in Worcester.

38. And since the whole Hobo crew is in Belgium right now, expect to see some show up there soon enough.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  39. I see your point. Like the Importer for Chimay is in Tx, and only 6 states got the 150th ann. Chimay and Tx wasn't one of them. In this case though, I assure its different.

40. Hook me up with some FMB- I want to try this!
    Cheers!
    Drew