1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Where To Get Vermont Brews?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by josephwa, Mar 7, 2013.

1. josephwa

josephwa Member

I've got a friend (non beer expert) that is willing to bring some brews back from Vermont and I'm hoping to get some local gems, such as Heady, Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, etc.

Can someone let me know of a great beer store in any of the cities below to do so?

Essex, Essex Jct, Burlington, and South Burlington.

Thank you!
  2. pjl44

pjl44 Member

Check out each brewery's website, as they have all the specific information you could need about how, when, and where they distribute.
  3. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

Hill Farmstead @ the brewery
    Lawson's @ the Warren Store (largest outlet, call first), Hunger Mt Co-op (limited), Winooski Discount Bevy(limited)

These are not shelf beers, so don't approach it as such.
    sandman3479 likes this.
  4. yasky

yasky Member

youbrew is spot on. The Warren store usually has a limit of 4 Lawsons bottles per person. They can disappear pretty fast as the weather gets nicer.

Most times I've been to Winooski their limit has been 1 bottle per person for each different Lawsons' they have. Both places have limits on Heady Topper as well, though not as strict.

For Hill Farmstead you'll likely be setting the GPS and hitting the farm.
  5. SupremePie

SupremePie Member

If your friend is unwilling to leave the area, you more than likely are not getting any Hill. Your best bet would be to send him to Beverage
    Warehouse in Winooski which is in between Burlington and Essex. They get Heady Topper in on Weds and Lawsons in on Fri though they do implement 1 case/1 bottle respective limits
  6. josephwa

josephwa Member

Thanks a ton for your help everyone!!
  7. Brad007

Brad007 Member

There is no "1 case" limit on Heady Topper. I watched several people with NJ plates load up 2 shopping carts worth of cases at one time.
  8. SupremePie

SupremePie Member

Sometimes they don't enforce the limit, sometimes they do....
  9. Trackim

Trackim Member

They recently just started a stricter one case limit because of supply. They are not getting as much as they were because alchemist is keeping more at the cannery and spreading it over VT more.
  10. celfan

celfan Member

more at the brewery equals more in NJ.

they should set the stores up more.
  11. Flashy

Flashy Member

they should become a normal company and make enough for everyone- and boost the crappy economy in Vermont- god knows they need it. Providing they can keep up the quality (something the British and Germans had been doing for 500 years).
  12. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Member

In total agreement here. Especially if we're to believe Kimmich in this article that they won't grow past 9,000 bbls. I can understand not wanting to grow massive, but it would be nice if they grew enough to supply New England
    Flashy likes this.
  13. jamvt

jamvt Member

What exactly is a "normal company", grumpy?
  14. franklinn

franklinn Member

Lets all whine some more
  15. celfan

celfan Member

ok

i thought this batch of Double Sunshine was off
    franklinn likes this.
  16. franklinn

franklinn Member

The last batch definitely had more sunshine than this one
    sandman3479, davey101 and SupremePie like this.
  17. howopeeps

howopeeps Member

Does alchemist have a case limit
  18. Trackim

Trackim Member

Yes. 6
  19. Flashy

Flashy Member

Build a larger base, influence new customers, hire more employees, have your suppliers hire more employees- heck make the liquor stores hire more employees to handle the rush- instead of sitting back and saying "I make great stuff dude- drive up here and get it if there is any left."
  20. Horbar

Horbar Member

Maybe John Kimmich doesn't want to have a giant brewery and wants to run the brewery at a capacity, that he feels will give him the best quality of life. Not everyone wants to get filthy rich running some giant company. The bigger they get, the bigger the headaches get.

For now, he does have the luxury of sitting back and letting people come to him. Nothing wrong with that. Seems like an optimum business plan.
  21. jamvt

jamvt Member

Sorry grumpy, this business model is not realistic nor what the Alchemist ever intended to be.
    franklinn, youbrewidrink and MarkF150 like this.
  22. Flashy

Flashy Member

Successful?
  23. Flashy

Flashy Member

Long lasting? You want the list of breweries who have made excellent beer for centuries...to a large audience...it's hard unprecedented. Of course I am grumpy, I just spent $25 on a four pack of Bourbon County (which I don't think I really like above half).
  24. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

I believe you have them confused with A-B.
  25. meadnbrew

meadnbrew Member

No, not A-B, but any craft brewer that can consistently put out enough beer to distribute either to: their region, or an even larger market.
  26. Flashy

Flashy Member

sorry, meant to say "and long lasting!" and "hardly unprecedented."
  27. Flashy

Flashy Member

In-Bev says "I make great stuff dude- drive up here and get it if there is any left."
  28. Flashy

Flashy Member

Stone makes enough incredible beer and ales to cover the US.
  29. Horbar

Horbar Member

I like Stone, but they don't make anything as good as Heady.

Why are you so aggitated that Alchemist doesn't want to have tremendous expantion? You even live in Vermont.
    youbrewidrink likes this.
  30. StylzMC

StylzMC Member

...and you're from Vermont. 90% of business in Vermont are small... should they, too, do what you THINK is the right way to run a business? Shame on him for doing what he wants with his company. You should write him a letter to take on multi-million dollar expansions and putting up his business and other personal assets as collateral. Make him understand how he should now follow your vision for what all craft breweries should be. While you're at it, tell him what and how to brew, too. /rant
  31. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

He's pissed that they don't deliver to his house:D
    franklinn likes this.
  32. jamvt

jamvt Member

Grumpy...I'm pretty sure Stone didnt grow anywhere near as fast as the Alchemist has in their first 18 months as a production brewery.
  33. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

Point taken. And Sierra Nevada is even better; stellar quality and cheap.

But I think John is like one of those cranky old VT farmers you profess to love... he'll do what he wants.
    youbrewidrink likes this.
  34. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Member

Because he's not from here, and he doesn't get it. Read the article in the Free Press about why John does what he does, and maybe you will get it - it's not all about what YOU want. Surely you've heard this mantra?: "I'm a Vermontuh, and I do what I wantuh." I.e. Dont' tell me how to live my life or run my (very successful) business!" 'Course John isn't from here either, but he's successfully adopted the native attitude - woot, I say!
    telejunkie likes this.
  35. StylzMC

StylzMC Member

And remember, don't pronounce the t's.
  36. telejunkie

telejunkie Member

At my local bottle shop I can get Long Trail, Magic Hat, Otter Creek, Harpoon, Rock Art, Switchback & Trout River if you're having a hard time finding any of those...
    franklinn likes this.
  37. Flashy

Flashy Member

HT was available in Southern Vt and after expansion it no longer is?! He can do what he wishes with his company- but why can't the make just a little more and send it this way. So the owner is happy by staying small- but depriving tens of thousands of beer drinkers of his product- hardly fair- "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
  38. howopeeps

howopeeps Member

Any good breweries to visit besides alchemist Lawson's and Hill farmstead
  39. Trackim

Trackim Member

Fiddlehead. Long trail. Magic hat.
  40. SupremePie

SupremePie Member

Bobcat Cafe
    OtisCampbell and skivtjerry like this.